News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with a eng

Started by billssuperbird, November 18, 2014, 01:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billssuperbird

Is this nos short block  any good. Part number 511   Block date 5/17/78  stamp on block 4006630-440-3 and its bin Storage for 35 years

fy469rtse

Don't know why no one has replied ,
New block standard bore, the only thing I would do first is to sonic test the wall thickness to bores ,
Late blocks have a repretation to be thin wall,
Standard bore ? Shouldn't be a worry

billssuperbird

500Jon

Hi Bill,

Check out '440 Source' BLOCK page!!! :icon_smile_big:
Brandon says 'after repeated tests' the late blocks 'WERE NEVER' thinwall! :smilielol:
So any 440 block from 68 onwards is COOLIO! :2thumbs:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

fy469rtse

Iv'e always said ussumption is the mother of all $%#*up's ,
standard practice anyway on a bare block , checking is good piece of mind,
and i agree with 500jon, why would chrysler try to save a few bucks in casting costs by shaving thickness off walls , they would have to be more accurate in casting process, thus increasings costs in another way
yep rumor starter by some one who had issues with a late block that had missaligned casting issues , one out of aligned sand cast resulting thin wall bore and it grew from there

billssuperbird

If the price is wright I should get it.

500Jon

Core shift happens a lot!
My friend has a 291 hemi circa 1955.
It has the worst core-shift ever!!! :eek2:
Went and got another block LoL.
5J
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

BudW

I have a 1977 cast date NOS 440 short block, which I need to sell. 
(Note: It's not my intention to hijack this post – but trying to add to it). 

It came with two blue aluminum tags, and I think one of which has "511" on it (if I recall correctly).
It came coated in Cosmoline, has flat top (low compression) pistons, a cast crankshaft and camshaft bearings installed (no camshaft or chain).

The paint markings on it is something to see and might be valuable for someone doing a serious restoration (i.e.: inspection paint marks under the engine paint), maybe.

I'd rather have a stock bore engine than one bored to 0.030" (or 0.060") any day.   Also, if you wear it out, you can at least rebuild it. 
There is not much to rebuild on one that's bored out 0.055-0.060", already.

What would be a good selling (buying) price for a non-rusty NOS 440 Short block?

BudW