News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

occasional backfire

Started by billschroeder5842, September 27, 2014, 05:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I get an occasional backfire through my carb on my smog monster.

My 400 with the factory Carter, occasionally backfires when I romp on it. This seems to happen at lower RPMs.

Currently the timing is set a 10btc, it pull as super steady 17hg and idles great at 750. It runs pretty smooth.

At higher rpms, the car seems to take everything I giver her.

Any idea?
Texas Proud!

Ghoste

billschroeder5842

Thanks-I see a sunday project in the making
Texas Proud!

billschroeder5842

Because the car seems to run so smooth,  I'd hate to mess with the rich/lean. I'm not sure which direction to turn the screws to make it more rich?

I noticed that I have the accelerator pump on the middle setting. Would it make a difference if I moved it to the setting that gave it the longest stroke (more of a shot)?

Would that help to eliminate the back fire?
Texas Proud!

Ghoste

Quite possibly.  :yesnod:
I'd try that first for sure.

A383Wing

back the mixture screws out (turn left) for a richer mixture...I would start with only 1/2 turn

c00nhunterjoe

Ive found that since the switch to eco friendly ethanol fuels, i had to up my jet sizes to mai tain the same performance as i ran on pre ethanol fuels. Try the accel pump adjustments 1st though.

Dino

You may need a bit more timing, your vacuum should be higher on that car as well.  Hook up a vacuum gauge and advance the distributor, see what she does.  Mine backfires occasionally when I retard the timing by a few degrees.

Make a note of how many turns it takes to turn the idle screws in so you can reset them if it does not improve.  As soon as the screws stop so do you, do not overturn, light touch is the key.  Turn one screw out about 1.5 turns, then turn it out a quarter at a time with the vacuum gauge attached and go for the higher number, then repeat with the other screw.  You may need to adjust them to make the car drive better even if the vacuum goes down a bit from the top value found.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1974dodgecharger

I love backfire.....i can do it when I decrease my nozzle size down....oh yeah BOOM!