News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

thinking of switching from the column to the floor

Started by hardtb, October 29, 2014, 07:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardtb

i just got my 69' charger an im thinking of switching it from a column shift to a console. are there consoles out there for sale? what are your thoughts on doing this... good idea or bad idea, why? how hard is it to do?

Dino

You can buy the consoles new or used.  To mount it you'll need the brackets that are welded to the floor tunnel, including shifter bracket, and the shifter and mechanism itself of course.  The steering column sleeve can be removed I suppose but it may be easier to just install a floor shift column.

When you have all the parts it's just a matter of doing some welding and bolting.

Good idea or bad does not matter here, the question is what do you want?  My 69 is a console shift, my 68 was a column shift with buddy seat.  I liked both but always wanted a console when I didn't have it.  Now that I do, I really wouldn't care all that much either way.  Either configuration works for me.  In fact, it's a manual I want now.   :icon_smile_big:

I like the console for the extra storage space and the courtesy lights, but the fake wood grain makes it look cheap  Some people don't like the column shifter because it doesn't seem performance enough, although when it's on the floor it's still an automatic so that's pretty much the same to me.

Do what you want to do, it's your car.  It's also reversible if you feel it was a mistake to do so later on so don't sweat it too much.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

keith88

I put a B&M hammer shifter in mine  little bit of work but works great and looks good and can be put in with no welding anything on. I plan on adding a console to it this summer not sure if it will end up being stock kind or not.

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.