News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reproduction 69 grills-In stock at classic industries

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, October 25, 2014, 01:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

Is it correct to assume '70 grills are on their way as well?

I better peddle that NOS one I have ASAP.   ;)

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Lennard on November 03, 2014, 05:45:50 PM
::) Just on the first page of this topic alone I read "cheap" and "a steal".... the price went up soon after that.

Yep and there were 2x as many that said it was reasonable on that first page.  :shruggy:  I'm sorry you felt like I was picking a fight.  :cheers:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

Ill bump this again and see if anyone has any comments about color matching..   

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 02, 2014, 09:35:47 PM
Ill be interested to hear how the colors of the paint match up to OEM as that consistently generates lots of commentary.  I think someone mentioned having an NOS section and was going to buy one.   :scratchchin:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Old Moparz

Quote from: bull on October 25, 2014, 06:23:09 PM
Funny, every time some of us brought up the notion of reproduction 2nd gen grills we were told over and over (by one member imparticular) that they would NEVER, EVER be reproduced because they would cost $3,000 or are too complex or there's no real demand, too many moving parts, etc. :scratchchin:

Anyway, it's a good thing IMO. And the fact that Classic Industries is listing them lends credence to the idea that they will be a quality part. Very good price, too. :2thumbs:

Have to agree, the first thing I thought was that it wouldn't be too difficult to dig up an old thread to quote the folks who insisted it would never be made.  :lol:

I'm glad to see it's done.  :cheers:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

rebby

Quote from: CLASSIC on November 03, 2014, 07:13:44 PM
Quote from: rebby on November 03, 2014, 09:00:00 AM
Quote from: CLASSIC on November 02, 2014, 01:06:47 AM

Sorry for the inconvenience, please PM me with your customer number and we will have our IT team find your abandoned cart and contact you to honor the initial pricing. We did have an introductory price listed initially, but after a full accounting of all costs involved with the initial shipment, the decision was made to make a slight adjustment. However, if you had a cart in the works during the price change, we will honor the introductory price for you.

Fantastic! You certainly didn't have to do that and I greatly appreciate you going out of your way to do so. I've been going through my cart to remove a few parts that I ordered from another supplier and add a few more parts that I'd initially forgotten. I'm going to thumb through the catalog again this morning to make sure that I didn't miss anything else. I'll PM you my customer number. Thanks again.

As for those commenting on my decision to back out of my order the other night over a $70 price increase... It wasn't the price increase that upset me, at $970 these are still a very fair deal (especially when you consider the 20% off coupon), what upset me was the fact that I was actively working my way through the checkout process when I was hit with the price increase. If I had chosen NOT to add a bunch of weather stripping, wiring, and other miscellaneous part, I would never have even known about the price increase. The order would have been submitted and done with. The fact is that I have a grille that will work for my project, I am taking this opportunity to have a better grille. I was not, in any way, delaying my project by not ordering.

Understood, and not a problem at all. Happy to help. The price change during checkout was completely unintentional on our part. We will make sure you are taken care of. Looking forward to your PM.

I'd like to post a follow up here... I just received a call from Classic Industries as promised and they totally took care of me and understood why I was initially upset about the price change. Not only did they honor my initial cart price but they also honored the, now expired, discount code that I was using as well. Not only do I have a repop grill on the way, I have enough parts to fully reassemble my current project car as well. It's enough stuff that it's all being shipped UPS Freight! Since Classic was such a class act dealing with this situation, I just ordered everything that I needed directly from them right now rather than working through multiple vendors as I had initially planned.

Thanks Classic Industries!!!!
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Ghoste

Quote from: myk on November 02, 2014, 10:14:49 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 02, 2014, 09:09:28 PM
I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE BITCH ABOUT 70 DOLLAR INCREASES, BUT BITCH ALSO FOR WHEN THEY FIND ONE ON EBAY FOR 2500 DOLLARS THATS BEEN REDONE BY, 'JOE'  :popcrn:

Quoted for freaking truth.  

They complain when there aren't any grilles.  They complain when there are grilles.  They complain about $70 when the cost of building and maintaining a 2nd gen Charger will nickel and dime them for TENS OF THOUSANDS before the end.

Fine.  Don't buy the grilles, that'll leave more for the rest of us.  If they want the honor of driving rare Mopar muscle there's a price to be paid; we're not building Civics here...

Sooooo, if we met at a swap meet and everyone else was selling a part you needed for your car at 1500 dollars (average) used BUT COMPLETE and I had the plastic portion as a reproduction (and to be fair the plastic portion is what we need) and my price was 600 dollars less than the complete but used stuff (the 2500 dollar ones I've seen were NOS ones and I'm not sure that I know of any that sold for that but I have certainly seen them at swap meets).
So you walk up to me and say, "I'd like one of yours because I think thats a great price and I need it bad", and then as you are handing me the money I respond with "Oh yeah?, umm the price just went up nearly 10%, you'll have to give me more."  No other explanation but that.
Would you guys really just cheerfully give me the cash or would you ask the same questions asked here?

That said, I do think it may have been an honest cost estimate mistake and timing coincidence.  I also though think the responses in this case were very warranted.

el dub

On the upside though people selling the used ones will probably start dropping their prices. Maybe.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ghoste

Hopefully.  Doesn't always seem t happen though.

F8-4life

Thanks for reproducing 69 grills!
Everyone knows one of the best parts of the charger is the bad ass grill.

TUFCAT

Quote from: rebby on November 04, 2014, 12:10:53 PM

I'd like to post a follow up here... I just received a call from Classic Industries as promised and they totally took care of me and understood why I was initially upset about the price change. Not only did they honor my initial cart price but they also honored the, now expired, discount code that I was using as well. Not only do I have a repop grill on the way, I have enough parts to fully reassemble my current project car as well. It's enough stuff that it's all being shipped UPS Freight! Since Classic was such a class act dealing with this situation, I just ordered everything that I needed directly from them right now rather than working through multiple vendors as I had initially planned.

That's cool Rebby....thanks for the update and good job Classic Industries.  You guys deserve one of these....  :2thumbs:  

lukedukem

Quote from: Ghoste on November 04, 2014, 12:27:00 PM
I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE BITCH ABOUT 70 DOLLAR INCREASES, BUT BITCH ALSO FOR WHEN THEY FIND ONE ON EBAY FOR 2500 DOLLARS THATS BEEN REDONE BY, 'JOE'  :popcrn:

They complain when there aren't any grilles.  They complain when there are grilles.  They complain about $70 when the cost of building and maintaining a 2nd gen Charger will nickel and dime them for TENS OF THOUSANDS before the end.

Fine.  Don't buy the grilles, that'll leave more for the rest of us.  If they want the honor of driving rare Mopar muscle there's a price to be paid; we're not building Civics here...

Sooooo, if we met at a swap meet and everyone else was selling a part you needed for your car at 1500 dollars (average) used BUT COMPLETE and I had the plastic portion as a reproduction (and to be fair the plastic portion is what we need) and my price was 600 dollars less than the complete but used stuff (the 2500 dollar ones I've seen were NOS ones and I'm not sure that I know of any that sold for that but I have certainly seen them at swap meets).
So you walk up to me and say, "I'd like one of yours because I think thats a great price and I need it bad", and then as you are handing me the money I respond with "Oh yeah?, umm the price just went up nearly 10%, you'll have to give me more."  No other explanation but that.
Would you guys really just cheerfully give me the cash or would you ask the same questions asked here?

That said, I do think it may have been an honest cost estimate mistake and timing coincidence.  I also though think the responses in this case were very warranted.

i couldn't agree with you more.

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

lukedukem

Sorry for the inconvenience, please PM me with your customer number and we will have our IT team find your abandoned cart and contact you to honor the initial pricing. We did have an introductory price listed initially, but after a full accounting of all costs involved with the initial shipment, the decision was made to make a slight adjustment. However, if you had a cart in the works during the price change, we will honor the introductory price for you.

Fantastic! You certainly didn't have to do that and I greatly appreciate you going out of your way to do so. I've been going through my cart to remove a few parts that I ordered from another supplier and add a few more parts that I'd initially forgotten. I'm going to thumb through the catalog again this morning to make sure that I didn't miss anything else. I'll PM you my customer number. Thanks again.

As for those commenting on my decision to back out of my order the other night over a $70 price increase... It wasn't the price increase that upset me, at $970 these are still a very fair deal (especially when you consider the 20% off coupon), what upset me was the fact that I was actively working my way through the checkout process when I was hit with the price increase. If I had chosen NOT to add a bunch of weather stripping, wiring, and other miscellaneous part, I would never have even known about the price increase. The order would have been submitted and done with. The fact is that I have a grille that will work for my project, I am taking this opportunity to have a better grille. I was not, in any way, delaying my project by not ordering.

Understood, and not a problem at all. Happy to help. The price change during checkout was completely unintentional on our part. We will make sure you are taken care of. Looking forward to your PM.

That's what they were counting on.

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

bull

So what isn't being made for a 69 grill at this point? I know I have seen the frames and fairly sure I have seen the top metal plate. Trim is available, wiring harnesses, hardware kits, etc. Vacuum pods? What about the dogleg bar the vacuum pod connects too? Seems we are finally to the point where there's more available than not, but not quite to the point you can build one with 100% new parts.

JB400

Are the triangular actuator brackets being reproduced yet?

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: JB400 on November 04, 2014, 03:39:56 PM
Are the triangular actuator brackets being reproduced yet?

I haven't seen them anywhere. I sent an email to Ray at Classic Industries and he is going to see if the actuator brackets and "M" or dogleg bar can get into the works. The actuator pods and the clips that attach the actuator to the headlight door are available so with the addition of the brackets and the bar we soon could have full grills available in a catalog.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

rebby

Quote from: lukedukem on November 04, 2014, 03:25:49 PM

thats what they were counting on.

luke

Yep, and since they did NOT tell me to pound sand, I gladly obliged them and ordered everything that I needed from them. In the end I paid roughly the same and I supported a vendor that does right by their customers from a customer service standpoint. They were certainly within their rights to tell me to suck it up and pay more and they didn't. By working out a solution for me, I went from a very annoyed customer to somebody who will likely go to their catalog first when I need more parts in the future.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

472 R/T SE

Quote from: rebby on November 04, 2014, 06:23:11 PM
Quote from: lukedukem on November 04, 2014, 03:25:49 PM

thats what they were counting on.

luke

Yep, and since they did NOT tell me to pound sand, I gladly obliged them and ordered everything that I needed from them. In the end I paid roughly the same and I supported a vendor that does right by their customers from a customer service standpoint. They were certainly within their rights to tell me to suck it up and pay more and they didn't. By working out a solution for me, I went from a very annoyed customer to somebody who will likely go to their catalog first when I need more parts in the future.

I would hope they thought he would order the rest of his stuff from them.  I mean, isn't that what good will is all about?

I would have done the exact same thing had I been the businessman.  If rebby hadn't gave them extra business, somebody else reading how they're offering to take care of everyone would have imo.

Good gravy, it's an anomaly to have a vendor go out of their way to right a mistake....at least I haven't heard about it.  Bill's out of business, I need someone to buy from now.
I need a '68-'70 B body catalog Mr. Classic dude.   :2thumbs:

1974dodgecharger

its not NOS it was redone by, 'JOE'.....ill take the repops still over redone by, 'JOE" who will want 2500 dollars.  I like my repops on my cars no complaints my car is a driver status car not something that sits in a garage and trailed to a show and pushed off.  Nothing against the, 'JOE" guy theres always that guy who wants one done by him and willing to pay 2500 dollars for it just like the 69 steering wheel that everyone wants for 3 grand!!!! 

I got repops bumpers, mirrors, etc...no shame in my game.
Quote from: Ghoste on November 04, 2014, 12:27:00 PM

Fine.  Don't buy the grilles, that'll leave more for the rest of us.  If they want the honor of driving rare Mopar muscle there's a price to be paid; we're not building Civics here...

69 OUR/TEA

I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE BITCH ABOUT 70 DOLLAR INCREASES, BUT BITCH ALSO FOR WHEN THEY FIND ONE ON EBAY FOR 2500 DOLLARS THATS BEEN REDONE BY, 'JOE'  :popcrn:

So you're saying you'd pay $2,500 for an NOS one ?  :scratchchin:

1974dodgecharger

I wouldn't....., but I know a lot of guys would  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

I haven't any redone ones for 2500, how many did Joe sell for that?  In any case my point wasn't about the value of either grille, my point was that the people who complained about the sudden nearly 10 percent increase in price without expalanation were justified to do so.  No one bitched about the grille or the price at the start of the thread, they were upset when they went to order and the price bumped.  Instead of the analogy I used, pretent you decided to were okay with "Joe's" grille and elected to buy it but Joe bumped you 200 just as you said okay I'll take it.
Classic of course has since explained it and honored the price on those inital orders so all is well.

And what 3k steering wheel do you mean?

Ghoste

As an aside, this is one that I saw last summer.  For a 70 and just the plastic parts of the grille but I don't believe it sold so even if Joe asked a million dollars for his refurb it hardly makes that the accepted going price.

6spd68

If you're in the right place at the right time, you can score an original cheap enough.  Mine was 700$ off Kijiji.

I'm still interested to see what the repro 68 looks like.  Will be good to have some piece of mind moving forward.
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Kern Dog

Quote from: Ghoste on November 05, 2014, 06:57:45 AM
As an aside, this is one that I saw last summer.  For a 70 and just the plastic parts of the grille but I don't believe it sold so even if Joe asked a million dollars for his refurb it hardly makes that the accepted going price.

What was the asking price for the 70 grille? Mine is original and in great condition but I wouldn't mind having a nice spare just in case.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 05, 2014, 01:08:38 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 05, 2014, 06:57:45 AM

What was the asking price for the 70 grille? Mine is original and in great condition but I wouldn't mind having a nice spare just in case.

If I read the yellow tag on it correctly looks like it says "$2800 NOS".

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire