News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trying to help a mopar friend

Started by nvrbdn, November 25, 2014, 07:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

:drool5:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

we would never be this far without great friends and kind people. thanks to everyone :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

any body got a donor radiator out there? the radiator I have may be too small. It is a dual core 18" wide and 20" tall. the radiator in the car is 18" wide and 24" tall. the top inlet is in the center on the one in the car with the lower to the drivers side, where the one I have has top to the drivers side and the bottom to the pass side.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Thursday morning. I'm on a day off since my work cut us back to 32 hours.  I like the 3 day weekend every week though. Thursday, Friday, Saturday off.  :yesnod: so the sun is rising over the tree tops, and I'm getting ready to head out to the garage to see what I want to take with me to the school to start working on the car. Steve said he would be there also. hopefully we can get the wiring all tucked away, and the floor buttoned down. then attack the poppers (which the kids had everything done on them except the latches installed. then brake and gas pedals. We will see how that goes. Hopefully by tonight we will have some good updates. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

things didn't move along as wanted. it turns out that the class was taking a field trip today to check out Ranken technical college. so I checked out a few things on the car. first I was running the wiring for the alternator. for a 69 charger 318 it should have a batt wire and a field wire. field wire goes to the regulator. other side of regulator heads to horn relay and resistor..........and so on. well this alternator has 2 fields and a battery post. the field was wired to the regulator then the other side of the regulator heads to a split. one going to the fire wall which should be heading to the ignition switch, and the other goes back to the other field side of the alternator. the guy that was there ( eric hills brother another teacher) said just get a GM single wire alt. and get rid of the problem. he said he will bring a paper in showing what wires to cut and tape off. I just hate that NAPA just donated a new alternator. the one with 2 fields. ok, so move on to the next task. well the kid cleaning up the wiring is doing a great job, and has been focused on the wiring for a while now so I didn't want to mess with anything that he already knows everything about. so don't touch the wiring. Then it turns out that the 37 didn't have brake lights. so they ordered a pressure switch that goes on the master cylinder that will operate the brake lights. and the part did show up today while I was there. NAPA will be getting a radiator, so waiting on that. the new latches will take cutting metal out for the poppers which we don't want to try to start right at the moment. which leaves us to the floor. I had 2 of the three pieces of the floor and started lining them up. found out what thread was used in the floor and headed off to the hardware store for some bolts nuts and washers. picked the short bolts and went back to bolt down the floor. also called steve to tell him we wouldn't be able to do all we wanted so no need to run down there. played with the floor for a while and go some work done, but needed a few bolts a little longer, so had to quit. by then it was 10;30 and can't work past noon. so I gave up and drove home. yep I lost an hour I could have worked on the car. so I cant figure out a gas pedal bracket until I get the floor in. may try to finish the floor in the morning.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

found this wiring diagram which shows that the other field post is supposed to go to ground. that may just fix the charging problem.

now another problem, whenever I want to type the word "charge" I always add an r on the end, then have to go back and remove it. :rofl:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

well, the latest update is more of a set back. the end of the school year is near and the car has a bit to do yet. we figured that we would do the poppers and windows completed at a later date and get the car to a few shows first. but the problem is the radiator. no one has one and to get one rebuilt will take quite a while. so we are searching for one that will fit the spot. we are talking about just getting the car as it sits and finishing it in steve's garage. the front is all off right now to get the radiator out. no sense to put it back together if we would just have to take it all back apart. the car is a running driving car and that is awesome. now its time to get the car back and see what we can do to get a radiator in the car, plus some interior. then we can take it to a show or cruise. keep you posted as we get the car back.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

ok, lets update what is going on. I went to the Granite City high school car show and had a great time. lots of nice cars there, and the auto class was there. I chatted with a few of the boys quite a bit at the show. they really wished they had time to do more, but we are out of time. I told them that they did great. if it wasn't for them, the car would be a long way from where it is. Allen is checking a radiator that he has that we think may work. if that goes well they will put the front end back together. the brake light switch was installed and wired to the back. we will have a few things to do, but the car will definitely be at some shows this summer. its almost time to figure out the interior also.
   on a side note, my charger bit the dust and will miss "Kreepshow" Saturday. on the way home from Granite (in the pouring down rain) I hit the freeway and cruised. well as I drove through Bethalto on the way home I started hearing a front end noise. actually thought I was getting a flat. well I pulled into a car wash (since it was still pouring rain) and couldn't see a problem. So I finished the drive home. (about 10 minutes). put the car on the lift and checked the bottom out. nothing too much to see here, so I looked at the wheel. there was a missing stud. pulled the wheel off and found a minorly loose bearing. I know, how the heck? then... yep, the lower ball joint was loose. since nothing in there is new, I decided to change it all.(had the parts already, but was waiting till a better time to shut the car down) well, when I pulled the upper control arms off and tried to press the ball joint out it came apart big time. sleeve frozen in the upper control arm. told the wife of my problem and she insisted I get on the comp and buy new upper control arms. (dang the luck) so now I am waiting for the parts to arrive. so the charger is down. no Kreepshow. oh well, back to steve's story. let you know when we pick up the car at the school and get it finished so it can hit a show.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

new update. I went to the school today to meet allen and pick up the car. but it wasn't really ready.( wheels off, front end off and apart, etc...) and eric was offering to keep the car at the school and complete it when they start back up in august. allen came through with a radiator that will work. we measured it today. that's a positive. so where we are is, I will be talking with steve to see how he wants to go from here. I know he is really missing his car, but the kids are really enjoying working on it. then also we were hopeful to take it to a show this summer. it was good to get into the school and see the car again. good to chat with allen also.

so we will be finding out what is next. dave has offered any help he can give, so we will see. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

well, after we visited Hot Rod Power Tour at Gateway, Steve has the bug bad. So we are going to try to get the car back and play with it a little bit so we can take it to a show or two. I need to set it up with Allen to see when he is available.  her are a couple shots from power tour checking out a hot rod.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

ok, here is the update. I know its been going slow. after we went to Power Tour Steve was excited about getting the car going. but with vacations getting in the way, (ok, yea, I had to go to Destin Fla. for a week) and then Allen was out of town, and ....etc....  just been a super busy summer so far. so Steve gave me a call and said that he decided to leave the car at the high school so they can continue to do what they started. so for now, that is what we are planning to do. we would like to maybe get by the school some time to do some measuring. so we are still excited about everything, and still focused on the end result. we may also be looking into hand control accelerator and brakes possibilities.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

I know I haven't posted in a while. Did talk with steve. we are trying to get together to go for dinner. I was one of those people that went to Kentucky to check out the worlds largest yard sale. it was wild. spent 5 days there and didn't get anything done here. school is starting back up, so the car should be getting back on track. Iv'e been so busy, and I know Allen has been busy. we haven't even been able to work on Allens center console, or get him the transmission. David and I chatted and tried to make a rendezvous at a car show, but that didn't work either. I know when this started that we had big dreams of things happening fast, but reality set in and slowed the progress. hopefully we will be able to get in and meet with Allen and Mr. Hill after the whole "getting started with the new year" smooth's out, then see where we are going next. There has been a lot of great progress, and the hopes are for more of the same. Steve is just such a devoted car guy, that I know he is getting excited about the car being driveable. until the next post. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

talked to Steve today. Mr. Hill says he plans to get the car to be a driver, them get to welding and check on the possible door poppers. we will be meeting at 3;00 tomorrow to measure for the radiator. as soon as he has the new radiator, he feels he will be on his way. so things are moving again. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

we met with Mr. Hill today and Steve got his measurements. We are on the search for a new radiator. size will be 18" wide and 25"-27" tall. Lower hose dumps on the drivers side, and upper hose can be anywhere, but center would be great. I'm sure Steve is already searching as I talk. ha ha we also looked at the mounting of the gas pedal, and the floor. Plus examined what was with the wiring, and what we will need to do.  so its back on.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

ok guys, we got the radiator in the grill at steves, and he delivered it to the school. I went to the school today to check on building the bracket for the gas pedal. The class was heading out on another field trip. to the NHRA drags at Gateway. wow, My school never took field trips like that. And Mr. Hill told me that Tony Schumacher had his car at the school on Thursday and visited with the students. So anyway, I got the bracket in to mount the gas pedal. Didn't have the right size bolts with me to mount the pedal to the bracket, but at least it is done to that point. Then a tour of Who knows who all these people were there, so I scooted out of the area. Anyway, they are doing awesome getting the car back together. enjoy the pics.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

the last pic is of the bracket to mount the gas pedal to.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

They said they couldn't find the mounting piece that holds the bottom of the grill in. Now I don't know much about these cars, so not sure what it looks like, but will check with Steve later. Unfortunately he had a doctors appointment, and couldn't be with me today.  It is so close to coming home so we can do the interior. We are both very excited. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nvrbdn

Thanks Stu. Its been fun watching this car come to life. We are getting close.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Went by the school and got to meet with Allen. I was really glad to get to talk to him today since we were not able to do our get together at car shows this summer. Allen is doing great. So as we were chatting about Steve's car, and other fun topics, Eric Hill strolled into the class room. I chatted with him for a couple seconds, and he said lets go to the shop and see what we were talking about. The car is back on the lift with the wheels off. He said he didn't trust the brakes, because when he fires up the engine and pushes the brake pedal the rear tire still spins. We are definitely getting fluid to all the wheels. I am assuming that maybe the wheel cylinder is not performing properly on the rear axle. It does have disc brakes up front due to the mustang front swap. but when I tried to turn the front rotors with the brakes off, they wouldn't turn. he did say he was messing with the proportioning valve. So we do need to get these brakes figured out. He was thinking that the power booster wasn't working. It is about the smallest booster I have ever seen. I took the number off the master cylinder and was told it was for a corvette from late 70's to early 80's. so we need to find out if this is correct, find out if the booster is working, find out if the rear wheel cylinders are working, get the proportioning valve adjusted. But............... when he hopped into the car and fired up the motor,........wow.....she sounded awesome. put it into gear and everything was working. (except the brakes)  ha ha. I said, well, it has front disc, as long as they work we are still good.  but I know,   we gotta make it right.  and we will. we are so close. there are no leaks. radiator working great. Allen Eric and I all think we may have Steve at a late car show this year. we wont have the interior done yet, but we will have the car there. Cross your fingers folks, we are so close now.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

ok guys, I was back at the school today after work to check on these brakes. Steve met me there and we talked a bit with Eric Hill, then got to work. I checked the vacuum on the booster and we were good. We knew we had fluid to all the wheels. So without the engine running we pushed the pedal while I checked each wheel. all turned and stopped as they should, except for the drivers side rear. I took the drum off, and as I pushed the pedal, nothing. So I took the brakes apart and tried to move the cylinder pistons. Nothing. So the next step was to drive the pistons with a socket. they finally moved. Slid them out and cleaned the pistons and honed out the cylinder, and presto. we have brakes all the way around. Fired up the engine and put it into gear, hit the brakes, and it stopped the drums from turning. we all were smiling by the time that was over. Eric and the kids were able to get turn signal lights working. Steve got to hear the car running. What a great day it was. here are a couple pics. They aren't very good since they are off my phone. The one is of the gauges Steve picked up for the car and hadn't seen them in yet.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

and I almost forgot, Eric said that the seats didn't have brackets for them, so he wasn't sure how to mount them. Then he says that they have an xterra that they are disassembling that have the seat tracks and all. He then said if steve wants them he will install them in the car. we looked at them, and they look pretty nice. so we jumped at the offer. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tsmithae

Steve is seriously lucky to have a friend like you!  We need more people like you in the world.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

nvrbdn

Thank you for the kind words. I feel that there are a lot of great guys here that would all do the same, just don't have the situation in front of them.

He put so much love and time into this dream car. Then he got to where he couldn't finish it. I want to see his dream completed.

My next attempt will be for 2 things. We will need to attack the interior over the winter, then I want to see if I can get a local painter to shoot the car. I will be stopping at the local maaco dealer to see if there is any wiggle room for a paint job. It is a decent 20 footer, but it has the spot on the nose to fix where they took out a dent, and a couple other spots. So to find someone to make us a deal would be nice.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House