News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 1/4 rearend in a 69 small block Charger

Started by keith88, November 20, 2014, 11:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

I have a 8 1/4 rear in my 69 Charger yet the service manual for it shows no such rear listed for the car did they come stock that way or do you think it was added at a later time? also if any one has any info or links on any specs on it ,it would be much appreciated. :2thumbs:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

hatersaurusrex

Don't think so - pretty sure even the /6 cars came with an 8.75.

When I bought my '68 someone had slid an 8.25 under it.  It had been used for racing so I'm assuming the PO had a nicely built the 8.75 and didn't want it going with the car.   Should have looked more closely when I bought the car  :)

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Drache

Started in '69 they were added to the Small block Chargers. I think it was a mid year deal. The reason it's not showing in the manual was because they were printed before the 8-1/4 was introduced.

There are a couple members here with numbers matching and surviving '69 Chargers that have the 8-1/4

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Dino

Does it show this on the fender tag?  My car was a June or July build with 318/904 but had big block goodies by the time I found it so i'm not sure what axle it originally had.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69CoronetRT

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

keith88

Quote from: Dino on November 20, 2014, 01:20:00 PM
Does it show this on the fender tag?  My car was a June or July build with 318/904 but had big block goodies by the time I found it so i'm not sure what axle it originally had.
My car did not have the fender tag by the time i got it, sure wish it had would tell me so much!
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Kern Dog

My 70 had a 2.71 gear 8 1/4" axle originally. My car was built as a "500" model with a 318.

keith88

OK looks like it probably came on the car, anyone have a specs on it i cant find any online and it not listed in the service Manual. Like a oil capacity maybe gear ratio available.  :scratchchin:

Drache

Quote from: keith88 on November 20, 2014, 06:03:58 PM
OK looks like it probably came on the car, anyone have a specs on it i cant find any online and it not listed in the service Manual. Like a oil capacity maybe gear ratio available.  :scratchchin:

I remember reading something about them coming with a 2.71
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Alaskan_TA

The page above is from a 32 page TSB. You can read the whole thing page by page at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/1969-Dodge-TSB-Index.shtml

It is TSB No. D69-3-1 in the menu.

fy469rtse

Dino
thankfully previous owner did you a favour and blew that up , replacing it with a much stronger unit  :2thumbs:

Dino

Quote from: fy469rtse on November 20, 2014, 06:59:06 PM
Dino
thankfully previous owner did you a favour and blew that up , replacing it with a much stronger unit  :2thumbs:

Yep that was a bonus!  I was looking for a small block car with absolutely no pedgree so I could feel good giving it my personal touches, and I found just that but the 318 was gone and everything was replaced with the good bits from a 71 squad car.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

It's almost surely the factory setup for that car.  They started using the 8.25 rear on the smallblocks in 1969.  And it's not like the earlier 318/auto cars have a habit of blowing up their original 8.75 rears.

keith88

Thanks Drache that gives me more info than i had, wounder how many chargers ended up with these and when did they start? ( early or late year)

Drache

Quote from: keith88 on November 21, 2014, 01:56:28 PM
Thanks Drache that gives me more info than i had, wounder how many chargers ended up with these and when did they start? ( early or late year)

I believe it was mid to late year as you can still find many '69 Chargers with a 318 and a factory 8-3/4 rear, more than the 8-1/4. I think that's what created the confusion and misunderstanding that the 8-1/4 isn't stock to a '69 Charger.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Argos_Chargers

I blew out 2 8.25's in my '70 before I upgraded to an 8.75 and a 727.  The original owner was a family man which was just what the 318, 904, 8.25 set up was made for.  Less weight, better fuel economy and something that a "normal" driver would never have any trouble with.
MoPar -- The only way to fly!

keith88

Quote from: Argos_Chargers on November 21, 2014, 10:05:27 PM
I blew out 2 8.25's in my '70 before I upgraded to an 8.75 and a 727.  The original owner was a family man which was just what the 318, 904, 8.25 set up was made for.  Less weight, better fuel economy and something that a "normal" driver would never have any trouble with.
When you blew them up did it have the 318 and what were you doing at the time, was it being beat on or was it normal driving.

500Jon

OMG an 8.25 in a 69 Charger, is that possible???
And what crazy person ordered a 69 Charger with a SIXPOT too!
There's going cheap and there's LUNACY!!!
Quick get it outta there and delete thread before any one finds out LOL> :smilielol:

Only pulling ya leg fella.
If it goes along the road then HATS-OFF to ya!!! :2thumbs:
5J

ps got a couple of 69 Charger 8.75's here if you wanna stump up for shipping LoL!
pps what's a NORMAL Charger driver look like??? :D
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Argos_Chargers

I was 21.  Normal driving was beating on it!  I'm still running the original 318 block (on its 2nd rebuild at 321,000 miles).

The first week I had it I was still running the high profile tires on the steel wheels and had it up to 115 in traffic on the freeway.  I don't think that car had ever been over 80 before that. 

I was a pretty big shock to it's system. 

we both survived my 20's (and 30's).  Things are usually a bit more mellow now.
MoPar -- The only way to fly!

keith88

Uh yes been there to, had my 70 at that time myself,but it had a 383 with an 8 3/4 but still I broke it. Now I'm 50 with a 69 and not as hard on my cars but i will have to keep that in mind that its not the top of the line equipment in this base model. Thanks for the info. :cheers: