News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where are most of the charger in the US?

Started by 68blue, October 07, 2014, 06:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68blue

Been going to car shows now for about 2 years, meeting new folks and having a great time, just need to get the wife more interested. I've been to a few 600-700 car shows and plenty of small ones here in Indiana but have only seen one 68, one 69 and one 70. A lot of these were made, are most just somewhere else in the country? Indiana seems covered in camaros.

68X426

Not in California.  This is Chevy country.

I'm guessing the concentration, what there is, is in Michigan and Missouri (where the Chrysler assembly plants are/were).  I'll guess Georgia is third.

:popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Hmm, I'll have to break that down in the 69 registry and I'll be able to get some idea on that year.

Dino

Low production numbers compared to the other brands - a bunch of cars that did not survive - a bunch of cars in garages across the country that are not going anywhere = not a lot of Chargers on the road.  I'm in Michigan and I've only seen one Charger on the road: mine.

So many Camaro's, Chevelles, GTO's and such were built that even with the same story going on, there's still tons more than Chargers. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Indygenerallee

Where do you live in Indiana? I live in Brazil (over by Terre Haute) I have a 69 and I know of 4 other 2nd gen Chargers just in my town alone. There are 3 2nd gens sitting over at Terre Haute International airport, about 10 more within Terre Haute. and this is just local to me. They are out there but mainly hidden behind garage doors and rarely driven.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

CaptMarvel

Quote from: 68X426 on October 07, 2014, 07:05:45 PM

Not in California.  This is Chevy country.

I'm guessing the concentration, what there is, is in Michigan and Missouri (where the Chrysler assembly plants are/were).  I'll guess Georgia is third.

:popcrn:

I don't know about that, maybe So-Cal or the Bay Area, but I'm originally from Central Ca. San Joaquin Valley farm country & I used to see a fair amount of 1st & 2nd Gen Chargers (and all other Mopars) from Bakersfield all the way up to Modesto...I think all old cars are just seeing more garage time nowadays..

ws23rt

Most of the chargers are living a reincarnated life as a Honda/Toyota/kia.etc :lol:
I bet a close analysis may even be able to detect hemi car blood/iron in the frames.
So the next thing is to match up vin tags and reclaim a zombie. :slap:

J-440

Well, compare 1st Gen Camaros to 2nd Gen Chargers (they came out around the same time).  How much of a difference in numbers built between the 2?  Also, to most of the general public, Mopar built "granny" cars and Chevy and Ford were always more sporty.  I think Buick still has the stereotype as old guy cars.  
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

69wannabe

Mostly chevy's here in north ga. There are a few charger's within about an hour drive away besides mine. Maybe more but I don't know about them. Several mopar's around but not many 68-70 chargers around here.

myk

There are a lot of owners who just aren't part of the scene.  I've seen a few in shops and left business cards on windows with car show information, contact information for the local Mopar club as well as the address to this site, to no avail...

moparnation74

Quote from: myk on October 07, 2014, 09:10:15 PM
There are a lot of owners who just aren't part of the scene.  I've seen a few in shops and left business cards on windows with car show information, contact information for the local Mopar club as well as the address to this site, to no avail...
:iagree:

Same issues here in TX's.  A bunch of garage queens!  Even our local DMC(Dallas mopar club) limit their attendance at local shows, it is rather embarrassing.  Plus, there are a fair number of Mopars here.  We have Cars and Coffee Dallas show here and typically have around 1500 cars in attendance on the 1st sat of every month.  Ranges from Lambos to Model T's and everything in-between. 

At the last show I attended.   I was the only Charger there of the 1-3rd gem's.  A guy came up to me and said, "I really thank you personally for bringing this car here!"  "There are a lot of six to seven figure cars here but you have the only Charger on this lot, perfectly restored, I have ever seen come here!" "And I have been coming here for years!"

Out of those 1500 there was probably 10 pre 1973 Mopars in attendance.  None from the DMC.

Indygenerallee

Really most of the Mopar guy's I know are not the "show" type and neither am I, I doubt I ever take my car to a show when I get it done..... Maybe to the track but im not in to the sit around for a couple hours for a piece of worthless plastic. :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

stripedelete

Quote from: myk on October 07, 2014, 09:10:15 PM

That's exactly it.   If 50% of the camaros never come out, there's still a lot of camaros.   If 50% of the charger don't come out, it gets a little thin.

A383Wing

Daytona R/T SE

I know where seven of them are. :whistling:

My name is currently on the title of:

One 1968 Charger

One 1969 Charger

One 1969 Charger Daytona (Clone)

One 1970 Charger masquerading as a '69 Charger 500

And...

Three 1972 Chargers...

They all need work, but they are all stored indoors, out of the elements. :coolgleamA:

I suspect there are a few thousand other guys just like me with several cars tucked away out of sight. :Twocents:

polywideblock

there are people like me out there to , can't stand the politics and infighting that comes with a club  :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

moparnation74

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 07, 2014, 09:40:52 PM
Really most of the Mopar guy's I know are not the "show" type and neither am I, I doubt I ever take my car to a show when I get it done..... Maybe to the track but im not in to the sit around for a couple hours for a piece of worthless plastic. :Twocents:
That is why we have free will, to each is own.

Fred

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 07, 2014, 09:40:52 PM

x2
For me, the time spent sitting around for hours at car shows can be put to much better use on a two lane blacktop!   :icon_smile_big:   :drive:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

Quote from: polywideblock on October 07, 2014, 11:13:30 PM
there are people like me out there to , can't stand the politics and infighting that comes with a club  :Twocents:

Or the envy! Sorry to be the one to point it out.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

polywideblock

Quote from: Fred on October 08, 2014, 02:06:37 AM
Quote from: polywideblock on October 07, 2014, 11:13:30 PM

I don't get it  :shruggy:   

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

keith88

I live in Ct ,i know of 1 other in my town 1 in the town next to me (been siting at a storage unit for at least 4yr ) and one guy that lives on the other side of the state, and to my surprise i saw 4 at a cruise that i never saw there before a couple months back. Still never see them driving around except for one other. :shruggy:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Charger_Dart

Central New York Mopar Association puts on a decent show every year in September at Lebanon Valley Dragway. I think I counted 9 second generation Chargers in attendance this year. They were all nice!  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

6spd68

Up here in Toronto, I think I see 1 second gen rolling around maybe once every couple years.  Off this site, I've only ever met one other person who's owned one (69 GL Clone).  Other then that, I'm kind of a lone wolf.  Not bad being the envy of all your friends though.  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

moparnation74

[/quote]
What an ignorant statement.  People could say the same to you just for owning a classic car. Whether you go to a show or not.

wingcar

Interesting question that unfortunately may be unable to answer with any real certainty as many would rather not participate in car clubs, car shows or other auto related social events...for any number of reasons.   For some their Charger is a big part of their lives, but not so much for others.

Some of the Charger "Registries" might shed some light on the subject as some such as the 1966-1967 Charger Registry actually broke down what states the cars within their data base are from.  However, many will not register their cars due to a lack of interest or a concern regarding their personal information.  But that aside, the information these sites offer is very interesting.  Below is some of the information found on the first generation registry site and I would think it would hold true for many of the other years as well.

Out of the 53,132 1966-1967 Chargers built, 2130 are registered with the site as of 9/2014

1966:  1435 of 37,344 built or 3.84%         1967:  695 of 15,788 built or 4.40%
Western States:   1966...20.9%           1967...23.8%
Mid States:          1966...29.9%           1967...24.4%
Eastern States:    1966...37.2%           1967...36.6%
Canada:              1966...6.1%             1967...8.3%

For a detailed breakdown of which states have the most Chargers (from the ones registered) I encourage you to checkout Jon's site as he has done a remarkable job of breaking down the information.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400