News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new here and 68 charger quetion

Started by thereverend, December 02, 2014, 01:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thereverend

I've been a lurker forever and just bought a 68 charger this last weekend.

couple of interesting things I am wondering.   When searching of the title of the car I found that the dash tag number was different that that of the stamps on the trunk rail and fender tags.   The guy happened to have another 68 charger in the heap, so we looked at that...the same thing.  IS this common to have different numbers on the 68s?   I originally thought that the car has a different dash put it in during a repair or something.

How common is this?

What is the correct vin?  dash or trunk rail/fender/other?

Can someone post a pic of the number they have on the A pillar...location wise?  I tweeted Mark Worman from Graveyard cars and he said that is the the one.  Anyone have a pic?

2011 ram
'68 charger

www.firstlutheranmch.com

lukedukem

the VIN and VON are different numbers. the VON will be on the body and fender tag and the VIN sill be on the dash. to match the two you need the build sheet
read this thread it has some info on the two numbers
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,114792.0.html

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Dans 68

Welcome to the site. Yes, '68 Chargers are a bit different as far as the stampings/vins. The dash tag number will match partially the engine and transmission stampings, if they were stamped at all (another '68 oddity). The fender tag number will match the body stampings at the radiator support and driver side truck lip. The only way to tie the two different numbers together is via a build sheet. Look up threads on this site for more information. From '69 on the vin matches the fender tag matches the body stampings. Another reason the '68's are so unique. ;) 

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

grdprx

Welcome to the site!   :cheers:   Got the best year Charger there!  What are your plans for it?

lukedukem

Quote from: grdprx on December 02, 2014, 02:02:52 PM
Welcome to the site!   :cheers:   Got the best year Charger there!  What are your plans for it?

i bet he does some suspension upgrades :smilielol:

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

moparnation74

Ghoste

VegasCharger

Welcome to the site :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Best model year of choice :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

thereverend

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I'll be sorting out the suspension first thing!

So...just to clarify..the correct VIN is that on the dash...which would also match the engine and the transmission.

The numbers on the trunk lip and fender tags match each other but in order to link them all, you'd have to have the build sheet.

Am I on the right path there?

The plan for the car is to be a father/son  project for me and my little boys.  It is going to end up black.  I want it to be something I can drive often and turn alot of heads!

thanks for the help!
2011 ram
'68 charger

www.firstlutheranmch.com

thereverend

also, what about on the A pillar?   I sent a tweet to Mark Worman on Graveyard Cars and he said that the VIN was also there.   So would that match the dash tag then?   Anyone have any pics of the VIN location?  thx again!
2011 ram
'68 charger

www.firstlutheranmch.com

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: thereverend on December 03, 2014, 12:48:45 PM
also, what about on the A pillar?   I sent a tweet to Mark Worman on Graveyard Cars and he said that the VIN was also there.   So would that match the dash tag then?   Anyone have any pics of the VIN location?  thx again!

There isnt a number on the a piller in 68
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dans 68

Quote from: thereverend on December 03, 2014, 12:48:45 PM
also, what about on the A pillar?   I sent a tweet to Mark Worman on Graveyard Cars and he said that the VIN was also there.   So would that match the dash tag then?   Anyone have any pics of the VIN location?  thx again!

Maybe Mr. Worman thought you meant next to the A-pillar, on top of the dash, drivers side low by the windshield.  ;)  That would be the vin. It is held in place by two special rivets and would normally never come off the car.

Quote from: thereverend on December 03, 2014, 12:36:57 PM
...So...just to clarify..the correct VIN is that on the dash...which would also match the engine and the transmission....

Yes - it would partially match the engine and transmission IF they were stamped.

...Am I on the right path here?

You are doing fine.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

ACUDANUT

Mark Worm-man, aka Buzzard beak obviously does not know 68's.  Great find, Where is the front end ?

myk

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I'll be sorting out the suspension first thing!

So...just to clarify..the correct VIN is that on the dash...which would also match the engine and the transmission.

The numbers on the trunk lip and fender tags match each other but in order to link them all, you'd have to have the build sheet.

Am I on the right path there?

The plan for the car is to be a father/son  project for me and my little boys.  It is going to end up black.  I want it to be something I can drive often and turn alot of heads!

thanks for the help!

You'll be driving a 2nd gen Charger; you'll turn heads no matter what...

bill440rt

Welcome to DC.com!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

You've come to the right place. Looks like you have a nice project there, even better you get to enjoy it with your boys!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

best-laid-plans

Welcome from a newbie also. I've only been on here for about a week and I can alreadly tell that this is the place to be for 1966-74 Dodge Chargers. Especially 68-70. I'm still looking so you're way ahead of me. Good luck with your father-son project.

Doug

thereverend

@ACUDANUT  the front end is all there but the grille  :'(   fenders are in AWESOME shape.  I've got the headlight brackets and the flipdown grille parts...just missing the center grille section and the surround. 
2011 ram
'68 charger

www.firstlutheranmch.com