News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

a 383 in a rally car?

Started by Lightning, March 22, 2006, 01:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightning

hello all, it's time for the next crazy idea that Lightning's gonna try to do! (this one's actually feasible and gonna work too!)

I'm gonna take some kinda RWD Mopar RALLY RACING!  it turns out after checking the rule books for SCCA Rallycross and Rally America, I can "legally" put a 383 into the LeBaron (or any other classic Mopar).

they have a displacement formula that they use to make sure everything's kosher within the rally world, turns out the FIA uses it too.

the limit is 5100cc, but they use a multiplier based on the type of engine it is.
for turbo/supercharged engines its the displacement x 1.8, for pushrods it's 0.8

so I found a site that did displacement conversions, and a 383 is 6274cc.  6274 x .8 = 5019cc!

so once I get the car prepped, the rally world can once again hear some Mopar big block thunder!
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Mike DC

Hey, that's really cool!

The snootier types are gonna get their butts whupped by a hot 383 too.  They're gonna expect something like a smallblock Chevy at the most, not the big-block level of torque that any decent Mopar 383 makes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd try to set the engine up to be as lightweight at possible.  Eddy aluminum heads, tubular headers instead of iron exhuast manifolds, aluminum intake, aluminum water pump & housing, etc. 

You probably won't notice any one single difference with this stuff, but you'd definitely feel the cumulative effect of all of it together.  I think it totals up about 100 pounds of wieght-loss on a 440, and it's all coming off the top & front of the engine.

Lightning

I forgot to add the car's getting used for drifting and autocrossing too, this is gonna be a fun low budget buildup.

here's a good question though, should I use a spool or a Sure-grip (it's getting 3.55's or 3.73's either way)?

6pkrunner

You appreciate building a warm 340 more than the 383. Rally cars like handling and a warm 340 would make a nicer package. Unless you got a 383 laying around and like severe understeer.

mustanghater

This is better then my 350 chevy in a saturn idea
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Mike DC

The 340 idea is good too.  But 40 inches is a lot to leave on the table, especially when there are stock 360s lying all over the place. 

Brock Samson

what happened to your other ideas?..  :-\

twilt

Quote from: Stratocharger on March 22, 2006, 09:41:06 PM

he cant afford to do any of em. some people dream out loud while they are awake, others silently while they sleep.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Stratocharger on March 22, 2006, 09:41:06 PM

They all fizzled out just like this one will... :image_294343:

KMPX2

Not to burst your bubble but the car will be nose heavy for that kind of driving. That was a reason the T/A's & AAR's used 340's

Lightning

Quote from: KMPX2 on March 23, 2006, 09:25:22 AM
Not to burst your bubble but the car will be nose heavy for that kind of driving. That was a reason the T/A's & AAR's used 340's

actually, it wasnt.  They used the 340 because it was the best small block that Mopar had at the time, since the trans am series required small blocks.  Otherwise they would've probably ended up with 383's.

the reason for the 383 over the 340 and 360: can't find either one of the two around here.

it's either the 383 or stroking the 318 w/o an overbore. (I think it ends up being a 384 or something like that, am I close?)

EDIT: would it be possible to set the engine back by a couple to three inches and just get a shorter driveshaft?

(when I get the 383 I'll wind up getting aluminum heads for it for the weight savings)

twilt

Quote from: Lightning 06 on March 23, 2006, 01:12:02 PM

actually, it wasnt.  They used the 340 because it was the best small block that Mopar had at the time, since the trans am series required small blocks.  Otherwise they would've probably ended up with 383's.

the reason for the 383 over the 340 and 360: can't find either one of the two around here.

it's either the 383 or stroking the 318 w/o an overbore. (I think it ends up being a 384 or something like that, am I close?)

EDIT: would it be possible to set the engine back by a couple to three inches and just get a shorter driveshaft?

(when I get the 383 I'll wind up getting aluminum heads for it for the weight savings)

i know typing this is a waste of time because all of this blather is all hypothetical and lacks any real chance of funding. with that said, if you cant find a 360 in your neck of the woods................ I am surprised that you are able to find toilet paper ......... 

89MOPAR

Spools are made for straight line grip, both axles turning at the same speed all the time.  That is why they are potent for drag racing.
However, if you intend on turning at all......

Do not use a spool in an autocross, rally, or road race car.   Picture this in your daydream - Large 150 year Old oak tree not moving as your Mopar gets scrunched like an accordion.. :icon_smile_sad:
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Steve P.

360's are sometimes spotty here.. BUT,,,,,,,,  open your eyes a little and you will find them. The yard closest to me has 5 or 6 of them in vans right now and I know that at least 3 of them drove in..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TK73

Quote from: Lightning 06 on March 23, 2006, 01:12:02 PM

Did you say you can't find a 360, or did I misunderstand that?  Able to find 383s over 360s, "Magicalville"...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Lightning

well, as y'all predicted, lol, I'm gonna go stock car racing instead. But the idea is gonna live on as I might be able to get my hands on a A-body later next year.  maybe I do like to dream out loud.....i dunno......maybe I need help.

Steve P.

Lightning, start saving your money for when a realllly nice car lands in front of you..

It's great to dream, but if you can't buy, it's allllllways going to just be a dream....

I met a young couple at a local cruise in a week or so ago that just bought a 73' (?) Duster local.  (Local being here in Florida)... They paid $1300. for it. If you ask me they stole the car. V-8 auto with A/C and it's very straight and solid.

The guy told me he was saving for a Road Runner and had about $10K saved for it. He parked next to this car at Walmart and asked the woman driving it if she wanted to sell it. She said she was about done with it. The rest is history...

You just never know. You just have to have the cash...................
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida