News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock 440 carb recommendations?

Started by ionracer24, November 07, 2014, 01:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ionracer24

I have a stock 440 with an edelbrock intake manifold.  What carb would ya'll recommend for it.  It has a rebuilt holley 650 currently but runs like garbage...
Real race cars have three pedals......

chargerbr549

I just installed an 800 Thunder series AVS carb on my 74 440 Dodge pickup and a definate improvement over the stock Thermoquad on there. It starts great, idles great and great throttle response, no complaints here. Right now I just have a stock 1970 intake manifold on it and will probably upgrade to a performer rpm in the near future.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ionracer24

Real race cars have three pedals......

1974dodgecharger

TUFCAT

800 Thunder Series....or the numbers matching original if you can find it.

myk

John_Kunkel

If the 650 Holley runs poorly there's something wrong with the carb (rebuilt or not) or the problem lies elsewhere.

650 is probably the ideal size for a stock 440.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

moparnation74

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 08, 2014, 03:54:23 PM

If the 650 Holley runs poorly there's something wrong with the carb (rebuilt or not) or the problem lies elsewhere.

650 is probably the ideal size for a stock 440.
:iagree:   I have a stock 440 and I replaced the factory AVS with the Edlebrock Thunder Series 1805 650 cfm manual choke.  Runs, performs, and starts like a champ.

69wannabe

Holley 750 vacuum secondary or 750 double pumper works great on a 440 ci.

myk

Try tuning the 'carb before buying another one.  Don't fall into the "my car doesn't run right so I must need a new 'carb" pitfall...

bill440rt

I have an Edelbrock 800 (performer) non-Thunder series carb, fattened up a bit with their tuning kit. Works good for me, easy to tune.
I hear the Thunder series carbs are better, so I may swap it out sometime in the future.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Stegs

I have a performer 600 on my bone stock 440, car runs fantastic (other than a slight knock at higher rpms, I think it just needs to be fine tuned)

but yes my 600 is great, car goes like crazy

Dino

Quote from: Stegs on November 10, 2014, 07:15:54 AM
I have a performer 600 on my bone stock 440, car runs fantastic (other than a slight knock at higher rpms, I think it just needs to be fine tuned)

but yes my 600 is great, car goes like crazy

That's what I recently bought and it looked very promising but the cam didn't seem to like it.  I'm keeping it though to use when I install a closer to stock cam in the spring.  Throttle response seemed really nice.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

motoreese

I have a 440, bore .040" over, I'm planning on a 298/303 camshaft, 906 triple cut port and polished heads, I have an Edlebrock daul plain high rise intake and hooker headers. I'm currently running a Holley 750 vac secondaries.
I've been told an 850 double pumper would wake here up big time! From what I'm reading everywhere that may be too much carb, I've also read no such thing as too much carb! I definitely would prefer manual secondaries, but she is not a race car more like a grocery getting! I'd like to have the power if some Honda pisses me off lol.
I'm I ok with what I got or you guys think upgrade?
Thank you

Lord Warlock

If the 440 six pack had 1400cfm and the 440 wasn't overfed, how is an 800 too much? I got a performer 750cfm for mine a few years back-probably around 10 years now.  I can't attest to how well it works though as it only starts and idles and revs in place without getting driven.  Hope to see if its the right choice soon though, can attempt to drive it as soon as I get another car running and moved out of the driveway entrance to the backyard where the charger is stored. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 16, 2015, 02:09:42 AM
If the 440 six pack had 1400cfm

Nope, the 2-barrels are rated at a different manifold vacuum than 4-barrels...for comparison to a 4-barrel the six-pack is 960 cfm.

And, normal cruising was done on the center carb so, once again, the benefits of a smaller carb for drivability are shown.  
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

But in cruising the primary barrels should be the only two if all is set up correctly (and a vacuum secondary of course) so the point is somewhat moot no?