News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd Gen discovery

Started by nh_mopar_fan, March 21, 2006, 04:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nh_mopar_fan

One of the guys in the EVBC, Early Valiant Barrcuda Club, came across this 68 in what appears to be an abandoned yard in his town.

For the registry: VIN# XP29G8B119757

383, 4 speed car.

I can get the location if anyone is interested.

nh_mopar_fan

Oh, front fenders are gone. Engine is still in the car.

nh_mopar_fan

One more....

The Ghoul

sure, i need another lawn sculpture  :icon_smile_big:
serriously tho, im intrested in any intirror bits and glass still on the thing  :icon_smile_big:

Old Moparz

Looks like a decent parts supply if it's cheap. Too much work for me these days though.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

The Ghoul

terrible one

'68 383 4 spd...

someone better jump on this! would be a hard one to bring back though...wonder how the frame is

Blown70

A LOT OF GOOD PARTS THERE//// WOW most of that stuff is robbed right away :o

Tom

Skyview69

Are the pedals for sale??

LivedodgeItaly

..parts car, what a pity!!
             Andrea

PocketThunder

Quote from: LivedodgeItaly on March 21, 2006, 04:51:33 PM
..parts car, what a pity!!
             Andrea

No way Jose.  i just brought one back from the dead in way worse shape than that..   and i just sold a set of 68 fenders too!  shucks!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

694spdRT

Another of the rare '68 383 4 speed cars. Hope someone can rescue it.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

terrible one

someone should. it will be kind of hard to get it i assume, seeing that the yard is abandoned

694spdRT

There should still be a recorded owner of the property even if the yard is no longer running.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

MGBRingo

Looks like a Mustang convertible right in front of it.

tan top

didn't they only  make  less than 300  ,4 speed 68 ,383's . sad sight when you see a charger looking  like that :cryin: looks  :scope:  like a lot of good stuff still on it though . try to find the yard owner.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

terrible one

Quote from: tan top on March 21, 2006, 06:16:42 PM
didn't they only  make  less than 300  ,4 speed 68 ,383's . sad sight when you see a charger looking  like that :cryin: looks  :scope:  like a lot of good stuff still on it though . try to find the yard owner.

tan top

Quote from: terrible one on March 21, 2006, 06:19:22 PM
Quote from: tan top on March 21, 2006, 06:16:42 PM
didn't they only make less than 300 ,4 speed 68 ,383's . sad sight when you see a charger looking like that :cryin: looks :scope: like a lot of good stuff still on it though . try to find the yard owner.

is that all 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TruckDriver

To find out who the owner of the land is, all you have to do is go to the town office and ask. That car ain't in Wisconsin by chance is it?
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Dennis K

According to the VIN, it's a 383 2bbl car, and I don't see anything that looks like a factory 4-speed floor, so I'm betting it was converted to a 4-speed. Lots of good parts, but unfortunately probably not saveable.

69charger2002

that would be really cool if it was 1 of the 74 2 barrel cars. i'm recording the VIN just in case it's legit.. looks like it had a console too
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Dennis K

Yes, it's a 383 2bbl car, but the point I was trying to make is that it's probably not a factory 4-speed car.

dkn1997

forget asking, just drag it out and take it.  who is going to say anything.   part it out and be done with it.  whoeve owns that property and let it go to shit does not deserve to own i :flame:
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

It looks like it can be saved, need to see the frame to determine
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Quote from: Dennis K on March 21, 2006, 06:39:21 PM
According to the VIN, it's a 383 2bbl car, and I don't see anything that looks like a factory 4-speed floor, so I'm betting it was converted to a 4-speed. Lots of good parts, but unfortunately probably not saveable.

It's hard to tell by that picture whether it's got the hump or not. If the fender tag is still there that would help solve the mystery.

Silver R/T

My r/t was found in much worse condition, and Im working on it. This car should be saved IMO. I wouldnt mind getting it if it was closer
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

nh_mopar_fan

I believe the car is in CT. Here is what else he had to say:

"I did find a couple 1966 Valiants, 1 1965 Barracuda,
Fenders
for a 65 Valiant/ Barracuda just sitting in the back of an old 1930's
pick up truck. A pair of 1967/1968 Barracuda coupes & many, many 1964/
1968 mustangs, some convertibles. Camaros & T-birds of all years.
Pontiac Tempests & GTOs.  Many cars from the 30's, 40's ,& 50's.  Some
in restorable condition...."

terrible one

The VIN won't show whether it's a 4 spd or not. Someone should go out there and look for the fender tag and buildsheet.

PocketThunder

Quote from: terrible one on March 22, 2006, 09:10:16 AM
The VIN won't show whether it's a 4 spd or not. Someone should go out there and look for the fender tag and buildsheet.

:yesnod:

Quote from: bull on March 22, 2006, 12:33:54 AM
Quote from: Dennis K on March 21, 2006, 06:39:21 PM

It's hard to tell by that picture whether it's got the hump or not. If the fender tag is still there that would help solve the mystery.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

tin_soldier

Dude I am in CT where is it at???  Has anyone spoken for it??  If not send me the address.  I will go check it out  :yesnod:

squeakfinder

The passenger side quarter has a seem where the vinyl top trim goes. I've seen one other car like that before. A quarter panel replacement from many year ago?
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Charger_Fan

Quote from: rotsparts on March 22, 2006, 12:07:54 PM
The passenger side quarter has a seem where the vinyl top trim goes. I've seen one other car like that before. A quarter panel replacement from many year ago?
It looks to me that it's the rotted remains of vinyl there, still stuck there from when someone snagged the piece of trim.
Poor Charger. :-[

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

nh_mopar_fan

I've sent him mail to see if he can give me the location.

JimShine

I can get it if nobody has spoken for it yet. It would take a long time to go through, but I can atleast get it out of the elements and start working on it in my free time.

My dad is in CT, I am just up in Maine. I can make a weekend trip out of it and see my old man at the same time.

squeakfinder

I think you'll be everybody on this site's hero if you can pull it off Jim Shine. Good Luck!
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

terrible one

Quote from: JimShine on March 22, 2006, 06:49:25 PM
I can get it if nobody has spoken for it yet. It would take a long time to go through, but I can atleast get it out of the elements and start working on it in my free time.

My dad is in CT, I am just up in Maine. I can make a weekend trip out of it and see my old man at the same time.

Go for it Jim! That would be awesome. Even better if the tag indicates its a factory 4 spd car. I wonder if it's readable.

JimShine

Even if it isn't a stock 4 speed, it wouldn't change much in my eyes, but I guess it would be a nice bonus. Let me know what the status is.

nh_mopar_fan

Question from the guy that found the car:

"I'm going back to the Junk Yard next week to take more pictures & poke
around a little more. I want to see how bad the rust is, maybe look for
the broadcast sheet (I doubt its still there), and really see if it's
feasible to pull this car back from the dead.

Anything I should look for in particular on this model other than the
obvious?"

Someone has told him that he can get $1500 for it on Ebay.....  :rotz:

terrible one

Lets hope it doesn't go on Ebay...if someone here could rescue it it would be cool.

I know this falls under "the obvious" but he should check for the fender tag and if it's there take a picture.

JimShine

SuBLimE 69

That car has been sitting for a long time.  Up north too !  I'd be scared it would break in half trying to put her onto a trailer.....but I quess that would make it easier to fit in my garage !  :icon_smile_big:  I hate to see them rot like that, I hope some gets it and brings it back to life.

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

mally69

sombody restore this thing please yea its going to cost money but if you restore it correctly it will double that in a bout 10 years  hell any 68-70 charger price is doing nuthing but going up thats all it can do is go UP

parting it out in  my opinoin is just a waste yea youll get some fast cash but if it is RESTORED youll get ALOT more in the long run

JimShine

I am still interested, to save a Charger, not to make a buck. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but my cars are pure hobby.

terrible one

Quote from: JimShine on March 23, 2006, 11:07:27 PM
I am still interested, to save a Charger, not to make a buck. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but my cars are pure hobby.

Right on. Either way, it would be a cool car. Hope you can work something out Jim

mally69

hemihead

Looks like Crusher Bait!
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

moparsinbarns

Somebody NEEDS to go save this one. If I was u, just take a chain and a truck and drag it out of there, who cares if the owner notices if its gone. He probally wouldnt even care anyways. ^-^ :yesnod:
Mopar Or No Car!!!!!!!!

limey

A couple of you guys should get together and pull it out....imagine what a fantastic thread saga that could be?

Or if everyone chipped in with parts and or time, it could be a board resto project... ;D ;D

Take plenty of video from day one, then sell it all to discovery channel.... :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

I can just see it...

(voice over)
"one cold March, a four guys, representatives of a worldwide groupe of enthusiasts drove out to rescue a classic Mopar from beyond the grave...."

Just don't ask Chip Foose along for the ride....it would end up with a bodykit and bling rims with spinners... ::)
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

terrible one

Any updates here? It definitly needs to be rescued...and then NOT Ebay'd :yesnod:

mustanghater

I'd love to have it but I don't have the space.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

nh_mopar_fan

He's not responding to my mail. He may not have had an opportunity to get back to it. He may be thinking of the ebay route. Don't know. I will keep you updated.

nh_mopar_fan

Here is your update.

I went back to the Charger in the junk yard. The Fender tag is
mostly rotted away but I was able to get some more info from it. Below
is all the info I have on the car. If this is a car of interest & you
know someone who is interested in the car, I will look into retrieving
the car.

VIN number - XP29G8B119757

1968 Dodge Charger
2 Dr Sport Coupe
383 2bbl, V8, 290 hp
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI

Fender tag - incomplete

CAR: Unknown Make and Model.
ENGINE: Unknown Engine code.
TRANSMISSION: Unknown transmission code
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: Unknown build date
AXLE: Unknown Axle Code
INTERIOR: Charger Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Green Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Racing Green metallic Paint.
OTHER:

MOLDINGS:

ABC OPTIONS:
R1: AM Radio
T7: Tachometer
Y4: Green Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror

Observations

8 3/4 rear, factory 4 speed trans
P/S, P/B, Ft Drum brakes, Vinyl top, ft bucket seats

The car is missing the front fenders, grille, all front body parts
(except the hood), the windshield and the rear seat.

All body panels need repair or replacement. The trunk floor & trunk
extensions are rotted. The front frame rails where the upper control
arms mount are good. The interior floors seem to be mostly intact with
some rot.
The dash is rotted also. Engine, Transmission & rear axle are there.

JimShine

I am still interested. Worst case scenario is if it is a total rot case that can't be salvaged, I can use parts on my current '68 project. But it really would have to be bad to do that.

nh_mopar_fan

PM me your email address.

Crazy Larry

Quote from: limey on March 24, 2006, 02:05:47 PM

Just don't ask Chip Foose along for the ride....it would end up with a bodykit and bling rims with spinners... ::)

:haha: :smilielol:  :haha: :smilielol:  :haha: :smilielol:  :haha: :smilielol:  :haha: :smilielol:

Very true, my friend!

262chargers

Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 29, 2006, 12:51:40 PM

:haha: :smilielol:  :haha: :smilielol:  :haha: :smilielol:  :haha: :smilielol:  :haha: :smilielol:

Very true, my friend!

I'd rather see it get the "bling Foose treatment", as oppossed to having it rust the rest of the way into the ground.  :Twocents:

Crazy Larry

Quote from: 262chargers on March 29, 2006, 01:08:02 PM
Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 29, 2006, 12:51:40 PM

Very true, my friend!

I'd rather see it get the "bling Foose treatment", as oppossed to having it rust the rest of the way into the ground.  :Twocents:

Foose wouldn't touch this because it is too much work - so that option is very far out there. Foose only touches cars that shouldn't be touched - like that mint 1967 Dodge Charger he wrecked by giving it the Tupac once-over.
:rotz:

PocketThunder

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on March 29, 2006, 08:14:06 AM
Here is your update.

Observations

The car is missing the front fenders, grille, all front body parts
(except the hood), the windshield and the rear seat.

All body panels need repair or replacement. The trunk floor & trunk
extensions are rotted. The front frame rails where the upper control
arms mount are good. The interior floors seem to be mostly intact with
some rot.
The dash is rotted also. Engine, Transmission & rear axle are there.

Sounds like a basket case to me.

dkn1997

nobody is bringing that thing back from the dead.  part it already.  looks like some decent stuff on it.
RECHRGED

Brock Samson

Now THAT would be an intervention!  :yesnod:

Mike DC

It's a borderline car.  It would look a lot more buildable if it was complete, or if the missing used body parts were cheap/common enough to complete it for less than the price of several more cars. 

So, therefore it becomes yet another car we're losing because they don't make enough repro sheetmetal & parts for Chargers. 

MoparMotel

Did someone end up getting this car?
1968 Dodge Charger

JimShine

My emails to the finder have gone unanswered. I gave up hope about a month ago.

charge-it

I`ll go pick it up whenever it is convienient to the person that owns it.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

John G

Jim, it would be good to at least have a record of this car for your site. It'll help keep count of how many of the 74 are out there.

Thanks John G

JimShine

Yes, it sure does help.

Nobody owns the car as far as I know. The guy who found it is not on this board. I would have been down there to pick it up on the spot, but the finder has yet to return my emails. I am not sure if the guy is too busy to talk to me, if he gave it to someone else, or if the cars are no longer available. I have no idea. But I still would like to get this car. I just don't see it happening.