News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Marks Performance Engines.... Anyone???

Started by MxRacer855, October 06, 2014, 09:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

Hey guys,

I wanted to buy a new, crate motor for my '68 in the Spring. Like anything else, I understand that questions pertaining to motor reliability and performance are extremely relative to each everyone's experience. Hence the old say'n, "You can ask a thousand different questions and get a thousand and 1 different answers".
I wanted a crate motor in the 550-700hp range that is fairly reliable and low maintenance (low maintenance relative to race gas drag setups). Anyway, I came across these eBay ad a dozen times and thought I found a winner after I spoke with a tech at the company about a Mopar big block 512ci 695hp crate motor.
After I researched a little bit more, I started to see lots of unfriendly reviews.....  :shruggy: :rotz:
Do any of you guys have any experience with this company or their products? How about CME?

Thanks
Jeff

MxRacer855

Challenger340

I have no experience with these engines, or this company whatsoever.

That said, and I am also NOT trying to sell you an engine.

I have my own complete Machine Shop, and I have been Machining, Building, and Dyno'ing performance & competition drag engines, mostly BB Mopars for 35 years.
I will say only this....
at OUR shop, to OUR standards for machining & parts, so we can maintain OUR reputation and many happy repeat customers.... we could NOT even begin to contemplate building 695hp for that kind of money, I guess we are idiots ?
But it is also why, we have a standing shop policy that we politely "decline" allowing anyone who does purchase these "type" of Engines, to later bring them to us for repairs or upgrade ?....  and believe me here.... we get LOTS of calls from people wanting to who have purchased similar "deals" !
simply no point !
been there, seen this, done that before.
By the time we go back in.... and re-machine and re-do things properly.... it costs more than if we just started from scratch.

Maybe CME have found the "magic" to be able to do so ?... and still EAT ? so good for them  :2thumbs: I don't know ?
just sayĆ­n.... we certainly can't, not and still pay good people and keep the lights on ?

My best advice....
if you wish to purchase one... tell them you will be flying in for the Dyno-session on the exact particular engine that you will be purchasing, and at the end of the day, once the 695hp is proven, and the Engine has completed an 8 hr beat down and tuning.... to YOUR satisfaction...and running perfectly, you will be buying it.
NOTHING leaves OUR Shop, or gets PAID for...  until it is Dyno'd in the Customers presence... to THEIR satisfaction... simply because we don't want anything leaving until it is up to OUR standards.
So,
I don't see why CME would not want anything out there just as good for THEIR reputation ?
and they should be more then happy to complete your Dyno request in your presence for a reasonable Fee... which is good money spent & received both ways !... and IMO... just good business !

Good luck in your new Engine purchase.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Too many red flags in that ad. Run away, run away fast.

69wannabe

tan top

google  marks performance engines !   not good  :down:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

polywideblock

don't know about  marks performance engines  but  I know CME has been mentioned in the mopar mags whenever  they do story's about "crate " engines , in the DEC issue of MM they have again been included in the story " mopar crate engine guide "   .

I've been thinking about their 522 /500 "daily driver " crate   :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

MxRacer855

Quote from: polywideblock on October 08, 2014, 12:23:44 PM
  don't know about  marks performance engines  but  I know CME has been mentioned in the mopar mags whenever  they do story's about "crate " engines , in the DEC issue of MM they have again been included in the story " mopar crate engine guide "   .

I've been thinking about their 522 /500 "daily driver " crate   :scratchchin:

Thanks for all of the info guys! I apologize for the delayed response. I have read everyone's posts thoroughly and couldn't appreciate it more. It did seem too good to be true. After further searching for reviews on them, all that returned was chilling stories. CME sounds like a reliable company to go with for a "non-track" motor. I also was looking at that same crate Poly. I think they have another one that puts out 550hp for just over 7K

How about Indy? They certainly seem like a prominent, well established company. They have a motor listed in Mopar Magazine under their "Wedge" section that I found rather appealing. It's a 500ci/600hp crate for 10K. Anyone have any advice on that company. Outside of private builders with reputable names (which I completely open to), Indy Cylinder Heads and CME seem to be the two company's that I'm bouncing between.

Jeff

Dino

A reputable engine builder gave some solid information in this very thread, I'd pm him and start a conversation.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1974dodgecharger

Buy an engine from challenger340 and call it good......firefighter makes engines too....

Challenger340

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 08, 2014, 10:48:51 PM
Buy an engine from challenger340 and call it good......firefighter makes engines too....

Thanks for the kind words... but sorry, we simply can't help.
to explain further....
By October of every year, we are just too full up with work for the winter to accept any new builds, and no point taking orders we can't fulfill in a reasonable timeframe, so we just apologize and decline, which really isn't very nice.... but that's all we can do ?

NOT trying to be a dick....
But.... there are only 2 of us... one old fart and one 40 yr old... we do everything start to finish.... front to back... top to bottom, NOT going to go cutting corners, or go "rushing" anything, just the way it is, but when it's DONE, we are both very proud of the final product !
nonetheless....
We get down 10 or 12 builds ? .... we don't see the sun again until well into next spring !   

rt green

get your name on a spot for next year, and work on the rest of the car this winter. sounds like it would be worth it.
third string oil changer

myk

There has to be at least ONE reputable engine builder within a hundred miles of you that can give you what you need including peace of mind.  Maybe I'm just too old fashioned, but with a big purchase like that I need to be able to see and talk with the vendor before a single cent leaves my wallet.  A live dyno test and show wouldn't hurt either...

charger1972

The best builders are gonna all ways be busy . The guy that built mine ,Competition Wedge Engines , is one guy and a part time helper . Same as challenger340 , he is in high demand . I lucked out cause he had a short block that someone had him build and changed directions and wanted something else .  Other wise I would probably be just getting my engine together now .

Challenger340

Quote from: charger1972 on October 10, 2014, 09:45:52 PM
The best builders are gonna all ways be busy . The guy that built mine ,Competition Wedge Engines , is one guy and a part time helper . Same as challenger340 , he is in high demand . I lucked out cause he had a short block that someone had him build and changed directions and wanted something else .  Other wise I would probably be just getting my engine together now .

You know, kinda funny you mentioned how you got yours ?... because more than a few times over the last couple of years, that is EXACTLY how most "new" customers we get acquainted with here... get in the door in a decent timeframe ?
Somebody goes another direction..... and presto there is an Engine "available", or the damn fine makings of one ?
Stuff doesn't last long.....
Even the brackets drag race guys "freshening" their engines here after a few seasons, then stepping up ? I have one 650hp 440 Wedge we have been servicing now for 14 years, now on it's 3 rd owner ! We still see it back about every 3 years, re-hone, file up a few rings, away it goes again.

just say'in
I know the op is just looking for a pump gas "street" Engine, but might not hurt to "beat the bushes" with a few local mopar shops in his area, establish contact, see what happens ?

off topic: RANT !
it works in reverse as well !
I got one guy who has been Drag Racing my Engine stuff for going on 25 years now..... he does very well here in Div 6 NHRA.
THAT guy has never gave me nickel one "directly" in the same 25 years!!
Kinda pisses me off ?
He just goes out and buys our pieces 2nd hand, him and his buddy freshen it themselves. He will even go so far as to purchase one of our old shortblocks one place, then track down the original Ported Heads that were on it at one point in it's history from somewhere else and buy them... same Cam, yada, yada, screw it all back together as "their" Engine... which I guess it is ?
The same guy will call every few years... most recently last month about getting a HEMI done... ask a bunch of questions, picks my brain, which I usually answer given he wants to "build" and doesn't mind waiting(or so he says), then I never hear from him again !
Oh well.... one of these days !

charger1972

This site is how I found that builder . Total luck he had what i was after , or part of it . That sucks they run your stuff and you don't see anything for it , but just goes to show how good your work is .

MxRacer855

Hey guys, I'm sorry for the late response. I thought I replied to this thread already.
I couldn't appreciate everyone's input and advice more. Challenger340, it sounds like you have an outstanding reputation that is going to continue to keep you busy building high quality motors for as long as you want to. There's no doubt that I would venture your route if you weren't so backed up from tons of work.
It was nice to know that the age old expression "If it's too good to be true, it most likely is" still holds up. That motor seemed awfully cheap for what they were claiming it put out, not to mention the high quality they said it had.

Jeff