News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help! Window wont come up...

Started by euroZ06, October 26, 2014, 06:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

Car is 73, power windows. Passenger side window wont come up. It was acting up for a while, but today it just wont come up... It was lowered 3/4 of the way down, i tried pressing the button 25 times and nothing... So i lowered it a bit more and tried again, still nothing :( i was in the car for 20 minutes. It has no effect which side switch i use, it just wont come up. What do i do?
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

Dino

Remove the door panel and unhook the wiring to the power window motor.  Run a 12 volt wire from a battery to the motor.  One side will make it go down, the other will make it go up.  If it only goes down the problem is in the motor, if both up and down work the problem is in the wiring.  More work needed from there but this is the first step.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

euroZ06

It does go down no problem. It started glitching few months ago (needed few press of a button to go up), but now it just wont go up.

Is there a way to fix the motor?

Dino

It can probably be fixed yes, could be as simple as a broken wire.  The issue may be the wiring harness as well but it's easier to check the motor first.  I've had mine apart for cleaning and they're really easy to work on.  You can also find them on ebay all day long if you need another as they were used in many models for several years.

euroZ06

Dino

I've never removed a 3rd gen panel.  Look for screws at the door handle and armrest first.  I guess the panel is secured with clips so it would pop off but research this first to make sure.

euroZ06

Ok, i got the panel off, but i cant get to the motor :( i kind of see it, but its too much behind. Do i need to separate the door to get it out, or is there a trick to it? If i have to separate the door, are there any tricks to it? I havent done it before :/ it seems that all the witing is ok (and the motor itself doesnt look to old). When i press down button, i hear the motor click to engage (but the window is all the way down now), but when i press up there is nothing. I tried banging on the motor as much as i could reach, but nothing...

ODZKing

Door panel on a 73 is 2 piece.  Upper half then screws and clips for the lower.  But if you got it off you are already aware.
Let me understand, you jumped the window motor directly and it will go down but not up?
I ask because I had a similar issue with my 73 passenger power window. You would think that even if the right switch is bad, the left master one would still work but it does not.
But as Dino has stated, if you have jumped directly to the PW connector and it goes down but not up, you have a motor issue.   :popcrn:

Dino

If you can reach the motor plug you can test it by putting a test lead on the contacts.  Just be careful not to touch both contacts at the same time!

ODZKing

Another key to whether it is motor or switch is when you push the switch.  If the window does not move and the dome lamp dims a bit, it is the motor.
If you see or hear nothing probably the switch. If you are hearing a click ... sound like a bad motor.
You can see the info on my pages here.
http://www.retrorarities.com/images/PowerWindowMotorRestore.pdf
http://www.retrorarities.com/images/WindowRegulatorRestore.pdf
http://www.retrorarities.com/images/PowerWindowRelay.pdf