News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power with a blower 68...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, December 08, 2014, 05:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

I read somewhere (I cant find it now  ::) ) that this 68 charger with a 440 blown from Sweden produced only 450Hp to the wheels?  Wouldn't that mean the blower essentially producing no boost at all since a built up 440 can do that alone?

Ghoste

450 to the rear wheels?  That's a helluva lot more than a stock 440 is sending back there, they weren't even doing that at the crank when they rated them for gross hp.

six-tee-nine

Calculated at a loss of 20% trough the drive train the output should be something like 500 / 550 at the crank.

On cars like these the blower is more of a eye catch factor than a true power adder I guess...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Cooter

While the roots style blowers have massive appeal, they are only around 50% efficient at making power.
how do we know that that Swede didn't set it up to just be more show than go?
From the looks of that build, I'd say the latter is the case.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Possibly.  Still not a number to turn your nose up at.  I realize everyone and their neighbors dog has a badass 500 cubic inch stroker these days putting 800 or 900 horse to the pavement but compared to a stock 440 that isn't such a bad number.  What would a stock one have at the tire, 250, 275 horse?

polywideblock

lets not forget the massive torque that blown motors make    :scratchchin:   seat of the pants     ;D

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

phantom

This is the spec-list from 2009: 400 Wedge (B), bored and stroked to 501 cui, Edelbrock aluminum heads, Competition Cams hydraulic cam, Dyers 8-71 blower, two Holley 750cfm carbs, MSD ingition...

Makes 693hp and 987Nm :)

Cooter

Besides, really? What good is all that RWHP if your runnin rubber band tires? Ain't like your gonna stick it.
nothin but a show queen.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

phantom

Quote from: Cooter on December 08, 2014, 12:59:29 PM
Besides, really? What good is all that RWHP if your runnin rubber band tires? Ain't like your gonna stick it.
nothin but a show queen.

That's what its built for also. And he has nailed it. Every carshow he enters, he gets a prize, even 5 years after he finished it. Also been at SEMA. 

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: phantom on December 08, 2014, 12:20:53 PM
This is the spec-list from 2009: 400 Wedge (B), bored and stroked to 501 cui, Edelbrock aluminum heads, Competition Cams hydraulic cam, Dyers 8-71 blower, two Holley 750cfm carbs, MSD ingition...

Makes 693hp and 987Nm :)

YOU sure that's not a, 'quote build' and actual number produced?  LIke I said I know Johan put it on a actual dyno to wheels and he got 450hp to the wheels not a quote build.  He was happy he said he didn't care......he even changed out the muffler setup so it didn't sound like a mopar engine in it and got a lot of flack for it he tried to silence it more since it was so loud, but he loves it he saids. 

Not dissing the build at all I respect someone more that takes criticism and ignores it on their build than try to please others because some clown hates their build.

bill440rt

I'd like to know what the rad support upper tie bar is made from on that car. That looks pretty cool.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

fy469rtse

Bill , i think I've seen some close up photo's of that , its like a billit machined plug to fit inside upper channel
neat look

bill440rt

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 09, 2014, 12:44:52 AM
Bill , i think I've seen some close up photo's of that , its like a billit machined plug to fit inside upper channel
neat look

That is a neat looking item.  :yesnod:

Personally I could do without the big giant blower, but I sure like the rest of the car.  :drool5:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Toni

I Think this is same car which i saw last summer in power big meet at västerås

ACUDANUT

Awesome car, BUT I too hate the tires and the saggy rear end.

1974dodgecharger

Cant fit a spare back there what happens if u get a flat?

Just kiddin.......