News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rewired and tucked the car.

Started by redmist, October 29, 2014, 09:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redmist

Factory wiring was crud, ripped every inch of it out, and redid it circuit by circuit with a Ron Francis EXPRESS kit.  Tucked all the wiring as best I could, switched to much simpler GM style switches, new dash inlay, custom Speedhut gauges, moved battery to trunk.

This is what It looked like before starting in the engine bay.

This is what it looks like now. All wires in place! Only thing i didn't hook back up was the washer bottle.

Wiring distribution, Megasquirt MS3X, fuse box, and relay bank are all housed in the glove box.

Speedhut gauges, and an overlay I built on the left side to house my Check engine light, AFR gauge, Wiper switch, and LED dimmer for the gauges.

Thats all for now!!!
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

WHITE AND RED 69

Looks bitchin! Love the look of the motor and those gauges!  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

b5blue

Just 6T9 CHGR

Very cool work!  Love the gauges...very different :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

wingcar

1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

E5 Charger

moparnation74

:drool5: :drool5:
Major improvement!  Great job!

charge69

Really nice job of cleaning up the wiring and love the new gauges! :cheers:  Even simple electrical work on my Charger is intimidating to me so, I am very impressed with your excellent work.  This will be an awesome Charger! :2thumbs:

SRT-440

Looks great! What motor is that?

I'm in the middle of installing a 6.1...and was contemplating using the same wiring/fuse block...looks a bit intimidating tho.  :eek2:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

redmist

It's just a basic .30 over Mopar 440.   :cheers:
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Baldwinvette77

Very nice set up, Mouthwatering even  :drool5: but not something i would do, i try to stay as far away from modernized engines as i can  :lol:

redmist

I use to think that way... Not anymore! Carbs belong in the trash can as far as I am concerned.   :rofl:

moparnation74

Quote from: redmist on October 31, 2014, 01:06:29 PM
I use to think that way... Not anymore! Carbs belong in the trash can as far as I am concerned.   :rofl:
I would love to take the Hellcat drivetrain and dump in a 2nd gen!

The new fuels are making the carbs obsolete.

Cooter

Quote from: redmist on October 31, 2014, 01:06:29 PM
I use to think that way... Not anymore! Carbs belong in the trash can as far as I am concerned.   :rofl:

Not as long as money is a concern....carbs still kill injection.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TexasStroker

Just saw this thread...

How well did you like the Ron Francis Express kit?  Any unforeseen issues?  I value first hand experience a bit more than 3rd hand, lol.  I planned to already have mine on hand, but I've run into some issues with the dash etc. which gives me more time to seek input.

Really like the look of the finished product (dash and underhood).  I'd like to hide my wires as well.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

redmist

About mid way through install I started really liking it as a kit! However! you MUST flush any and all knowledge of how the car was wired from the factory down the toilet. The factory way of wiring these cars was flat stupid. Twice as many wires as needed, with switches that were twice as complicated to get the job done.

I went circuit by circuit and made a checklist as I finished and tested each one. The bags are marked to help as you go. you will need to make some of your old connectors work, or switch over to more common GM stuff in some cases. I switched them over to GM in almost all applications for ease of repair if needed on the road.

TexasStroker

Quote from: redmist on November 18, 2014, 05:23:51 PM
About mid way through install I started really liking it as a kit! However! you MUST flush any and all knowledge of how the car was wired from the factory down the toilet. The factory way of wiring these cars was flat stupid. Twice as many wires as needed, with switches that were twice as complicated to get the job done.

I went circuit by circuit and made a checklist as I finished and tested each one. The bags are marked to help as you go. you will need to make some of your old connectors work, or switch over to more common GM stuff in some cases. I switched them over to GM in almost all applications for ease of repair if needed on the road.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.  I'm thinking it looked like you used a standard toggle for the wiper switch, is that correct?  And I think I see the RF switch for the headlights, but that leaves me wondering what you did for the vacuum operation?

If I could ever get a full Saturday free I could work the dash out and get on to the wiring side...As is, I suppose knowing as much as possible ahead of time won't hurt.  Thanks for any insights.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

redmist

The toggle switch is my emergency flashers. Pull knob on right next to it is a Ron Francis unit. Wiper switch is a Ron Francis as well, and is the knob on the left. It controls both High, Low, Park, and washer by pushing it (I don't have that hooked up.)

Floor dimmer switch is a standard GM unit.

Headlight actuated doors will be the motorized units, I stripped the vacuum powered everything nightmare out of the car.

six-tee-nine

Intersting part on the headlight doors.

I'm als going to change something there. I dont want to run the vacuum all the way into the dash, so I thought about using the OEM vacuum actuators and still use vacuum for opening and closing but to control that vacuum I would build in a solenoid operated valve.
However I am thinking about a complete electric operated conversion too. However I would like to have a system that works just as smooth as the vacuum cans. I dont like the '70 style slamming headlight doors.

Sooooo,  :popcrn: :popcrn:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

TexasStroker

Quote from: redmist on November 19, 2014, 01:55:33 PM
The toggle switch is my emergency flashers. Pull knob on right next to it is a Ron Francis unit. Wiper switch is a Ron Francis as well, and is the knob on the left. It controls both High, Low, Park, and washer by pushing it (I don't have that hooked up.)

Floor dimmer switch is a standard GM unit.

Headlight actuated doors will be the motorized units, I stripped the vacuum powered everything nightmare out of the car.

Ah, Ron sells some trick stuff...Wondered if you would go that route on the headlight doors.

I've seriously considered the Charger Specialties upgrade, but I've honestly not had much trouble with the vacuum switch...I am going to attempt to retain the factory rocker switches with my dash setup...We will see how it goes.  When I first got the car the LH side would not open up fast, but after driving the snot out of it, it seemed to naturally overcome that issue.

Thanks again for the feedback.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

funknut

Dragging up an old thread.

Beautiful install!  :drool5:

Are those the CAN-BUS gauges (Freedom series)?  Any complications/quirks you ran into using those vs. traditional gauges?

I was all ready to get started reworking the dash to address some intermittent gauge issues, but now that I've found these gauges, I may just band-aid what I have for now and save the redesign until I get my EFI/ECU install done.

Decisions, decisions!!   :2thumbs:

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

redmist

Quote from: funknut on December 09, 2015, 10:52:32 AM
Dragging up an old thread.

Beautiful install!  :drool5:

Are those the CAN-BUS gauges (Freedom series)?  Any complications/quirks you ran into using those vs. traditional gauges?

I was all ready to get started reworking the dash to address some intermittent gauge issues, but now that I've found these gauges, I may just band-aid what I have for now and save the redesign until I get my EFI/ECU install done.

Decisions, decisions!!   :2thumbs:

They are not CAN-BUS... I don't think anyhow, I think they were the RS? gauges. The speedo is GPS based and can get you into a whole bunch of trouble.  :D :D  It will do logged 0-60 runs, and full 1/4 mile times if you want it to log those via GPS.  I love them! The set for high low warning lights on each gauge is very nice as well. I don't have to look at the gauges, If I see a bright red light, I know I have something out of my set ranges.