News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why does no one make a quality engine stand???!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Ghoste, November 15, 2014, 06:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

At least for a big block Chrysler?  Destroyed another crappy engine stand today designed for rice motors and smallblock Chevys.  I don't care what the rating says on the box, there are too many of these things now that are junk! :pullinghair:  :brickwall: :soapbox:

moparnation74

http://m.harborfreight.com/foldable-engine-stand-69522.html

I had my 440 on this stand and had no problems.  Prior to this stand.   I had the same problems you had with 3 other stands I had in the past.

Ghoste

Wow, thanks I was actually looking at that one on Jegs website for twice the money.

moparnation74

You will be happy with that one.  My friend has a complete hemi sitting on his and no issues. There is nothing more scarier than having your big block take a nose dive.  If you don't have a coupon I have some for 20% off if you need it.

Charger-Bodie

I have one like that too. My 440 six pack is on it now fully loaded and my all iron 472 hemi on it before. Very strong unit. I still have a 2x6 propped under the front pan though just to be extra safe.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

I have one like that as well, had my 440-6 for my '69 on it for quite a while. Didn't budge. 
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Ghoste on November 15, 2014, 06:27:23 PM
At least for a big block Chrysler?  Destroyed another crappy engine stand today designed for rice motors and smallblock Chevys.  I don't care what the rating says on the box, there are too many of these things now that are junk! :pullinghair:  :brickwall: :soapbox:
Glad you ask this, thanks.
Quote from: moparnation74 on November 15, 2014, 06:54:53 PM
http://m.harborfreight.com/foldable-engine-stand-69522.html

I had my 440 on this stand and had no problems.  Prior to this stand.   I had the same problems you had with 3 other stands I had in the past.
Thanks, this what I was looking for.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Roctania

I made my own using 4" thin wall tubing.
3-4" diameter rotation head with pinch clamp that will stop... or allow just the rotation you need.
Badass stands.
Made only three
they are mine for life.
They would be too expensive to make in the USA, even the steel would be $300 probably, with quality wheels.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Roctania on November 15, 2014, 10:11:14 PM
3-4" diameter rotation head with pinch clamp that will stop... or allow just the rotation you need.
Badass stands.
Made only three
they are mine for life.
They would be too expensive to make in the USA, even the steel would be $300 probably, with quality wheels.
Pictures?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

BSB67

What happened

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Roctania

Quote from: Mopar Nut on November 16, 2014, 01:24:39 AM
Badass stands.
Made only three
they are mine for life.
Pictures?

Buried in the garage
Busy
Stand by, will get a pic or two if possible. May take a long time.

firefighter3931

Either of these would do the job. I have both of them and they hold a fully assembled BB Chrysler engine no problem. There are stores in your area ; Windsor or London  ;)

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Repair-Equipment/1250-lb-Engine-Stand/4279964.p

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Repair-Equipment/2000-lb-Folding-Engine-Stand/4270198.p

I prefer the wide base stands....much more stable when moving around with a loaded engine.  :yesnod:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

71 SE3834V

Quote from: BSB67 on November 16, 2014, 08:05:45 AM
At least for a big block Chrysler?  Destroyed another crappy engine stand today designed for rice motors and smallblock Chevys.  I don't care what the rating says on the box, there are too many of these things now that are junk! :pullinghair:  :brickwall: :soapbox:

What happened

Yeah that and what one were you using Ghoste?

I had my 383 complete with exhaust manifolds, fuel & water pump as well as the alt. bracket and idler pulley on the Harbor Freight 1,000 lb. rated one with no issues. Although after the engine was back in the car I was pushing the stand to store it and looked down and the leg w/the front wheels on it was sliding out of the tube! The bolt had loosened up but that was my own fault. Keep those nuts & bolts tight!
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

john108

I didn't plan it very well.  I have the Harbor Freight Hoist and Engine stand.  I couldn't transfer the engine from the Hoist to the Engine stand because the angles on the legs interfered with each other and I couldn't get them close enough to transfer!!  Think about that.

HANDM

Quote from: john108 on November 17, 2014, 05:58:09 PM
I didn't plan it very well.  I have the Harbor Freight Hoist and Engine stand.  I couldn't transfer the engine from the Hoist to the Engine stand because the angles on the legs interfered with each other and I couldn't get them close enough to transfer!!  Think about that.

I've always removed the rotating assembly, bolt it to the block and then bring the stand up to the assembly, slide it home then let the hoist down......

If yer trying to transfer on the ground then that's your problem

War wagon

I have the 2000lb model that firefighter posted a link too from princess auto. Works great, used it a few times for 440's no issues...
The folding legs are a bonus when not in use

69rtse4spd

Build my own out of .250 wall 4x4  steel tubing, .500 or .625 inch face plate, .500 or .625 x 1.5 wide arms, welded to 3 or 3.5 inch solid head in a .500 inch thick walled x 6 or 8 inch leangth tube. Four legs & heavy as hell. 

Ghoste

I'll have to look up the brand.  The style is not exactly like the one pictured but very very close.  As I lowered the engine (and it wasn't dropped it was lowered carefully) the bar going to the front wheels just bent in that section right at the upright.  It was rated for 1000lbs but apparently a 440 without carb or accessories weighs more than that. ::)

moparnation74

I think a complete 440 minus the accessory components (carb, PS, alt, ect.). Weighs ~750lbs

Ghoste

I wold have guessed closer to 600 but either way, both numbers are still less than a 1000. ;)

moparnation74

Correct, I always wondered how they come up with these so called ratings.

Ghoste

Beats me.  Maybe 1000 Chinese lbs are only 500 American ones? :shruggy:

Bandit72

I have one like that yellow one, I've had 3 or 4 engines on it from a fully dressed 413 (it didn't like that) down to a 318. I did use a block under the front of the 413 and it was only on there long enough to get the other engine out of the truck that it was replacing. I wouldn't have dared to try to rotate it though. Currently it has a 440 long block on it that has been there for almost 2 years now. I did weld a piece of angle iron from the upright to the bar that runs forward and welded it solid anywhere that it previously bolted before it put the 440 on it, that way I'm not so scared to move it around or rotate it. Mine is also red, not yellow...maybe that makes all the difference?  :shruggy:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

firefighter3931

The 1250 lb model is on sale for $69.99  :2thumbs:

Go get it !  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

71 SE3834V

Quote from: Bandit72 on November 18, 2014, 10:15:58 AM
Mine is also red, not yellow...maybe that makes all the difference?  :shruggy:

Everyone knows red is stronger....or maybe it's faster.  :smilielol:
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Ghoste

The one that folded on me is red.  Is that at Princess Ron?

BSB67

Quote from: Ghoste on November 18, 2014, 08:46:06 AM
I'll have to look up the brand.  The style is not exactly like the one pictured but very very close.  As I lowered the engine (and it wasn't dropped it was lowered carefully) the bar going to the front wheels just bent in that section right at the upright.  It was rated for 1000lbs but apparently a 440 without carb or accessories weighs more than that. ::)

Glad you didn't drop it!!!

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

Yeah me too. ;)     I was expecting someone to ask if I lowered it too quickly.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on November 18, 2014, 07:17:28 PM
The one that folded on me is red.  Is that at Princess Ron?

Yes, the 1250lb model is at Princess Auto....AKA Harbor Freight "North"   :lol:

Ron

Ghoste

Ordered this one through Jegs.  It better hold up dammit.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Ghoste on November 23, 2014, 12:56:36 PM

That's a twin to the one I have my six pack gine on. And my all iron hemi before that.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on November 23, 2014, 12:56:36 PM

That'll work fine.....identical to the 2000lb model I have from Princess Auto.  :2thumbs:

Nice that it folds up for easy storage when not in use  :yesnod:

Ron

Dmichels

You will find it MUCH more stable then the light duty ones. I have one just like it except my legs do not fold. They are held in with a bolt. I used a light duty one once with a 440 scared the cr@p out of me bounced and swayed.  I still have it but only use it as a backup for 4 bangers. The big wide ones are much more stable held the 440 with ease you will be happy
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Roctania

Quote from: Mopar Nut on November 16, 2014, 01:24:39 AM
Badass stands.
Made only three
they are mine for life.
Pictures?

at long last

The beauty of the pinch clamp is that it is totally adjustable.  Grips the rotating part just right, and no weakening holes in the inside tube.  No gouging set screw.  

Chargerguy74

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 16, 2014, 08:30:32 PM
Either of these would do the job. I have both of them and they hold a fully assembled BB Chrysler engine no problem. There are stores in your area ; Windsor or London  ;)

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Repair-Equipment/1250-lb-Engine-Stand/4279964.p

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Repair-Equipment/2000-lb-Folding-Engine-Stand/4270198.p

I prefer the wide base stands....much more stable when moving around with a loaded engine.  :yesnod:

Ron

I have both of these as well. Great stands.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002