News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wrapped Headers Material

Started by JMF, October 14, 2014, 01:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Anyone know what the wrap on these headers would be made of ?

HPP

Most wraps are made of fiberglass, graphite, and/or pumice in varying percentages.

JMF

polywideblock

if its vintage it could be asbestos   :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Dino

Quote from: polywideblock on October 16, 2014, 12:22:40 PM
if its vintage it could be asbestos   :Twocents:

If it's vintage is probably is althoug I'm not sure when tey discontinued using it.  Early 70's it was still in use.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

oldcarnut

I have some of the wrap left over from wrapping a set of headers.  The headers were new and had good high temp header paint on them.  When I took the wrap off a short time later there was a coat of rust all over where the wrap was.  Kept things a little cooler in the bay but accelerated the demise of the header. I had heard about the wrap messing up the headers but I got to see it first hand   :eek2:. Any oil or liquids that get spilled onto or dripped in the wrap gets soaked into it until it heats/boils out.  Something to consider if your going to do it.

HPP

Yeah, I'd never wrap a set of street headers just because of the range of conditions they may experience. Race headers are another story, plus, you can very well consider a header set as a consumable, depending on the racing you are doing.

Obviously the best answer would be to Jet Hot them or use some other brand name thermal ceramic coating. Second alternative could be to check with local/regional powder coat shops and see if any of them can do thermal barrier coatings. Do not use regular powder coating. There are a number of compounds that can be sprayed on, baked to cure, and will last longer than paint but aren't quite as good as real Jet Hot. If you are really bucks down, you can sandblast and coat yourself. Again, better than paint, but will probably will wear thin after a few years to half a decade of use.

JMF

I haven't bought the car yet, I think the wrap was installed about 10 years ago when the engine was rebuilt