News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are these wheels worth anything?

Started by Dino, November 28, 2014, 02:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I took them off the car last year and they're just sitting here.

I forget what the numbers on them are, I think they're early 70's wheels.  All need to be cleaned up and painted to look good again, all trim rings have small dings in them.  The tires are old Firestones 215/70r14.  I drove on these without issues but they should be replaced just because of their age.  Still they hold air and the car ran fine with them.  So before I throw them on CL, is there any value in these at all?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mogre

I got $200.00 for my old 14" wheels and tires in the local buy and sell.

bakerhillpins

IIRC, that's the 69 version of the road wheel. Might be wort it to someone trying to keep it factory looking? Haven't got a clue as to value. Hit up ebay's completed auctions and see if you can get an idea of range?  :shruggy:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bill440rt

When the Magnum wheels were introduced in '69 wearing trim rings, they became known as "road wheels".
To someone doing a "numbers" restoration, they very well may be worth something. Especially if they are '69 - '71 dated 14"x5.5 wheels, even more so if they are a date matched set in good condition.

I went on an exhaustive 3-year search hunting down road wheels, but I was looking for a very specific set. I looked at any sets I could, whether at swap meets, Craigslist, eBay, online sources, etc etc. I found wheel sets ranging from $50 - $500+, it all depended on condition & what the seller was asking for them.
The later 14"x6 wheels do not command the prices 14"x5.5 wheels do IMHO. Of course, repros will not have the correct part #'s or dates stamped on them either.
In short, I guess your answer is they very well may be worth something, depending on the buyer.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

fy469rtse

Of course everything is worth something Dino
I have a 70 haven't got that far to know what part numbers should be ,
But looking for a set over here to take apart and put re rolled wider rims on using just the re chromed centres , 8's &10's
Going to go for the black powdered coated look
So yes valuable to right person

Dino

Thanks for the comments guys.   :cheers:

Bill if you remember, I sent you the date codes once.  They are not a matched set, not all 4 anyway,but  I have to go look at the numbers again as I no longer have the paper with the numbers.  They are definitely not 69-71 but later.

I'll get the numbers tomorrow and post back.  I could use anything they bring but want to make sure I don't end up in the delusional seller thread.  :lol:

bill440rt

Yep, I absolutely remember you sending me the numbers, but for the life of me I can't remember what they were either.  :lol:
There might be a part number stamped by the valve stem (could decipher the year that way), the size would be stamped on the hoop that gets covered by the tire unfortunately.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: bill440rt on November 28, 2014, 03:52:19 PM
When the Magnum wheels were introduced in '69 wearing trim rings, they became known as "road wheels".
To someone doing a "numbers" restoration, they very well may be worth something. Especially if they are '69 - '71 dated 14"x5.5 wheels, even more so if they are a date matched set in good condition.

I went on an exhaustive 3-year search hunting down road wheels, but I was looking for a very specific set. I looked at any sets I could, whether at swap meets, Craigslist, eBay, online sources, etc etc. I found wheel sets ranging from $50 - $500+, it all depended on condition & what the seller was asking for them.
The later 14"x6 wheels do not command the prices 14"x5.5 wheels do IMHO. Of course, repros will not have the correct part #'s or dates stamped on them either.
In short, I guess your answer is they very well may be worth something, depending on the buyer.  :2thumbs:

Do they even have repo Road Wheels ? I haven't seen them ?

69 OUR/TEA

I'd be interested in a nice set of 5.5 correct 69 wheels ,don't care about correct  number.

bill440rt

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on November 28, 2014, 07:11:18 PM

Do they even have repo Road Wheels ? I haven't seen them ?

Quite possibly the chrome hoops are getting scuffed & painted black. The glaring difference is that the spokes are bright chrome on the repros, whereas the originals were just a flash chrome, not a polished finish.

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on November 28, 2014, 07:12:45 PM
I'd be interested in a nice set of 5.5 correct 69 wheels ,don't care about correct  number.

I have a real nice pair of them, they are dated Dec. '69.  :scratchchin:

Dino

Alright, got the numbers and looked them up.  Can someone confirm I got this right?  According to the numbers one of them is a 14x6, the rest are 5.5.

I have two with number 2944474 which would seem to be 14x5.5 for '70 & '71 B and E bodies, one with number 3580059 for '72 & '73 E bodies , and one 3699331 for a '76 F body.  This one is supposedly 14x6.

They each carry Firestone FR480 tires, 215/70R14. 

bill440rt

Hey Dino,
I found this info over on Moparts as well. Hope this can help you.

Part #2944162 - 1969 B-Body cars - 14 x 5.5" size.
Part #2944474 - 1970 and 1971 B and E-Body cars - 14 x 5.5" size.
Part #3461359 - 1971 B-Body cars - 14 x 6.0" size
Part #3580059 - 1972 and 1973 E-Body cars - 14 x 5.5" size
Part #3580065 - 1972, 1973, 1974 B and E-Body cars - 14 x 6" size.

Also found this:
wheel 14x6.0" - #3580 065 for b-bodies & f-bodies (early)
wheel 14x6.0" - #3699 331 for f-bodies (late)

Not sure how desirable the '72-up wheels would be. I would think the '70/'71 wheels would be more in demand to the right person.
Check the backsides of the wheels on the outer edge. Kind of the lip where the wheel weight would sit. Date codes will be found there. Also in that area would be a little "M" with a number next to and below it. The number below would signify the year, and the other numbers are the month/day.  :2thumbs:
You have those?  :popcrn:

Dino

Thanks Bill   :cheers:

I cannot find the dates on the early wheels, only on the later.  It doesn't look like they have been covered up by paint but it is possible.  The trim rings have damaged the paint so maybe they are hidden but honestly it seems they are simply not there.  I'll give them a cleaning tomorrow and see if I can find them.   :yesnod:

I do hope someone can use all of them because I'd like to get them off my patio.

bill440rt

Sorry, Dino. Gotta correct my previous post. I was thinking rallye wheels.  :brickwall:
Check the backsides of the wheels on the outer edge. Kind of the lip where the wheel weight would sit. Date codes will be found there.  :cheers:

Dino

Quote from: bill440rt on November 29, 2014, 03:34:27 PM
Sorry, Dino. Gotta correct my previous post. I was thinking rallye wheels.  :brickwall:
Check the backsides of the wheels on the outer edge. Kind of the lip where the wheel weight would sit. Date codes will be found there.  :cheers:

Ahh didn't check there.  Definitely need to clean them up first to see anything on that side.   :icon_smile_big:

Will post back with the findings tomorrow.

71 SE3834V

Tires are old 'eh?
I'm kinda looking for some wider than my 205/75r/14's. I gotta let the pocket book catch up before I can think about new ones after the engine rebuild.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Dino

On the 2944474 set the numbers are M4   7   15

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on November 29, 2014, 10:39:26 PM
Tires are old 'eh?
I'm kinda looking for some wider than my 205/75r/14's. I gotta let the pocket book catch up before I can think about new ones after the engine rebuild.

Old but I honestly think they're fine.  They're not ancient by any means and I put around 5000 miles on them without issues.  Are you interested in just the tires or the whole setup?

bill440rt

sdweatherman

Too bad I don't live a little closer - I could use the pair of 1970 wheels for my early 71 Plymouth sunroof car! Shipping on wheels with tires can't be cheap. Good luck with the sale. Scott.
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

Dino

I doubt the tires would be worth the extra shipping cost, but the rims alone would cost a pretty penny to ship I'm sure.  These wheels need to be redone as well, they're nice and straight but they need to be stripped and repainted.  I looked over the trim rings again and they're pretty good but all have a few dings.  If I had the time I'd take them out, but it's a very time consuming process to do right and I don't have all the equipment I need to do so either. 

71 SE3834V

Quote from: Dino on November 30, 2014, 03:23:27 PM
Old but I honestly think they're fine.  They're not ancient by any means and I put around 5000 miles on them without issues.  Are you interested in just the tires or the whole setup?

As much as I like the magnums I think I'd like to stick with the rallye's that my car is supposed to have (though the one's on it aren't the originals as the originals need to be redone themselves).
If you were to get a buyer for the rims let me know what you want for the tires.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Dino

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on December 02, 2014, 10:37:02 PM
Quote from: Dino on November 30, 2014, 03:23:27 PM

As much as I like the magnums I think I'd like to stick with the rallye's that my car is supposed to have (though the one's on it aren't the originals as the originals need to be redone themselves).
If you were to get a buyer for the rims let me know what you want for the tires.

Unless someone really really wants the tires with the rims, the tires are yours.  I don't want anything for those.  I'm throwing the rims on CL tomorrow, I need to try and get something for them but if they don't sell they're yours if you want them.

71 SE3834V

Well don't sell 'em too cheap! I'd give you at least what it would cost to remove the tires from the rims. Heck I guess I should ask what you want for the whole set up? Maybe sometime down the road it might be nice to switch up the look once in a while. You never know, I might chase the gremlins outta this car next spring and actually have some time for new projects. Ya right.  :rotz:
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V