News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who makes a nice quality dash pad for my 68 Charger?

Started by Monziac, November 10, 2014, 08:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monziac

I have sent 2 back due to poor quality. Anyone make a good one?

Thanks,
Jon

bill440rt

Without knowing which supplier you bought the pad from, I would say either BE/A-PG Classics or Legendary offers the highest quality pads.
Earlier repros were just uncovered molded urethane with no metal backing. Junk.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Monziac

From a compant called Al Knoch Interiors out of Texas. Thank you for the response.

TexasStroker

I bought mine from Classic Industries...I was very happy with the quality.  The studs seem slightly shorter, but reinstalling it with the dash frame in the car wouldn't be much easier with the 1/16" or so extra, lol.

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/mb531100.html

See what you think of that one...
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TexasStroker

Quote from: bill440rt on November 12, 2014, 03:20:57 PM
Doesn't Classic sell the ones from BEA/PG?  :shruggy:

I have never known...there are no traces of who the manufacturer is...I would love to have a solid source for all the repop parts though.

I tried to figure that out before ordering the upper door panel pads, but no one could come up with solid answers.  B/E & A is the only place I knew of making the uppers, but then they fanned out to the other distributors and I've not known if they all originate from the same source, or if a few outfits make them etc.  The quality on both the dash pad and upper door panel pads has been great, I just don't know if it is OER, B/E&A, or some 3rd party where Classic is sourcing them, lol.

The only knock I have on the pad I got is the studs being slightly shorter...not a huge deal, but I'd have preferred the extra 1/8" or so be "longer" as opposed to "shorter." 

If anyone knows for sure feel free to chime in...

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

fy469rtse

I didn't realy notice the studs too short , but four years had gone by to reinstall ,
Pg classics , my only complaint or wish is the were a little wider to fit closer to a pillar trim, but that gap could be stock , fitted well,
But was one of the first things I fitted to dash frame

TexasStroker

Quote from: fy469rtse on November 13, 2014, 03:14:30 AM
I didn't realy notice the studs too short , but four years had gone by to reinstall ,
Pg classics , my only complaint or wish is the were a little wider to fit closer to a pillar trim, but that gap could be stock , fitted well,
But was one of the first things I fitted to dash frame

Hmm...I haven't tried actually installing mine yet...I just know it looks pretty good, lol.  I really hope it fits tight against the A-Pillar trim.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

bull

Dodge makes the best ones I've seen. ;D Seriously, if you can find a decent original you'll be time and money ahead. You may spend a bit more and they may be hard to find but they fit and last, if they weren't neglected in the Arizona sun.

There are two originals on ebay right now. One of them is from Wildcat Auto here in Oregon.

bill440rt

Agreed. Nothing beats clean, original parts.

Haven't compared the '68 pads, but the '69-'70 pads differ slightly at the recess on the bottom of the pad where the heat/AC slider controls are.
Not a biggie, but it could make a difference if correctness counts.

Mike DC

QuoteYou may spend a bit more and they may be hard to find but they fit and last, if they weren't neglected in the Arizona sun.

My first 69's dash was already cracked 20 years ago, and the car had spent its whole life in the rust-belt.  

And even if you do find a non-cracked one, how close is it to cracking?  This stuff is 45 years old.  I've seen ones that didn't look cracked but one hard squeeze with your fingers would crack them.    It wouldn't be much fun to pay big money for an original only to have it cracking a year later.  

Dino

Mike you're not kidding.  My original still looks like new, but I don't dare to put any pressure on it for fear of causing the inevitable.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

But really, how many of us go around squeezing our dash pads??   :lol:  :icon_smile_wink:

Monziac

My wife wont let me squeeze her so I find myself constantly reaching for my dash pad... Hence why I need a new one.....  :nana:

Mike DC

QuoteBut really, how many of us go around squeezing our dash pads??

Depends on how fast your car is and who rides with you. 

Monziac

Got my dash pad from Classic Industries yesterday and looks very nice! Double boxed and very nice. Thanks guys.

Jon

bill440rt

Monziac

bull

It's moot now in this thread but the longevity of an original dash pad depends on the climate in which it was stored. I bought, dyed and installed a nice original pad that spent most of its life in Oregon and out of the elements. It looks and feels great and I fully expect it to last another 30+ years.

TexasStroker

Quote from: Monziac on November 27, 2014, 07:48:25 AM
Got my dash pad from Classic Industries yesterday and looks very nice! Double boxed and very nice. Thanks guys.

Jon

Cool...glad you are happy with it. 
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!