News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Texas State Inspectors

Started by familymopar, October 14, 2014, 05:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnation74

I am not a Cowboy's fan, lol but I do understand what you mean.

A few of us were planning on going to that event.  It will mainly be new cars there and very little classics.  The issues with the event are:
1. The location of the restaurant is not that great
2. They want you to arrive early and keep your car there for the full event, probably ends at midnight
3. The 100.00 refund may not be cash, but redeemable for the event concessions
4. Traffic will be a nightmare after and will have to hang out later till it dies down.
Those are the reasons the classic owners are skeptical on going.

If you do come, you are welcome to at my place!

familymopar

Quote from: moparnation74 on October 16, 2014, 03:05:26 PM
I am not a Cowboy's fan, lol but I do understand what you mean.

A few of us were planning on going to that event.  It will mainly be new cars there and very little classics.  The issues with the event are:
1. The location of the restaurant is not that great
2. They want you to arrive early and keep your car there for the full event, probably ends at midnight
3. The 100.00 refund may not be cash, but redeemable for the event concessions
4. Traffic will be a nightmare after and will have to hang out later till it dies down.
Those are the reasons the classic owners are skeptical on going.

If you do come, you are welcome to at my place!

Man I appreciate the invite!

One of the modern clubs I belong to here, Space City LX, has a number of people caravanning up there.  I already paid the $100 to hold my spot and registered the 68.  I have no idea where the restaurant is but I suppose I had assumed it was not in too great of an area.  I don't mind staying late and arriving early as I don't have anything else to do around there.  They had BETTER hand me a $100 bill since that is what they are touting on all the videos and ads.  And I also would assume traffic would be horrible, although I am not sure how many people they are admitting to the event.  I thought it may be kind of small.

The problems I have are:

1) Obviously it is the morning after Halloween.  Between the 2 kids and the fact that Halloween is my wife and my anniversary, I do not know how I will feel about getting up early to make the 4 hour drive.

2) I have never taken the Charger on a 4 hour drive and back.  I have no reason to worry necessarily, but it's a long way to get stuck if something were to happen.  And I am still having the proportioning valve / brake pressure switch issue I had a thread on last weekend.

If you don't show up in the same car you registered it is no deal - no $100 no spot saved - is my impression.  I am thinking about sending them an email and seeing if I can also register my 09 Challenger as an either/or.  Then if the weather is bad or I don't have this brake thing ironed out I could still go.  Although, truth be told, if I am not taking the 68 my interest in going diminishes quite a bit since I agree with you that I don't think many classics are going to be there.  I can look at a bunch of Challengers in the HEB parking lot just fine.

I will keep you posted as to whether I am going, which I likely won't know until much closer.  Would be nice to meet though.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

moparnation74

Dont worry about your ride if you come.  If you run into any problems/issues here, I will be here to help in any way.  We have open and closed trailers, available and you can store your ride in my garage if needed.  Plus, plenty of tools available if needed.  

I believe if you show up in a different car then, yes,  you will lose the 100.00.  I am sure you can call them and change it prior, with no issues.

TexasStroker

The biggest perk to antique tags is the 5 Year Renewal and no inspection.  That said, it is not your 5 Years, but the state's.  So if you register now, you pay the full price and expire in March 2018 like those who renewed in 2013 etc.

The highlight of that, regardless of when you register is simply that your car isn't driven by someone around a crappy service station.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched my car nearly backed into by someone leaving the convenience store.  It is VERY HARD to find a good inspector.  Most decent shops got out of if years ago and we are left with the convenience store oil change places.  I've never had a single person know how to use my shifter in either car...And the fact that the inspector needs to move the seat/pedals/mirrors for a 10 second jog is ridiculous. 

It is a big liability imo...I really think they need to have the owner of the car stay in place, be walked thru what they want done, and just assume if the car drove to the station it would make the circle...

I also really like not having the front windshield tag with the county up front as well.  Take your car to another town for a show and guess who is most likely to get broke into...Yep, the guy/gal from the different county.

Antique is the way to go just to save yourself headache and hassle with inspectors.  I think someone at the state realized the demographic was super stringent with their own rides, probably checked fluids and bulbs before leaving the house, and knows they log minimal miles.

If you opt for standard tags be sure to find a good inspector who won't trash your ride.  They are still out there, just very hard to find.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

HANDM

Man, you guys really have to jump through some hoops!

Heck, I've even got collector plates on my beaten down, rusted out shitbox of a scout that barely crawls through the woods.....