News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SEM Trim Black for dash?

Started by Dreamcar, November 13, 2014, 01:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

Anyone use SEM paint for the steel dash frame? Is there a bid difference in texture vs. the original paint?

I want to have my dash blasted soon, then I'll spray epoxy and black paint. If there's not much difference between the SEM that I can get locally vs paint from someplace like Autocolorlibrary.com that I'll have to pay shipping and duties on, I rather just stick with SEM. However, if there's a big difference, I'll order that "correct" stuff.

Thanks
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

oldcarnut

I just painted 2 dashes with it.  You can see them here. Like most that have used it on other threads,  you can hold off a little more distance on last coat and give it dry dust coat and it will give some texture.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,114013.0.html

Dreamcar

Quote from: oldcarnut on November 13, 2014, 01:43:55 PM
I just painted 2 dashes with it.  You can see them here. Like most that have used it on other threads,  you can hold off a little more distance on last coat and give it dry dust coat and it will give some texture.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,114013.0.html

Thanks!! I'm actually thinking of trying the rattle can too since my compressor is put away in my shed for the winter. If it doesn't work, no big deal. 
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

oldcarnut

The 69 frame I blasted and painted.  The 70 just needed cleaning and recoat as mostly the 69 did but I didn't feel like going all through the blasting again.  Good luck  :cheers:

timmycharger

I used SEM trim black on my dash, very happy with the result. Did the dry spray technique too.  :cheers:

Dreamcar

Quote from: timmycharger on November 13, 2014, 06:00:54 PM
I used SEM trim black on my dash, very happy with the result. Did the dry spray technique too.  :cheers:

Looks great!!!

Monziac

I like SEM trim black, but what I dont like is how easy it is to wipe off with laquer thinner, brake cleaner etc. If you ever have to touch the dash with any solvemt, plan on respraying it. I used a single stage urethane with flattener.

Dino

SEM trim black looks great and I absolutely love it, but it's not the most durable.  You can however follow it up with a few coats of flat clear and it'll look the same and add durability.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dreamcar

Thanks for the replies...I think I'll be sending my dash to the blaster soon!

Dreamcar

Quote from: Dino on November 13, 2014, 10:46:49 PM
SEM trim black looks great and I absolutely love it, but it's not the most durable.  You can however follow it up with a few coats of flat clear and it'll look the same and add durability.

Flat clear or semi-gloss??

Monziac

Its your preferenfe really. I dont like the flat look so I sprayed mine satin / semi gloss.

Dino

I like flat because it always has a minor sheen in it anyway and will look the same as just having trim black.  I would also use flat because satin may reflect the light onto your windshield.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Monziac

Yes, I sprayed flat on the windshield exposed side. Remainder had more of a gloss, transition point was the dash pad.

Dreamcar

bill440rt

SEM trim black on mine as well, used the dry-spray technique for texture. More than happy with the results.
Most rattle can paints will not hold up to solvents, anyway. If you decide to clear it you will lose the texture if you replicate it.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dreamcar

Quote from: bill440rt on November 15, 2014, 09:49:30 AM
SEM trim black on mine as well, used the dry-spray technique for texture. More than happy with the results.
Most rattle can paints will not hold up to solvents, anyway. If you decide to clear it you will lose the texture if you replicate it.

Does the spray yours I version of SEM hold up better?

bill440rt

Quote from: Dreamcar on November 15, 2014, 10:11:30 AM

I've had no need to clean my dash with something as strong as solvent, but it's held up fine to normal interior cleaners (glass cleaner, vinyl cleaner, etc).
Gave it two medium coats, then while the 2nd coat was flash drying I dry-sprayed the paint giving it the texture. Hold the can away lightly misting the paint on evenly. Very closely matches the original.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dreamcar

Quote from: bill440rt on November 15, 2014, 10:17:29 AM
Quote from: Dreamcar on November 15, 2014, 10:11:30 AM

I've had no need to clean my dash with something as strong as solvent, but it's held up fine to normal interior cleaners (glass cleaner, vinyl cleaner, etc).
Gave it two medium coats, then while the 2nd coat was flash drying I dry-sprayed the paint giving it the texture. Hold the can away lightly misting the paint on evenly. Very closely matches the original.

I just noticed my typo in my last post. Stupid auto correct! Anyways...Bill, if I understand correctly, you did use the rattle can?

bill440rt

Sorry, yes just SEM trim black in a rattle can.

Dreamcar

Quote from: bill440rt on November 15, 2014, 10:31:04 AM
Sorry, yes just SEM trim black in a rattle can.

I'm certainly going to try it then. I saw the pics of your car and it's amazing!!