News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repro trunk locks?

Started by Bulldog69, October 27, 2014, 08:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog69

My car had no lock when I bought it, so I bought one through classic industries and the only way that it fit in the tail panel with the lugs made it so that the key is upside down ( with the teeth up). Is this right or did I get a bogus lock?

Dino

You're good, it's supposed to be teeth up just like the ignition switch and door locks.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Bulldog69

Sweet, thanks man. That would have been next- car wasn't running and had no keys so I bought all of those!  Haven't made it up front yet. Just got tired of opening the trunk with screwdriver.

Dino

Yeah that gets old fast.   :lol:

Good luck with your car, don't hesitate to ask questions, we're here to help.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

fy469rtse

? can i ask if anyone knows why dodge has is it so keys go in up side down

Ghoste

I don't know but they started it a long time ago.  To be distinctive maybe?

daytona71

The reason for the keys being inserted with the cuts(teeth) up is that the corresponding pins in the lock may not get any dirt/debris into them. Any dirt would stay in the bottom of the keyway. It may not have been Mopars  sole idea to invert the locks, but it does make some sense.

ODZKing

Quote from: daytona71 on October 29, 2014, 09:42:16 PM
The reason for the keys being inserted with the cuts(teeth) up is that the corresponding pins in the lock may not get any dirt/debris into them. Any dirt would stay in the bottom of the keyway. It may not have been Mopars  sole idea to invert the locks, but it does make some sense.
Locksmith told me the exact same thing.  Always install house locks, etc with teeth up to avoid issues with dirt.   :2thumbs:
Once again, Chrysler ahead of their time and GM backward as always.  :lol: