News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Guess who's getting a Hemi... This guy.

Started by hatersaurusrex, November 14, 2014, 08:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatersaurusrex

Went and looked at it Wed night and I'm pretty excited.  I pick it up tomorrow and take it back to my brother's shop to begin the rebuild process.  1966 WT (dealer ordered, not warranty) block, comes with a set of aluminum K heads, a tunnel ram, and a pair of 1050 street dominators.   Will probably put a different manifold on it so I don't have to cut my hood.

My 68 already has a Big Block K-member, but I've read you need to fab the motor mount brackets to work with a Hemi. Anyone here know where a good write-up is on that or have done it themselves?

Seriously - I'm like a kid at Christmas.    I can't wait to put Hemi badges between the door scallops.

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Ghoste

I believe Schumaker make an adapter to put it in the big block style K frame, barring that I think you'll have to get a Hemi one.
Congratulations too btw.  :cheers:

Mogre

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on November 14, 2014, 08:42:11 AM
block, comes with a set of aluminum K heads, a tunnel ram, and a pair of 1050 street dominators.   W

Well, there's a good combo for the street!

moparnation74

Congrats!  That is awesome!  Tony Schumacher has the engine mounts you need.

Baldwinvette77

SWEET!! Now you can win every argument!!!!!!  :lol:

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 15, 2014, 06:45:20 AM
Quote from: hatersaurusrex on November 14, 2014, 08:42:11 AM
block, comes with a set of aluminum K heads, a tunnel ram, and a pair of 1050 street dominators.   W

Well, there's a good combo for the street!

Yeah - this will give me the perfect excuse to buy a more streetable car for cruise nights, etc.  I have a feeling this car will only be fun at 3500 RPMs plus and will shake like a meth addict at idle :)   Pics of the mill to follow.

hatersaurusrex

westcoastdodge

I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

TexasStroker

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Ghoste

Whats the history on it?  Obviously someone must have been using for racing.

Challenger340

Good for you, NICE find  :2thumbs:
Strange, but there have been a few popping out of the brush these last few years ?
Time was a guy couldn't beg, borrow, or even steal even a "rumor" where to find one... then, the last couple of years 'outa the blue, we've had 2 come through our shop door for rebuild.
The last one was Std Bore, Std/Std Crank, looked like it had never been run !
Maybe the guys who've been hoarding them away for decades are kicking off ? Who knows ?

GREAT find ! ENJOY !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

hatersaurusrex

Ghoste - it was actually used for racing.

As for history - the father of the guy I bought it from used to own a Chrysler dealership and in his youth he owned and raced lots of different Mopars.  He said the engine came dealer special order (thus the WT block and aluminum heads) and was installed in a '66 Belvedere that he used to race.  He pulled and dismantled it 20+ years ago, cosmolined the block, and has just been sitting on it since then.   He said he hadn't planned to sell it, but we all know how that goes.

The bores are still good and it came with two sets of pistons and two cranks (one is a short throw crank to keep the cubes under 400).   One of the pistons is banged up from having dropped a valve but all the rest of the parts look to be in good shape.   

It's amazing how light the heads are for the size.  You can easily pick them up with one hand.  I'd never even seen an aluminum hemi head before let alone handled one.   Up close the carbs and tunnel ram are enormous - the air horn on the carbs are the size of dinner plates.  It's pretty ridiculous.

I had been toying for a while with the idea of either a 440 or a stroked 400, then my brother called me and says 'I have a lead on a race Hemi, are you interested?' As if he had to ask :)   We went out and looked at it and I picked it up Saturday.   It was hard not to just stand there for hours looking at it.   I can finally see the vision of where I want my car when it's done and it's rekindled the build fire :)

Mytur Binsdirti

You can probably sell those aluminum K-heads for a pretty penny & trade up for a set of done brand new heads with very little or nothing out of pocket. Something to consider.    :Twocents:

timmycharger

tan top

wow !!   congratulations  !!  awesome stuff  :cheers: :faint: :dance: 

:cheers: :popcrn: :yesnod: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Lennard

UFO

Good catch.  :2thumbs:
If you want to sell the carbs,I would be interested.
Although it's probably best to sell as a pkge with the intake.

Back N Black

That looks intimidating, make you pee in you pants just looking at it.  :2thumbs:

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 18, 2014, 01:37:55 PM
You can probably sell those aluminum K-heads for a pretty penny & trade up for a set of done brand new heads with very little or nothing out of pocket. Something to consider.    :Twocents:

Thought about that - I'm currently weighing the cost of rebuilding these heads vs the odds that I'll ever see another set.   K heads give it just a little more badassery.

Ghoste

Stegs

charger_fan_4ever

Those intake runners are gianorrrmousss   :yesnod:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

jww426

JWWIV