News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger R/T S/E Sunroof Car: Time Capsule

Started by bad88t-top, October 30, 2014, 08:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad88t-top

Hi guys,
I'm not a regular to the site but I do mingle occasionally since I completed the restoration on my black 70 RT 4 speed driver in 2010.  I love talking Chargers with all the friends I've made at Carlisle and I'm excited to announce I have another Charger project that will soon be in the works.  Those of you that know me and my dad know my dad's a lifelong Charger whore and that's how I acquired my black 70.   I grew up in the car and as far back as I remember I recall shifting the 4 speed on dads lap or by sitting on the console with both hands.  lol, yup; no car seat laws back in the 80's. 

Anyhow, another one of my father's prize procession's is the 70 RT SE Sunroof car he purchased back in late 1981.   It's B7 exterior and B5 interior in addition to the white vinyl top made it an attractive car and my dad recalls it flying around the neighborhood doing burnouts at every intersection.  Later that summer the kid/owner stopped by our house (I was 3 at the time) and asked my dad if he wanted to purchase the Charger for $2200.  At the time money was tight and my dad also had the black 70 RT in the garage in addition to another 70 SE, 68 RT, and also a freshly purchased 70 Hemi Cuda with red guts ($3900).    It wasn't until later in the conversation when my dad noticed the car contained a power sunroof and that's something he never even Dodge manufactured in a B-body.  Regardless he had to have it so the kid left the car at the house, walked home with a $500 check in hand, and told my dad to get him the cash in the next month or 2 so he could buy a truck for winter.  Not a bad deal.

The car was put in the garage where it sat for 2 weeks until the kids parents arrived demanding payment.  My dad was forced to go to the local credit union and get a loan for the remaining $1700 balance.  The car was driven to work for the next few weeks until the fall weather arrived and then it was parked for the winter not realizing the RT SE would sit there undriven for the next 13 years - until 1994.

My dad loved his Mopars but being a father of 4 kids there wasn't much time to enjoy his passion.  We played every sport and were engaged in every activity known to man and we continued to enjoy the black 70 R/T as time permitted going to local car cruises and some occasional light to light action with a Chevy or Ford.  Unfortunately a divorce in 1995 forced the sale of the Hemi Cuda but the Chargers were able to be retained.   Shortly before the divorce I was an ambitious kid that wanted to restore a Charger so I pulled the engine out of the sunroof car and began detailing it but unfortunately that's as far as I got before the Charger was hauled off to storage where it would live for the next 20 years until being resurrected on Labor Day of this year.  Now it's finally at my house pending a full restoration by yours truly.
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

bad88t-top

Part II

Now a little detail on the Charger.   It's a 70 RT /SE, B7 exterior, B5 interior, white vinyl top w/ Power Sunroof, 440 automatic with Air Conditioning, Rear Window Defogger, AM/FM, Console, PDB, PS, Tinted Glass, Wood Grain Wheel, 6 way seat, Rocker Moldings, 15" rally's w/ Polyglas's, 26" rad, Undercoating/Insulation package, 3:55 Sure Grip, CA emission, and stripe delete.  The body is in great condition with a little blistering on the driver's side quarter, A pillar, and a few pin holes in the trunk floor.   The RT SE had some paint work early on in its life on the drivers side, has a dented Driver fender, and an old school tow hitch, that's right, one of the previous owners pulled a boat with this thing.   Crazy   All numbers matching and the engine is currently on the engine stand in my garage pending disassembly and a true overhaul this time around.  3 build sheets were found under the seats when I got it home, 2 of which belong to this car.

I'm hoping this winter I'll be able to fully document (pictures galore) the car and get it disassembled and on the rotisserie so I can begin prepping the body for paint.  I'm uncertain how I'm going to strip the car (by hand, soda, media, shells, etc..) but regardless it will be stripped to bare nuts.  I plan on doing any of the necessary patching myself with the new welder I purchased, priming/sealing the body, and prepping as much as possible before it goes off for paint.  I don't plan on replacing any panels as I'd like to regain as much of the original sheet metal as possible but we'll see what it looks like once it's stripped.  While the body is out for paint each part will be meticulously restored and/or replaced to OE Gold standards as we want this car to be of the highest caliber upon completion.  I plan on making a few upgrades along the way like Base/Clear paint, Power Windows, and possibly Cruise Control.  I was contemplating a 4 speed conversion but since I already have a 4 speed car this one may stay status quo.   

This means I'll be visiting the site even more to share my story with you and also ask questions along the way.  I do have some pictures but at the moment I'm locked out of my Photo bucket account.  If anyone would like me to text them pictures so they can post please let me know.   Enjoy and talk soon.   Bill    Pgh, PA

17 Durango RT

myk

Thanks for sharing your story.  I hope that now you're restoring a Charger you'll be spending more time with us seeking advice-there's a lot of good info to be had here...

BananaDan

I'm tech support for anyone named Bill.  Here's your pics bud!  :2thumbs:

*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Mopar Nut

Cool story, thanks for sharing.

Post pictures as you progress.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparnation74

JB400

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

VegasCharger

Great story Bill :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
I'll enjoy watching this thread.
Thanks for sharing :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Mytur Binsdirti

bakerhillpins

That is just too cool!    :drool5:    Can't wait to see it some day at Carlisle?   :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

mightywing7

Awesome story!  Thanks for sharing.  Looking forward to more updates and upcoming pics.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 Magnum, 727
1968 Dodge Charger - 318, 904
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible, Mark Cross - 2.2L Turbo
1987 Buick Grand National - 3.8L SFI Turbo
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe, Supercharged 3.2L
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8, 6.1L HEMI

bad88t-top

Yes. It will be at Carlisle, Columbus, MCACN, and a few other Big shows when it's done. It's going to be a few years. Lol
17 Durango RT

Beep Beep Dave

Thanks for taking the time to type out the story and sharing the pics. I really enjoyed it. That is quite the car. It would have been quite expensive new. It really compliments your black Charger well.

Good luck with the resto :2thumbs:

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looking good Bill.    If it gets done anything like the black '70, it will be a stunner for sure :cheers:

PS you have great taste in T-shirts ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

charge69

Awesome Charger and a cool story about its' history!  One comment- base coat/clear coat paint job would not be an upgrade in my mind. A good single-stage acrylic like the factory put on it will look stunning in B7 and you can wet-sand it to as shiny as a BC/CC paint job if that is your "look" you want!

My charger has a single-stage paint job and most people assume it is BC/CC because it is so smooth and shiny. BC/CC is usually cheaper than a single-stage but I just happen to like single-stage paint better . Look at this paint and notice the shine. It is just a single-stage acrylic!  YMMV

sdweatherman

Thanks for sharing Bill! Your car is the exact same color combo as my project 71 sunroof Sebring Plus - GB7 - V4W - B5 interior. My car will have to wait its turn for a few years, but I am eager to see this color combo on your car when it is finished. Good luck - Scott.
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

bigdsul

Wow awesome story! My dad had a 1970 Charger that he bought back in 1979 IIRC for around 1k. It wasn't anywhere near as loaded as the one you have but it was a driver. My dad only had a couple of polaroid pictures of the car with me and my brother sitting in the front seat. I remember the car and going out for drives with my dad and younger brother out to the countryside around Tulsa OK. Lots of memories with that car and sadly Dad ended up trading it for a Dodge van in emerald green to help with the move out to California.

That car looks amazing as is! I cant wait to see the finished product.

ramairthree

Very cool car!

My 74 hand crank sunroof is pretty cool, and I have it working,
but hard to find parts for.

It does not seal up great.

472 R/T SE

Bill.  You mention OE & what not with this car.  You were starting to dabble in the big time judged shows with the black car IIRC & plan to go all out with this one.
Wouldn't you want to keep everything according to the broadcast sheet for that?

I've always wondered, actually moreso cause I know how my brother/sisters are.  But is there any animosity from your brothers' towards you taking over your Dad's cars'?

Like Chris mentioned, after getting to see the black car in person the sunroof car will be absolutely stunning. 

bad88t-top

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Mike
Great question.  We'll, like I said before my dad just enjoys driving Mopars and he never had much time to restore or work on them as a result of his work and "dad" schedule over the years. He always had dreams of just getting a paint job let alone taking a car to the level I have. My dad just enjoys spending time with his kids and he'd do anything for us. Fortunately I have a place, the knowledge, and the financial means to restore these cars to the level they deserve yet we still enjoy the hell out of them.
More than likely my middle brother who just got married is going to go in halfers with me on this one as a result of me going in with my dad on another 70 RT were looking to get this week (hopefully). My dad's dream has always been to have a 70 RT for all 3 of us boys so were slowly getting there, in addition to out other "fun" cars. My goal is to eventually get a local Daytona to restore but we'll cross that bridge when it becomes reality.
My other siblings are into mustangs and 370Z's so no fret there. Lol

Cheers.  Bill
17 Durango RT

tan top

:coolgleamA: :drool5:  awesome stuff , thanks for sharing your story  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69rtse4spd

:drool5:, Looks a lot like my 70, same color combo,. Get it registered on the 70 Charger site if not already done so.  :2thumbs:

TUFCAT

Beautiful Charger Bill!  :2thumbs:  

I'm going on record again, so here it goes....1970 Chargers are the best looking!  :drool5:

BROCK

Having met you guys at Carlisle a few years back, I have to agree:  It's in the right hands!!!!!

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world