News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I clean a fuel tank out myself?

Started by WH23G3G, November 07, 2014, 08:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I got this 86 Plymouth Reliant Station Wagon that hadn't been started in 10 years. I got it started with some carb cleaner until it runs out. So I pulled the fuel tank to have it cleaner and replace the pump. I took the tank to a radiator shop to get it cleaned and they told me just a clean would be $75. And $125 to clean and sealed. I'm just trying to get this thing running so I'm going to put in a new fuel pump, sending unit, fuel pressure regulator, and blow out the lines. But I don't know if I should buy a new tank or can I clean it at home? It's got a lot of scale in the bottom I can see. I know I've heard of cleaning inside with some bolts and sloshing it around inside to clean it out. Is this the best way to do it or is there another way to clean it so that I don't have to buy a new tank? I don't think I'm going to go all out and restore a K-car wagon so I just want to get it running and driving as a backup. Can I degrease the inside with some heavy duty degreaser if it's going to be awhile before I reinstall the tank?

Pete in NH

Hi,

Rockauto has new tanks listed for between $70 and $85. That would certainly be the easiest way to go, especially since you are already replacing the pump and sending unit.

You can clean the tank yourself but, it is a messy job and you'll have to deal with some unpleasant, nasty chemicals. Old gasoline is very difficult stuff to deal with and clean up. Over a long period of time it breaks down into a varnish that is quite hard to dissolve and remove. To clean the tank you can put in a gallon or two of lacquer thinner or acetone and a length of chain or a bunch of bigger nuts and bolts in the tank. Then seal up all the openings and shake really hard for quite a while. The problem is when you're done you have to deal with disposing of the old solvent which now contains all that old gasoline varnish. You can then rinse the tank well with a detergent solution  and water, and follow with an acid wash to cut through the remaining rust. Then neutralize the acid wash with baking soda, rinse again and dry. By this point you might find the tank now has small pin hole leaks if the rust was really bad.

Like I said, buying a new tank is what I would do. It really is the less costly way out and you know it's really clean and rust free.

el dub

Quote from: WH23G3G on November 07, 2014, 08:52:05 PM
I got this 86 Plymouth Reliant Station Wagon that hadn't been started in 10 years. I got it started with some carb cleaner until it runs out. So I pulled the fuel tank to have it cleaner and replace the pump. I took the tank to a radiator shop to get it cleaned and they told me just a clean would be $75. And $125 to clean and sealed. I'm just trying to get this thing running so I'm going to put in a new fuel pump, sending unit, fuel pressure regulator, and blow out the lines. But I don't know if I should buy a new tank or can I clean it at home? It's got a lot of scale in the bottom I can see. I know I've heard of cleaning inside with some bolts and sloshing it around inside to clean it out. Is this the best way to do it or is there another way to clean it so that I don't have to buy a new tank? I don't think I'm going to go all out and restore a K-car wagon so I just want to get it running and driving as a backup. Can I degrease the inside with some heavy duty degreaser if it's going to be awhile before I reinstall the tank?

take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it out.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem