News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Honing plates

Started by Ghoste, November 05, 2014, 08:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When it comes to using honing plates

Always, a square block is free power
9 (81.8%)
Race only, not needed for the street
2 (18.2%)
Just door stops
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

john108

The machinist that did my engine always uses them.  His experience is and was with racing teams.  They are too expensive to buy all the sizes he might need so he rents them.  I don't remember but I think it was between $30 to $50 to rent.

Ghoste

If that were an option here I'd be all over it.  The unfortunate part of being away from it all.

Challenger340

Quote from: john108 on November 15, 2014, 01:56:16 PM
The machinist that did my engine always uses them.  His experience is and was with racing teams.  They are too expensive to buy all the sizes he might need so he rents them.  I don't remember but I think it was between $30 to $50 to rent.

Boy, do I ever feel THAT Guy's pain !

We have 12 different Torque Plates for different engine applications, 6 of which are Mopars.

At $ 500-$1,000 each that I've had to pay for mine over the years, it gets annoying listening to some guys whine about a $60. charge for using the T/Plate when honing ?
and that's just to cover the extra time spent.... while "thread chasing" all the head bolts holes prior to installing the plate !

I can't see renting them out as a regular thing, it wouldn't be worth the money vrs damage/abuse the plate could be subjected to.
I have LENT a few of mine out to other shops over the years.... but only after a good yak with the borrower about HOW he was gonna use them.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Sixty bucks seems a pretty good bargain to me.

Challenger340

Quote from: Ghoste on November 16, 2014, 09:39:43 AM
Sixty bucks seems a pretty good bargain to me.

LOL !
Come to think of it.... we were charging that same $60. back in the mid 90's ? 

Might be time to raise that a bit.... but alas... we are GOING to use the Plate as standard practise nonetheless, so as long as we get "something" for doing so, better than nothing I guess.   
We still get the odd whiner though ? too funny.... just give 'em THAT look !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Well just based on the carefully applied scientific principles of the poll I did here there were 10 answers and 2 said not needed for the street so it stands to reason that there could be as many as 20% of your customers thinking its a waste.   :shruggy: :icon_smile_big:

JB400

Sounds like a case of uninformed public to me. :popcrn:

green69rt

Given that I voted no and have absolutely no experience or knowledge in the area you may want to "adjust" you results.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: JB400 on November 16, 2014, 01:04:44 PM
Sounds like a case of uninformed public to me. :popcrn:

Well, I've been building engines for 50 years and know the value of honing plates but I still contend it's wasted money for the street.

One of the OP's choices claims it's "free power" and it ain't free.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Well nothing is free John, we all know that but I think the point of certain machining practices providing benefit without the usual addition of a purchased component to add was understood.  Clearly my wording in this topic has been horribly off for few but the responses have still proven useful for me.  I'm glad you voted no and stand by your choice, the opinion is most assuredly taken into account even if the phrase "free power" was a poor one.