News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 73' Charger will not crank..help....help please.

Started by BMOTOXSTAR, October 10, 2014, 10:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMOTOXSTAR

OK, here we go...help me please. :rotz:

My 73' Rallye Charger will not crank, nothing to the starter. I broke down a month ago at a car cruise & I had to run a lead to the positive of battery to the coil to get home.

It is dead at the ignition switch....I get the interior lights, horn, blower motor, radio, turn signals. No click even.The coil has power, starter is getting the volts, I pulled out the volt meter, power to the starter relay.

So, right before this happened I had an issues where the Charger would not stay in park, I would have to rock her. Then I could only start in neutral. I replaced the NSS so maybe the linkage is stopping it from starting?

I replaced the following...
Ignition Box
Ballast
Starter/Wires
Ignition Switch
NSS
Battery/wires
Starter Relay
Voltage Regulator
Has a new engine harness
Checked the bulk-head

Help, any would be appreciated. :2thumbs:

Nacho..where are ya' man?
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

ODZKing

Just because you put a neutral safety switch on and it may be "new" doesn't mean the switch was any good.
Just a thought.  :shruggy:

BMOTOXSTAR

I grounded the NSS wire at the starter relay and nothing...so I would think that the NSS not the problem? :shruggy: :eek2:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

flyinlow

I am confused. The starter is getting volts  but will not crank the engine ? You have battery voltage to both the large wire to the starter and the smaller wire that powers the starter solenoid.   That's easy ,the starter needs repair.

The large wire from the battery to the starter should be hot all the time. The smaller wire from the starter relay on the firewall to the solenoid is only hot during cranking... ignition switch to start and the car in park or neutral.

With the car in park jump across the starter relay terminals with a screwdriver and  the starter should crank the engine.

'74 cars had a seatbelt interlock, but your '73 should not.

A fellow '73 owner.

BMOTOXSTAR

Nope, brand new, not even 2 days old Starter.

I just did the big positive cable with the voltmeter & not the little wire....I will test the little wire with someone turning the key or me cranking it, have a hard time with my arthritis & crawling around with these damn' jack stands and floor jack. :RantExplode:

If I take a screw driver to the relay on the firewall it will make the starter work.

15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

moparnation74

Any adjustments done to your tranny linkage?  Sounds like it is out of adjustment.

BMOTOXSTAR

Well, the linkage is sloppy. It is the slap stik. How the hell do I adjust the linkage?
It looks like there is a side bolt and a top cotter pin on the shaft that make the shifter move on the tranny, is this where I adjust & how?
It is rusty down there...

I also did notice that I have to rock the car real hard forward for it to engage in park, will not start in N or P.  :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :shruggy: :eek2:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

John_Kunkel

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on October 10, 2014, 09:39:32 PM
I grounded the NSS wire at the starter relay and nothing...

That eliminates the NSS as the cause.

QuoteIf I take a screw driver to the relay on the firewall it will make the starter work.

That tells you the starter is working OK. Can you hear a click when you turn the switch to Start?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Nacho-RT74

Sorry it took so long. Being busy

ok.. first... do you get power at red wire ign switch down the column ?

then on IGN1 position ( run circuit ), do you get full 12 volts at blue and black wires ?

then on IGN2 position ( starting circuit ), do you get full 12 volts on yellow and brown wires ?

those are the first test.

If you are getting juice on yellow wire at starter relay ( which is the one coming from ign switch ), are you getting power from SOL terminal on starter relay when crancking ?

if not, you have a ground issue from NSS switch, or a bad starter relay

otherwise, is a starter motor problem or solenoid wire
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 11, 2014, 04:35:28 PM
Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on October 10, 2014, 09:39:32 PM
I grounded the NSS wire at the starter relay and nothing...

That eliminates the NSS as the cause.

QuoteIf I take a screw driver to the relay on the firewall it will make the starter work.

That tells you the starter is working OK. Can you hear a click when you turn the switch to Start?

Yep, I can hear the starter solenoid making a little click...that starter is brand new.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

John_Kunkel

There are two possible sources for a click, either the firewall starter relay or the starter solenoid...you eliminated the starter solenoid when you applied a screw driver to the relay on the firewall and the starter worked.

If you can hear/feel a click from the firewall relay and the starter won't turn, the relay is bad or the wiring from the relay to the starter is bad.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on October 12, 2014, 10:00:43 AM

Yep, I can hear the starter solenoid making a little click...that starter is brand new.

starter SOLENOID or starter RELAY ?

IF solenoid ( mounted on starter motor ) makes click ( loud ) but doesn't crank, is a starter motor fail... armature, fields, brushes or bushing. Yes I know you say is new :)

IF Relay, then solenoid wire or starter motor or solenoid fail.

diagnosis is pretty much simple... Dunno why is becoming hard LOL

if power at yellow wire at starter relay trying to crank, we know ign switch &/or cranking circuit is working correctly. If not, problem is on bulkhead, steering column plug or ign switch itself.

then you have to get ground from NSS on brown traced wire to close the circuit when cranking. If not ground there in P or N, posible NSS or wiring failure, or linkage adjustment

you can jump the GR prong to chassis to discard that, and try again with ign switch ( be sure is on P or N ). I think read you already did it.

then you can jump out the Ign prong with a jumper wire between stud and Ign prong to try to crank it from engine bay. If notresponse, it's a relay problem.

with a wrench or screw drive, short the big stud with SOL terminal ( will spark ), and starter motor must crank. If not, starter motor or solenoid problem.

That's pretty much all the testing procedure.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

BMOTOXSTAR

Nacho,
    No power at the hot wire for the starter on the solenoid, just at big hot cable, no click at all on starter.

I put in another new NSS.

The wires from the ignition switch to harness are getting power. New Ignition switch as well.

Starts when I jump at the starter relay & stays running nice. Lights turn on, etc, no dimming. The volt meter on dash is pegged all the way to the C though? :shruggy: Normal?

No power to the wire that goes from relay to the starter, has to be that relay? There is also what looks like another fuse-able link  there? :scratchchin:

I am going to order another starter relay, seems like the relay, please confirm Nacho.
Sounds like the click is at the coil & not the relay, relay seems dead. :rotz:

Yes, I am bad with instructions & I always make the project harder than it is.... :RantExplode: :eek2: :P
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Nacho-RT74

ok... if you jumped the starter RELAY between stud and SOL terminal and STARTER MOTOR cranked just fine, we discard the STARTER MOTOR OR ITS SOLENOID LOL. Its in working order

no fuse link on that wire. Only fuse link on all the car is the one between starter relay stud and cab

then you can ground to chassis the GROUND prong on starter RELAY, and try from ign key once again. If cranks up fine, fail comes from NSS or harness.

IF NOT, check yellow wire is getting power when trying to crank up. IF YES, then failing device is the relay... IF NOT, the fail comes from cranking circuit ( ign switch, ign plug, bulkhead ).

Note, you can get a combination of fails too LOL

John_Kunkel

Does anybody ever read the previous replies before posting?  :shruggy:

Nacho-RT74

yes, I did... some are confusing, so I explain step by step how to test it from the begining anyway LOL

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 20, 2014, 06:07:39 PM
yes, I did... some are confusing, so I explain step by step how to test it from the begining anyway LOL

Nacho, thanks for the help on this man. Yeah, I am having a rough time figuring this out. Thanks for walking me through. :cheers: :2thumbs:

So, I installed a new starter relay. No start. Just with jumping at the relay with a screwdriver.  :shruggy: :shruggy: :slap:

Like you have said Nacho, it has to be in the bulkhead ?
The wire to the solenoid looks great.

The only other thing I can think is that the key tumbler is worn? Any thoughts?
I get no power to the starter solenoid.

I am ready to make a fusable wire at the starter relay to a switch by the dash so I can start each time. :coolgleamA:

Yeah, I put 50 miles on Saturday having to jump at the relay for the time I had to shut down. It just sucks. :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BMOTOXSTAR

Thanks Nacho, it is hard being the only person where you live that has any knowledge of autos. My wife turns the key & holds the flashlight for me but other than that I am on my own except for the help I get here. So I thank you more than you know man. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 20, 2014, 06:07:39 PM
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Nacho-RT74

not a problem

so you changed the relay and still nothing.

ok, go with a test light and put it to the yellow wire running up to starter relay. Does it light up when trying to crank ?

if not, then you have just to trace the wire from there up to ign switch. It doesn't have any splice anywhere, is just one run from there up to ign switch. check on both sides of bulkhead, steering column plug

another test you can make... feed the yellow wire from inside the cab. fuseblock get two inserted prongs, one is batt the other one is acc. get a jumper wire from the batt prong to the steering column plug yellow wire. If does not crank, problem is mostly sure on bulkhead... if cranks up, problem is on ign switch... OR its plug

BMOTOXSTAR

OK, so that yellow wire on that steering column plug goes into the bulkhead behind the gauges, then from firewall to the relay the to the starter solenoid?

I hope I follow you here Nacho man. :yesnod:

Cause' I have that wire from the solenoid to the relay, that is not yellow. Man, thanks again. I will try this.

New ignition switch to man.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BMOTOXSTAR

OK, no power to that lower ignition switch wire on that relay.....when cranking to start.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on October 21, 2014, 11:06:20 PM
OK, so that yellow wire on that steering column plug goes into the bulkhead behind the gauges, then from firewall to the relay the to the starter solenoid?

yes

ok, you can unplug the steering column plug, and jump the red and yellow wires on undedash side ( male terminals )... should crank

BMOTOXSTAR

Nacho,  jumped them 2 wires & nothing., I swear I hear a click sound in the dash by the glove box..maybe ......

So, I almost have my gauge cluster out...there are a few not so good looking wires in there...I will update....this has to be the issue.....

When you would turn the key all the way to crank, it is like there is a huge draw on the current & that is why it will not start. One of these wires has to be the culprit. Man, it is a messy jungle in there....

The car has started & ran great for 10 years....now all of a sudden...

Time to make all the wires right & make sure all the buzzers, etc are connected properly...oh man... :-\ :rotz: :shruggy:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Nacho-RT74

My friend, IMHO EVERYTHING is pointing out to the bulkhead... burnt main alt-amm-batt wires. Nothing than Mopar owners don't know LOL

BMOTOXSTAR

Nacho,
  All the wires on the dash cluster look nice. The burnt was from the radio which was not connected...

So I trace the yellow wire from the ignition switch connector...into bulkhead under dash...to the outside of bulkhead by engine firewall...trace to the starter relay. The bulkhead and the wires going into look nice & are getting power on both sides.Even leading from bulkhead to the starter relay...

I did notice that the starter buzzer I think it is called wires are cut on the factory ignition switch plug & the piece that would go in by the ignition switch is not there. The car came to me like this and has ran for 10+ years for me....I don't know. :shruggy:

No power at the relay where the starter solenoid wire goes (the post that has the screw head with the connector that slides into it) . Looks like that wire has a fusable link. I cut it, run it with a fuse in the middle, back on relay. No power.
Run + straight to that wire, starts, turns car starts.Runs great actually....

That relay is getting no power at that stud. Brand new relay.
Could it be that the key cylinder is so worn that when it turns the last connection cannot be set? The key tumbler is loose and sloppy. I just don't know what to do. Power at the ignition switch plug, power at the bulkhead... :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

Would it really be a bad idea to run a toggle start from the relay + to the starter just so I can drive the car ?
It will turn off with the key & all the lights, accessories etc work great. Once it starts running the voltmeter does go to the middle as normal.

Nacho, I know this sounds so easy but WTF, I mean WTF !!! I must just have some horrible bad gremlin that lives in my dash. :P :brickwall: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT