News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger, 6.4 hemi- what transmission do you guys recommend?

Started by Hudson Hornet !, November 15, 2014, 06:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson Hornet !

Okay, been a while since I have posted, but the charger is a fully welded shell and now I am looking into drivetrains. I got a great deal on a 6.4 hemi short block and I will be using that. Here is where I need some help. Many thanks to anyone who replies!

Will SRT manifolds fit the car? I saw a yellow challenger vert with them- I would use if they will fit the 68

What tranny would you guys run- car is originally a 4 speed but long gone. Auto or Stick- which one and why?

Carb or Fuel injected. Since this was a short block I have neither. Help!

Thanks again for any advice!
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

Ghoste

I'd go with a Tremec 6 speed.  Modern engine, then why not a modern trans?  And manual because its fun.

Mike DC

Auto or stick, carb or EFI . . . its like asking which political party or which religion is better.  It can spark a big debate but nobody will change anyone's mind by the end of it.  

There is plenty to discuss about the specifics though.

IIRC, the modern Hemis all have the same old LA smallblock V8 bolt pattern for the bellhousing.    

chargerperson

Quote from: Ghoste on November 15, 2014, 06:23:24 PM
I'd go with a Tremec 6 speed.  Modern engine, then why not a modern trans?  And manual because its fun.

Agree with the above.  I am having Tremec 6 speed installed in my car along with 6.4 hemi

Mike DC

The tremec 6 is fine if you don't mind cutting out the stock crossmember and the entire tunnel.  

That's a lot to swallow for a tranny swap after the whole modern engine went in without a scratch.  

polywideblock

833 until you can afford a passion 5 speed    :Twocents:   think the new hemi  already has small block bell housing bolt pattern  :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

chargerperson

Below is a link of the work required on the tunnel for a 67 Charger to install the Tremec 6 Speed.  Significant work for sure.  Not sure how 68 tunnel compares to 67.  

Sorry links don't hyperlink, you have to copay and past into a browser.  Restoration company's page doesn't easily allow movement of pictures.

http://www.premierrestony.com/#!untitled/zoom/c1mb7/image11sn

Picture of cross member

http://www.premierrestony.com/#!untitled/zoom/c1mb7/image11vp

Several pictures here if anyone is interested - select more at bottom for about 200 pictures.  Lots of sheet metal work but some more interesting stuff at the end
http://www.premierrestony.com/#!67-charger/c1mb7

kanadanmajava

How about the 5-speed manual boxes that came with newish Ram 1500 pickups with 3.9l and 4.7l engines? They look fairly compact so they might fit quite well inside the tunnel. I haven't heard any user experiences (as we don't have any of those here) so they might be totally crap too.

Edit: It seems that the 5-speed box (NV3500) does indeed fit in B-body tunnel without much modifications. Here's some info: http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?57014-NV3500-In-B-Body

Hudson Hornet !

Thanks for the links. Man that 67 was rough at first!

I would love a t56 but the amount of tunnel work for me is a turn off. Not that it can't be done but I don't know if I want to cut the car up that much- then the carpet won't fit right either.

chargerperson

Totally understand on avoiding the tunnel work.  I am having the car completely redone and existing carpet had to go anyway.  After driving my 2009 challenger 5.7 6 speed I had to have a 6 speed with 67 Charger when I put in the 6.4

RamZCharger

SRT manifolds will not fit, the TTI 6.4 headers fit very well, no dimples or modification necessary even if running AC.

I have a TKO 600 5-speed, had to modify the tunnel only where the shifter comes through the floor, a tunnel cover was provided in my kit from Keisler.  The kit also provided a transmission crossmember which works fine, but I used urethane shims from an outside source.  You may have to use an offset bracket for your shift lever, especially if you have a console (which also may need to be modified).  My hurst lever was relocated back about 3 inches.  Check out my build thread for more info . . .

Good luck!  Darren

Rolling_Thunder

The SRT manifolds only fit with a K member swap that deletes the torsion bars.

The TTI headers on my 6.1L didn't fit for shit....    I wont buy another pair - I'll buy some $300 headers next time

I would go with a T-56 as well...   that's what is replacing my 5-speed when I get back to CA. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Hudson Hornet !

I appreciate the replies so far. Do the srt manifolds physically hit the torsion bars, or is it just impossible to run an exhaust up to the manifolds with bars in place?

Dino

The T-56 is worth the tunnel work and the carpet will fit, especially if you have a console.  Look up Kens68charger on youtube for a 3 part how to video.  The stock console stays right where it belongs and hides all the modifications.  Efi would be my choice without hesitation, but that's not for everyone.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

thedodgeboys

Quote from: Hudson Hornet ! on November 19, 2014, 06:20:04 PM
I appreciate the replies so far. Do the srt manifolds physically hit the torsion bars, or is it just impossible to run an exhaust up to the manifolds with bars in place?

the manifold dumps dead center on the torsion bar no way around it.

I did the 6 speed also in my challenger and I love it.

Hudson Hornet !

Thanks!

Is there a particular t56 to watch for or will they all do the job?

Dino

You can look at wikipedia to see the torque ratings and gear ratios for each.  I'm probably going with the late model Trans Am and Camaro model as it gives me the ratos I want and is more than strong enough for my driving.  There's new T-56's on ebay that can handle a lot more but they'll cost a little over $3K.  A good used T-56 runs somewhere between 1200-2000.  Figure in around $600 for the bell housing as well.

Hudson Hornet !

Thanks Dino.

I also have the opportunity to buy a 6.4 hemi computer and wiring harness for $ 300. Would this be a good way to go for fuel injection or should I try to go another route?

Dino

I would definitely to go the EFI route with that engine and trans.  It'll be the most reliable.   :yesnod:

thedodgeboys

Quote from: Hudson Hornet ! on November 20, 2014, 11:02:51 AM
I also have the opportunity to buy a 6.4 hemi computer and wiring harness for $ 300. Would this be a good way to go for fuel injection or should I try to go another route?

I assume this is a factory harness and ECU???

If I was building one on the cheap and easy plan, I would call this guy and buy his stuff. He will tell you if that computer is workable or not http://www.hotwireauto.com/?page=sales-dcx

If your serious about a 6 speed I have a low mileage quick time Chevy t56 to small block Mopar bellhousing $350 shipped.

Rolling_Thunder

You can run either an LS1 or a Viper T-56 without issue - just know that input shaft lengths are different so you need the correct bellhousing.

I am swapping in a Viper spec T-56 so im keeping my eyes peeled for the proper bellhousing.

The PCM will most likely not be workable - once they are locked by the dealer with security embedded they are not useable...     but you can get a new PCM or an older 2005 hemi ram with a manual trans and upload a 6.4L tune to that very easily. - the harness is a good purchase.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip