News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Parts washers

Started by Ghoste, December 04, 2014, 01:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Kunkel

Both times it was Berryman Chem-Dip...it took a long time, rotted out where the bottom is seamed to the bucket.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

v21hemicharger

I just bought 5 gal of napa solvent Wednesday.  $103.  I'd go 20 gallon.  You could buy a nice pressure washer for what it would cost for enough solvent to fill a 40 gallon tank.

John_Kunkel

Paint thinner (mineral spirits) is the same as solvent, $16/gallon at Home Depot...cheaper in bulk.

Dmichels

Low odor mineral spirits works great. I "donate" my old fluid to work and let Safety Clean deal with it.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

69wannabe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 13, 2014, 02:18:40 PM
Both times it was Berryman Chem-Dip...it took a long time, rotted out where the bottom is seamed to the bucket.

I also have a bucket of this chem-dip. The metal bucket rotted so I was able to save some of it and put it in a plastic 5 gal bucket. I bought a couple of gallons of the chem dip in the gallon size from o'reillys since I lost a little bit of the cleaner swapping from one bucket to the other. It has been in the plastic bucket for a couple of years and it is still holding up so maybe that will hold up awhile. I don't think the newer cleaner is as good as what used to come in those bucket's. The gallon size containers have a little plastic bucket in the and it used to be metal. The bucket is what I use for de-greasing engine part's and carb rebuild's but I could use a parts washer too. The part's washer would be good to rinse off the remaining carb cleaner off the part's after I take them out of the bucket. Been shopping around myself for a 20 gal that would be good for limited home use. Tractor supply has them also and I was very close to buying one last month but I got sidetracked and never made the purchase...

John_Kunkel

Using a solvent parts washer to clean off Chem-Dip residue will quickly pollute the solvent so you'd be better off to use a small solvent washer like the Harbor Freight offering or clean off the Chem-Dip with water..that's what I do.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-2-half-gallon-parts-washer-96952.html

69wannabe

Good Point, wasn't really thinking I guess!!! Not a strong point for me sometimes, lol.....

Brock Lee

We have a Safety Kleen 250. Bought it at an auction for $150. It was barely used. Stuff like that I prefer to wait and grab them at auctions. When you buy higher end stuff like that, they are made to be serviced, so even if you get it home and find a problem, you can fix it and still be into it cheap.