News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 SPEED vs. AUTOMATIC - center console differences

Started by madgus2000, October 26, 2014, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madgus2000

I have put up some pictures showing the differences between a 4 speed center console and an automatic center console.  The shell, side trim pieces (on the drivers side), carpets, top console plate are all different.  If one really wanted, they can convert an automatic console into a 4 speed console, buy you can not convert an auto into a stick.  As you can see, the 4 speed shell has a huge cut out, this is where the 4 speed hump is attached. The five red little circles on the consoles indicate where the clips to hold the carpet are located. (The 4 speed console has 2 extra holes located towards the back  if you look carefully, they are not circled in red). I can only post 4 pictures at a time, so I will post more in other threads.
1968 Hemi Charger R/T Red
1968 Hemi Charger R/T Silver
1968 Hemi Charger R/T White
1969 Daytona XX
2006 Daytona 057-200 TorRed

madgus2000

Below is a picture of the 4 speed hump cover which attaches to the drivers side of the center console to cover the huge cut out for the 4 speed hump.  The hump is attached to the console via spring clips, a carpet then is put over the hump for cosmetics.
1969 Daytona XX

madgus2000

Below is a picture of the 4 speed hump, as you can see it is large, hence the huge cut out on the drivers side center console to complement the size.  The carpet set for a 4 speed car,  included is an extra piece to cover the hump (4 pieces).  The automatic carpet set for the center console only requires 3 pieces, because it does not need an extra piece to cover the bulge (hump).  The bottom picture shows an automatic hump, as you can see it contours close the the transmission tunnel, it does not stick out like the 4 speed hump, therefore no extra piece is needed to cover it up.
1969 Daytona XX

Indygenerallee

All you have to do is cut and drill new holes in a A/T console if you want to do the 4 speed swap.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 26, 2014, 09:22:25 PM
All you have to do is cut and drill new holes in a A/T console if you want to do the 4 speed swap.  :Twocents:

Or just leave the console out of there. I don't like how crowded it gets by the foot feet when these cars have a console. I realize the console only takes up a little more space there by the hump but it gets tight.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Indygenerallee

QuoteOr just leave the console out of there. I don't like how crowded it gets by the foot feet when these cars have a console. I realize the console only takes up a little more space there by the hump but it gets tight.

EXACTLY!!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

madgus2000

Below are pictures of center console trims from the drivers side.  If you look closely, the 4 speed trim is longer to compensate for the hump, whereas the automatic trim is shorter.
1969 Daytona XX

madgus2000

Below are pictures of center console brackets.  These are the brackets used when installing a console, one set is for 4 speed cars, the other is for an automatic car.
1969 Daytona XX