News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Texas State Inspectors

Started by familymopar, October 14, 2014, 05:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

familymopar

Are there any Texas State Inspectors on this site I can ask a question to?  I can not seem to get a straight answer.  If anyone else knows the answer to this for sure please chime in, any help appreciated.

Here is the question:

If I were to register a vehicle as an antique in Texas, what does the initial inspection consist of?

I have read through, repeatedly, the statutes and codes and am familiar with the difference in classic and antique, the restrictions and the requirements.  I simply need to know what that one initial inspection, the only one required to have an antique vehicle, will consist of.  Specifically, if a car is "safe to drive" in an exhibition sense, but lacks operable wipers, will I be able to get the initial inspection required for antique registration?

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

charge69

Chuck,

When I registered my Charger as an antique vehicle last year there was no inspection requirement for it to be so.  The only requirement was it had to be at least 25 year old!  I think I paid around $70.00 for a 5-year registration.  No yearly inspections and no initial inspection required! There are restrictions to how much you can drive it (no daily-drivers) but I do not think I have ever heard of someone getting stopped or hassled for driving your car on occasion.

On mine, you can clearly see it is good until March 2018!

lukedukem

He's right for the most part chuck. I used to be a texas state inspector many years ago. But remember that the antique plates only alow you to drive to shows or home. And to get mechanical work done to it. That's it. You can drive it on occasion but take the chance of getting hassled. I was also looking to get these. But I drive mine every weekend at least once and being the only 69 charger And my luck, I'd get hassled.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

charge69

You can also drive it on "test drives" before and after having work done on it. These cars seem to always need "something" done to them !! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

familymopar

Thanks guys.  I think I found what I was looking for.

When I was registering my Charger I was deciding between antique and classic plates so I did all the research then,  I was told at the tax assessors that I needed an initial inspection even for antique plates.  I knew I looked it up and found that there was something correct about what they were saying but couldn't recall specifically.  I wanted the classic plates anyway as I drive the Charger a lot and while I don't mind the "show, parade' exhibition" requirements because they are a loophole so big you can drive a B body through it, I worry that officers do not know the antique plate rules so I prefer a yearly inspection to the constant hassle with law enforcement.

Anyway, I am looking at starting to build a predominantly track car out of either an A body or a Sweptline.  Most of the vehicles I am looking at are not going to pass inspection, and I don't want to have to make them.  At the same time though, I would like the ability to test drive the build on the road and drive it back and forth to the track.

So here is the answer to my own question.  I was talking about a form VI-30.  This is done by a state inspector but is only a vin check.  And it is only for bringing out of state vehicles in to Texas that have never been registered here.  I now remember having to do it on my Charger, in addition to the inspection as it is registered as a classic.

I have seen some info in forums that it also includes a very basic safety check, i.e. lights, brakes, wipers, but I do not believe that is the case.  They are only verifying the vin on the actual car.  That form then goes back to tax assessor and you can register.

So from what I can tell, I can buy an old A body or Swepty with no horn or wipers, take it in for a VI-30 inspection, register it as an antique, and be good to go with the ability to drive back and forth to the track (that's exhibition, right?!?!).  So that is my plan.

As an aside, as I have been trying to get clarification on this today I ran into a number of law enforcement blogs/forums.  It seems to be the general consensus that they believe that a car with antique plates can only be trailered to and from shows and events.  Besides the fact that this makes no sense it is also clearly incorrect in the statutes.  But as a heads up, they definitely think so.

Thanks for the help guys.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

ws23rt

I completely understand the desire to comply with the regulations. It is our duty. The regulations are there for the better good/revenue. :icon_smile_wink:
We are safer and more financially secure because of these regulations. :smilielol:
We should feel gratified that we are not required to install air bags and the like to drive on the roads.
It's up to us--the voters--what our lives will be like forward from here. :Twocents:

hemi68charger

I registered my car as a antique and got a tag and a 5 year "pass".....  :icon_smile_big:  One doesn't have to do the annual safety inspections any more............. I just renew it.......... I do believe since I have vintage '69 tags on my car, I get the decal and plate. If not, I believe one gets the plate Carl has on his R6 Charger pictured......  My problem initially was no all the county tax offices knew what I was talking about. But, I believe it has gotten better.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparnation74

There is no inspection with antique plates.

moparnation74

Quote from: charge69 on October 14, 2014, 07:15:53 PM
You can also drive it on "test drives" before and after having work done on it. These cars seem to always need "something" done to them !! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
Correct!

charge69

Also, when I got my antique plate, my Charger, although it was still registered to me, had dropped out of the system since I had last registered it in 1982. The kind and helping lady had to enter my Charger back into the system (luckily, I had my Texas title and last registration receipt with me) and wait about 2 days for the records of it to be there and brought up to date.
I went back to see the same lady (At the courthouse just off Cypresswood and Steubner-Airline) a couple of days later and it was a breeze.

familymopar

Carl, in my experience you got lucky at the Cypresswood tax assessor.  Getting my 68 title and classic plates registered there was a nightmare.  I think again though that that was largely because it came from out of state.  They sent me to the DMV off Washington, the DMV sent me back to Cypresswood, and that happened about 3 times.  (For you non-Houston readers, that is a very long drive).  Finally I had the DMV lady write me a note telling the tax assessor she was wrong, told her to stay right there, ran back to the assessor, had the assessor call the lady at the DMV.  Then they agreed that the DMV has no authority over the assessor and I had them call Austin while I stood there.  In the end it got done, but it took me a year to get the Charger titled at all.  But that was all based on the trouble of having bought a car from a "dealer" out of state who signed the title over without having re-titled it to himself and then sent the title direct to me instead of the state.  It was a mess.  But a year later I got it titled with exactly what I had the first time I walked in, only they refused to waive the penalties for having waited so long to title it, which of course I didn't wait they just would not let me title it.  It was a circus.

In any event, none of that has to do with this thread really, I was wondering about the VI-30, which is just a vin check by the state inspector.

So I think my plan is fine.  Buy a car that may not pass inspection, take it for the VI-30, title it as an antique, start work on it, and occasionally be able to drive it on the road.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

charge69

That sounds like a nightmare, Chuck!   What a circus!  Gotta think the title being in the name of the owner BEFORE you buying it from a dealer had something to do with it.  Mine was pretty straight forward. The Charger was still in my name and that my name was still on the last registration (1982).  They just had to re-enter it into the system, I guess.

Your idea about a play car and using antique plates to drive it to and from the track and around the area some would work as far as I can tell. I would advise buying from an individual with a title and is a Texas resident.  No real reason but, it would make things go smoother I would think.

Also, I think your calling the person who verifies the VIN a State Inspector is confusing to me. The person verifying the VIN would be a state trooper who works at the DMV, right? The DMV would provide the verification but the person doing it would be a State Trooper who happens to do VIN inspections among other things at the DMV. As far as I know, there is no job title that is a "State Inspector" that has the job of verifying VINs. If there is, I guess I learned something.

TXcharger70

I as well registered mine with antique plates. It is less of a hassle in my opinion. My excuse is when I do drive it turns in to an event or car show. I always draw attention where every I go and people what to stop me and ask questions :icon_smile_big:

HANDM

As far as I can tell from reading Wa St. DMV website, there is no inspection (which I know) permanent registration/ plate and no driving restrictions.....

familymopar

Carl, it is a state inspector who does the VI-30, which is a simple check to make sure the vin on the car matches the vin on the title.  I had to do it for my Charger and I just took it to my normal state inspection place.  There was no trooper involved.  A state inspector fills out the form which is in triplicate.  They keep one, they send one to the assessor, and give you one.  Maybe a trooper can do it as well, but I was advised to go to a state inspection place, and I did.

There is no doubt that the trouble with mine was the title being in the last owner's name before the dealer combined with it being an out of state dealer.  Dealers don't have to re-title and rarely do.  But when that dealer is out of state and sells into Texas, he is (apparently) required to file the title and paperwork with the Texas DMV, not send directly to you.  That was the basis of the problem.  They insisted to me that because I had been sent the title that I now had to get a bonded title.  That is what I was trying to avoid and it was nonsense. 

I think you are right that buying from the titled owner and within state saves a lot of hassle.  Either one of those two factors would save quite a bit of hassle.  But, you know, with these kinds of cars sometimes you take them where you can get them.

TXcharger70 I am not at all worried about the driving restrictions.  Rumor has it that the bill was written by a Texas state legislator that is a real hot rod buff and that is why the loopholes in the way it was written are so broad. Heck, I don't even think they should be called loopholes.   I can make just about any venture out on the road fit those restrictions.  And if I were stopped and given a problem that is why I would have a card in my wallet naming me the president of the Cypress Area Yellow 1968 Charger with Black Stripes Club.  Then everywhere I go is a club function to display the car and try to recruit new members.  Doubt it would ever get that far though, the driving restrictions are really a joke.  Like I said I only registered the Charger as a classic to avoid being pulled over all the time by misinformed officers.  On the next car it will be a risk I have to take.

HANDM I am sure that al the states are unique in the way they deal with classic/antique cars, although I think most places do have special rules to accommodate them.  Thanks for the info.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

charge69

OK, now it makes more sense.  You were referring to a person who works at an inspection station as a state inspector!  The place I go to get my daily drivers inspected has mostly young guys working there that do the inspections.  I really never thought of them as "State Inspectors" !  Ha !

I have never had to fill out a VI-30 form and did not realize that inspection station personnel did this!  Learn something new every day!

Anyway, get your race-toy from a Texas resident with a clean title and register that bad-boy as an antique!  I have, personally, never known anyone hassled because of the plate!  If they stop you, it is probably because they want to look at the car!

familymopar

That is funny and I guess clears up the confusion!  The guy who does your inspections is a state licensed state inspector.

It will be pure luck to find what I am looking for in Texas but who knows.  Either way, I will NOT buy from an out of state "dealer" again as those rules between states is quite a hassle, at least if you are here.  To tell the truth I hated to buy the Charger from a dealer but it was the right car for the right price (somewhat anyway) and we had looked for a couple years to find just the one.  I'd do it all over again as it was worth every moment of hassle.

Looking for a 70-72 duster, 67-69 Barracuda, or 65-66 Sweptline (second run if a 65).  Looking for good body with most body work/suspension mostly done.  Motor and trans don't matter much as I am thinking I would like to do that myself.  I'll let you know what I find!

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

charge69

I'll let you know if I find anything also !!

moparnation74

Quote from: charge69 on October 15, 2014, 07:34:48 PM
OK, now it makes more sense.  You were referring to a person who works at an inspection station as a state inspector!  The place I go to get my daily drivers inspected has mostly young guys working there that do the inspections.  I really never thought of them as "State Inspectors" !  Ha !

I have never had to fill out a VI-30 form and did not realize that inspection station personnel did this!  Learn something new every day!

Anyway, get your race-toy from a Texas resident with a clean title and register that bad-boy as an antique!  I have, personally, never known anyone hassled because of the plate!  If they stop you, it is probably because they want to look at the car!
The VI-30 form is referred to in Texas as the "Green Form/sheet."  Any vehicle brought out of state into Texas has to get this done.  Very Very simple and any inspection station can perform this.

abe1968

I registered mine with antique 68 hemisfair plates and no inspection is required. I drove quite a bit to work and on the weekends. My buddy is SAPD and I asked if he would hassle drivers with antique tags and he replied, "No but if you do get pulled over, just tell them that your headed to a car club meeting or test driving after repairs".

moparnation74

Quote from: abe1968 on October 16, 2014, 11:17:58 AM
I registered mine with antique 68 hemisfair plates and no inspection is required. I drove quite a bit to work and on the weekends. My buddy is SAPD and I asked if he would hassle drivers with antique tags and he replied, "No but if you do get pulled over, just tell them that your headed to a car club meeting or test driving after repairs".
:iagree:
Correct, unless you do something stupid.  They will not bother you at all.  If they do just state what Abe relayed above.

I actually had a cop pull in behind me when I stopped in a parking lot to check something on my car.  I did not even notice him behind me.  He got out and said, "dont worry, I just want to check this car out!"  Very cool, officer and a car nut to boot!

Cooter

In Va,, (sure it works the same in Texas) the State Inspectors work for the State, not the shop owner, land owner shop is on, you, the customer, etc. This is why many think it's a hassle/racket/etc.
they are uninformed. Ignorant. And gullible. Say you have your kids strapped in their baby seats and something under car breaks/fails and injures your child......all of a sudden, those annual inspections don't seem so bad now do they? My son is an inspector in Texas and didn't realize how bad the public can be.
now, he has a whole new respect for those he took for granted and hassled when he had his Fox body.

No inspection on antique cars, as mAny times they aren't driven enough to wear out many things that are replaced/restored and very well maintained.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

familymopar

Quote from: moparnation74 on October 16, 2014, 11:28:36 AM
Quote from: abe1968 on October 16, 2014, 11:17:58 AM
:iagree:
Correct, unless you do something stupid.  They will not bother you at all.  If they do just state what Abe relayed above.

I actually had a cop pull in behind me when I stopped in a parking lot to check something on my car.  I did not even notice him behind me.  He got out and said, "dont worry, I just want to check this car out!"  Very cool, officer and a car nut to boot!

Yea I am not too worried about it.  Going anywhere with antique registration is always explainable.  In my experience, the majority of cops here do believe that an antique plate means it can only be trailered to an event, which is incorrect.  Nonetheless it is also my experience that they don't seem to care much, as I have not been hassled either.  Granted, I did not register as an antique, but in the year it took me to register the car I drove it with hemisfair plates, unregistered to anything, all over the place.  It did have an inspection sticker, but no registration.  Saw more cops behind, in front, to the side then I could count.  While it was unregistered I was actually stopped twice for a cop to check out the car. Well to be fair, one of those times I was broke down on the side of the road.  Cop stopped and we thought he was gonna help us push.  He said no, that he only wanted to check out the car, took a picture, and left.  Which was fine with me.

But I am not worried about any of that.  I just wanted to make sure that if I buy a car without wipers and such I would be able to title it without too much trouble.

Quote from: Cooter on October 16, 2014, 11:50:18 AM
In Va,, (sure it works the same in Texas) the State Inspectors work for the State, not the shop owner, land owner shop is on, you, the customer, etc. This is why many think it's a hassle/racket/etc.
they are uninformed. Ignorant. And gullible. Say you have your kids strapped in their baby seats and something under car breaks/fails and injures your child......all of a sudden, those annual inspections don't seem so bad now do they? My son is an inspector in Texas and didn't realize how bad the public can be.
now, he has a whole new respect for those he took for granted and hassled when he had his Fox body.

No inspection on antique cars, as mAny times they aren't driven enough to wear out many things that are replaced/restored and very well maintained.

I am pretty sure that in Texas the inspector works for the shop, not the State.  They are licensed and regulated by the State, but they are certainly not "employees" of the State.  Not too unlike a locksmith who must be licensed and regulated by the State, but does not work for the State.  No State benefits, no State paycheck, not a State employee.  Just heavily regulated.

I also don't think state inspections are a hassle, although I think the argument could be made that there is a "racket" perpetrated by the State in regards to inspections, but I don't think that has anything to do with inspectors, nor anything to do with what we are talking about here.  I also did not imply that inspectors were ignorant or uninformed.  My experience in Texas is quite the opposite.  The inspectors I have gone to always seem informed and helpful.  They don't always pass me, but that's not their fault.  Heck when I finally went back for that VI-30, I brought a copy of it and thought I was going to have to explain it.  Not at all.  They knew exactly what I needed and took care of it quickly.  I have no beef with state inspectors at all.    The people at the counters of the local tax assessor's office is a different story.  Trying to do anything slightly out of the ordinary with the bureaucrats there is a lot like trying to talk a brick into becoming a bowl of pudding.  Granted I am sure they deal with a lot of numbskulls too.  But that's hardly an excuse for what I have seen down there.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

moparnation74

Family,

Just move a little farther North, Lol

We would love to have you guys up here!

Justin

familymopar

Quote from: moparnation74 on October 16, 2014, 02:15:49 PM
Family,

Just move a little farther North, Lol

We would love to have you guys up here!

Justin

Aren't you in Dallas?  I don't know that I could do that.  And the wife would never let me.  Plus, you know, the cowboys.

But, do you happen to be going to the mopar / motley crue / gas monkey thing on 11/1?  I am registered but it is still up in the air as to whether I will actually make it or not.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8