News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shift T Handles

Started by Judhudson, March 21, 2006, 07:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judhudson

I did a search on google and yet to come up with anything.  I don't want to go all ricer on everybody here, but I'd like to know if they make T handles that has a light built in them for my 73 Charger.  Do they make aftermarket ones that will fit my original shifter?

Ghoste

I think you'll have to fab up something on your own for anything but stock.  I don't even recall anything like that from back when these cars were younger so I don't think you'll turn up much at swap meets either.

Judhudson

Okay.  It's either that or I'm going to have to rig up some sort of extra light on the console.  I replaced the bulb on the console gear indicator, and it barely even shines.  In fact, it doesn't even look like it is on at night - but it is working.  I'm not sure what to do about that, but most of the lights I see that are extra are those wacky LED lights.  I really don't want any LED lights in my car, but if it helps me see the gear indicator, then I guess that's what is going to be.

Charger1973

I have mine apart right now and its really not too hard to get the whole slapstick set up out.  (you dont need to take it completely out though just to get the top plate off).  Maybe its just dirty inside the lens or your light bulb is burned out?  Once you take out the console its pretty easy access, you could even wire in a brighter bulb if you wanted.  I also think you could pull the green lens out of the inside of there and it would be brighter too.   

golden73

Quote from: Judhudson on March 27, 2006, 06:47:34 AM
Okay.  It's either that or I'm going to have to rig up some sort of extra light on the console.  I replaced the bulb on the console gear indicator, and it barely even shines.  In fact, it doesn't even look like it is on at night - but it is working.  I'm not sure what to do about that, but most of the lights I see that are extra are those wacky LED lights.  I really don't want any LED lights in my car, but if it helps me see the gear indicator, then I guess that's what is going to be.

Check to see if you have a good ground... that would affect the brightness of the bulb.

Nacho-RT74

Is he talking about a T handle with Light or to a light to the shifter lettering ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

If you are talking about the light in the shift indicator, that's a different thing than what I thought you meant.  Although I'm not aware of any ready made aftermarket part, if your main concern is getting the indicator easier to read at night, you should be able to get it done.
Start with the suggestions above.  Clean the lens, check the bulb that it's the proper type and well grounded, in good shape and so on.  Then you may have to look at ways to put a brighter bulb in if a good cleaning doesn't work.

Judhudson

Okay, I'm going to take it out again and clean the lenses.  I should be getting good ground, but I'll clean the metal part too where it is being ground.  If it doesn't work, I'll just wire another light near there.  Unforunately I'll have to tackle it about next week since I'm currently replacing Ball Joints which is a pain :cussing:

Ghoste

Not to mention a little more important.  ;)

Nacho-RT74

check if you have power on orange wire when turn on cluster lights. You can have wire unplugged somewhere or maybe wire broken.

That wire is two sectons: from bulb up to passenger side kick panel area with spade terminals, and from there up to A/C controls area, where is a triple bullet kind plug female where plugs all accesories lightning stuff on underdash ( rr deffog, Ram Hood, etc... ). One of the holes must be busy with the shifter light wire.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html