News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where are most of the charger in the US?

Started by 68blue, October 07, 2014, 06:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68blue

Been going to car shows now for about 2 years, meeting new folks and having a great time, just need to get the wife more interested. I've been to a few 600-700 car shows and plenty of small ones here in Indiana but have only seen one 68, one 69 and one 70. A lot of these were made, are most just somewhere else in the country? Indiana seems covered in camaros.

68X426

Not in California.  This is Chevy country.

I'm guessing the concentration, what there is, is in Michigan and Missouri (where the Chrysler assembly plants are/were).  I'll guess Georgia is third.

:popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Hmm, I'll have to break that down in the 69 registry and I'll be able to get some idea on that year.

Dino

Low production numbers compared to the other brands - a bunch of cars that did not survive - a bunch of cars in garages across the country that are not going anywhere = not a lot of Chargers on the road.  I'm in Michigan and I've only seen one Charger on the road: mine.

So many Camaro's, Chevelles, GTO's and such were built that even with the same story going on, there's still tons more than Chargers. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Indygenerallee

Where do you live in Indiana? I live in Brazil (over by Terre Haute) I have a 69 and I know of 4 other 2nd gen Chargers just in my town alone. There are 3 2nd gens sitting over at Terre Haute International airport, about 10 more within Terre Haute. and this is just local to me. They are out there but mainly hidden behind garage doors and rarely driven.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

CaptMarvel

Quote from: 68X426 on October 07, 2014, 07:05:45 PM

Not in California.  This is Chevy country.

I'm guessing the concentration, what there is, is in Michigan and Missouri (where the Chrysler assembly plants are/were).  I'll guess Georgia is third.

:popcrn:

I don't know about that, maybe So-Cal or the Bay Area, but I'm originally from Central Ca. San Joaquin Valley farm country & I used to see a fair amount of 1st & 2nd Gen Chargers (and all other Mopars) from Bakersfield all the way up to Modesto...I think all old cars are just seeing more garage time nowadays..

ws23rt

Most of the chargers are living a reincarnated life as a Honda/Toyota/kia.etc :lol:
I bet a close analysis may even be able to detect hemi car blood/iron in the frames.
So the next thing is to match up vin tags and reclaim a zombie. :slap:

J-440

Well, compare 1st Gen Camaros to 2nd Gen Chargers (they came out around the same time).  How much of a difference in numbers built between the 2?  Also, to most of the general public, Mopar built "granny" cars and Chevy and Ford were always more sporty.  I think Buick still has the stereotype as old guy cars.  
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

69wannabe

Mostly chevy's here in north ga. There are a few charger's within about an hour drive away besides mine. Maybe more but I don't know about them. Several mopar's around but not many 68-70 chargers around here.

myk

There are a lot of owners who just aren't part of the scene.  I've seen a few in shops and left business cards on windows with car show information, contact information for the local Mopar club as well as the address to this site, to no avail...

moparnation74

Quote from: myk on October 07, 2014, 09:10:15 PM
There are a lot of owners who just aren't part of the scene.  I've seen a few in shops and left business cards on windows with car show information, contact information for the local Mopar club as well as the address to this site, to no avail...
:iagree:

Same issues here in TX's.  A bunch of garage queens!  Even our local DMC(Dallas mopar club) limit their attendance at local shows, it is rather embarrassing.  Plus, there are a fair number of Mopars here.  We have Cars and Coffee Dallas show here and typically have around 1500 cars in attendance on the 1st sat of every month.  Ranges from Lambos to Model T's and everything in-between. 

At the last show I attended.   I was the only Charger there of the 1-3rd gem's.  A guy came up to me and said, "I really thank you personally for bringing this car here!"  "There are a lot of six to seven figure cars here but you have the only Charger on this lot, perfectly restored, I have ever seen come here!" "And I have been coming here for years!"

Out of those 1500 there was probably 10 pre 1973 Mopars in attendance.  None from the DMC.

Indygenerallee

Really most of the Mopar guy's I know are not the "show" type and neither am I, I doubt I ever take my car to a show when I get it done..... Maybe to the track but im not in to the sit around for a couple hours for a piece of worthless plastic. :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

stripedelete

Quote from: myk on October 07, 2014, 09:10:15 PM

That's exactly it.   If 50% of the camaros never come out, there's still a lot of camaros.   If 50% of the charger don't come out, it gets a little thin.

A383Wing

Daytona R/T SE

I know where seven of them are. :whistling:

My name is currently on the title of:

One 1968 Charger

One 1969 Charger

One 1969 Charger Daytona (Clone)

One 1970 Charger masquerading as a '69 Charger 500

And...

Three 1972 Chargers...

They all need work, but they are all stored indoors, out of the elements. :coolgleamA:

I suspect there are a few thousand other guys just like me with several cars tucked away out of sight. :Twocents:

polywideblock

there are people like me out there to , can't stand the politics and infighting that comes with a club  :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

moparnation74

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 07, 2014, 09:40:52 PM
Really most of the Mopar guy's I know are not the "show" type and neither am I, I doubt I ever take my car to a show when I get it done..... Maybe to the track but im not in to the sit around for a couple hours for a piece of worthless plastic. :Twocents:
That is why we have free will, to each is own.

Fred

x2
For me, the time spent sitting around for hours at car shows can be put to much better use on a two lane blacktop!   :icon_smile_big:   :drive:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

Quote from: polywideblock on October 07, 2014, 11:13:30 PM
there are people like me out there to , can't stand the politics and infighting that comes with a club  :Twocents:

Or the envy! Sorry to be the one to point it out.

polywideblock

Quote from: Fred on October 08, 2014, 02:06:37 AM
Quote from: polywideblock on October 07, 2014, 11:13:30 PM

I don't get it  :shruggy:   

keith88

I live in Ct ,i know of 1 other in my town 1 in the town next to me (been siting at a storage unit for at least 4yr ) and one guy that lives on the other side of the state, and to my surprise i saw 4 at a cruise that i never saw there before a couple months back. Still never see them driving around except for one other. :shruggy:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Charger_Dart

Central New York Mopar Association puts on a decent show every year in September at Lebanon Valley Dragway. I think I counted 9 second generation Chargers in attendance this year. They were all nice!  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

6spd68

Up here in Toronto, I think I see 1 second gen rolling around maybe once every couple years.  Off this site, I've only ever met one other person who's owned one (69 GL Clone).  Other then that, I'm kind of a lone wolf.  Not bad being the envy of all your friends though.  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

moparnation74

[/quote]
What an ignorant statement.  People could say the same to you just for owning a classic car. Whether you go to a show or not.

wingcar

Interesting question that unfortunately may be unable to answer with any real certainty as many would rather not participate in car clubs, car shows or other auto related social events...for any number of reasons.   For some their Charger is a big part of their lives, but not so much for others.

Some of the Charger "Registries" might shed some light on the subject as some such as the 1966-1967 Charger Registry actually broke down what states the cars within their data base are from.  However, many will not register their cars due to a lack of interest or a concern regarding their personal information.  But that aside, the information these sites offer is very interesting.  Below is some of the information found on the first generation registry site and I would think it would hold true for many of the other years as well.

Out of the 53,132 1966-1967 Chargers built, 2130 are registered with the site as of 9/2014

1966:  1435 of 37,344 built or 3.84%         1967:  695 of 15,788 built or 4.40%
Western States:   1966...20.9%           1967...23.8%
Mid States:          1966...29.9%           1967...24.4%
Eastern States:    1966...37.2%           1967...36.6%
Canada:              1966...6.1%             1967...8.3%

For a detailed breakdown of which states have the most Chargers (from the ones registered) I encourage you to checkout Jon's site as he has done a remarkable job of breaking down the information.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

70 sublime

I am east of Toronto about an hour

Beside my car there is a guy with a 68 that he has had forever (think he will be burried in it someday)
Big block 4 spd and watched him drive it from black primer till he now has it painted Petty blue
I know where there is another 68 that the guy put a hemi in but the car is almost too good and do not see it out much
There is also another 68 black car red tail stripe driving around the area

Next town over ther is a 69 GL also out and about

So we have a few around here  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Bens340

im located in MA and theres a local cruise night everyother thursday, on a good night theres been about 2,000 cars ranging from imports, muscle, hot rods and trucks. ive only seen 4 or 5 2nd gen chargers, hardly ever see any on the street.
73' charger 340 rallye

68blue

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 07, 2014, 07:56:15 PM
Where do you live in Indiana? I live in Brazil (over by Terre Haute) I have a 69 and I know of 4 other 2nd gen Chargers just in my town alone. There are 3 2nd gens sitting over at Terre Haute International airport, about 10 more within Terre Haute. and this is just local to me. They are out there but mainly hidden behind garage doors and rarely driven.

I live in Bedford not too far away. I've seen a nice green 69 at a show in Holland, a blue heavily modified 68 at the big Washington show and a green 70 in Bloomington. Have only see one third gen car and that was in St. Antony. Maybe they are hidden around here and I'm just missing them. People at shows talk about owning them or remembering them, always interesting stories. Most all say mine is the first one they have seen in a long time.

Mike DC

Mopars are harder & more expensive to restore = they get driven less when finished.

EccentricMagpies

Where they are for sale could be another indicator.  Check out the thread LOOKING FOR DREAM CAR.  Plenty of 2nd gen chargers posted on there

I know of 4 2nd gens in the Cadott area itself.  Well, 3 for sure a 4th I simply seen.
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

Chad L. Magee

They are out there, but not always being driven or shown.  Between my collection and a good friend's collection, we own a total of 12 second gen Chargers.  (But, we know where many more of them are located should we need to buy another one or two for parts cars.  You can never have too many of them until you run out of room. :smilielol:)  Mine are all rare projects (in various stages, some are complete, some are rough body shells) while he is close to having one that is daily drivable (a 1968 with a NOM 440 auto in yellow).  I am content on working on them as time allows....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

hydroforce2

1968 Dodge Charger - 383 4 speed
1968 Dodge Charger - 383 auto
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 6" lift
2005 Dodge Rumble Bee - #3517 Black 4x4

6spd68

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 08, 2014, 08:30:15 AM

Beside my car there is a guy with a 68 that he has had forever (think he will be burried in it someday)
Big block 4 spd and watched him drive it from black primer till he now has it painted Petty blue
I know where there is another 68 that the guy put a hemi in but the car is almost too good and do not see it out much

That Purple 70 out by Gore's Landing is long gone eh?
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Charger_Dart

Quote from: hydroforce2 on October 08, 2014, 02:34:22 PM
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zO5fS7I4njFA.kn6uElIr_Ho0

I started this a couple months ago.. this is world wide

That's a cool way to display were some 68's are located. What database are you working from? AFAIK there isn't a 68 registry... right?

hydroforce2

it's nothing "official" it's something i started just to see locations, answer questions and get some owners together. So far it's a success and many owners are chatting from all over the world.

69rtse4spd

Fred

Quote from: moparnation74 on October 08, 2014, 08:18:53 AM

What an ignorant statement.

Ignorant?
I was referring to car clubs not shows.
I'm afraid the ignorance is yours if you believe there is no envy among club members, that is always the first place I encounter it.  It's human nature after all.
I've lived long enough to have encountered envy and even vindictiveness. If you haven't then you are truly blessed.

People could say the same to you just for owning a classic car. Whether you go to a show or not.

I'm sorry but I don't believe anyone that has seen my car would for one minute think I'm envious of someone else's.

Hard Charger

Quote from: Charger_Dart on October 08, 2014, 07:31:56 AM
Central New York Mopar Association puts on a decent show every year in September at Lebanon Valley Dragway. I think I counted 9 second generation Chargers in attendance this year. They were all nice!  :2thumbs:

so you go to the Valley too. Now I recognize your car.
funny I went to your car 3 times and took a s'load of pictures at that show last month.

the wife and I thought it was an old farts trailer queen that was never driven, it was that clean. no points off for the modern AC.

outstanding car, one of the best I have seen. equal with turbin boy's mango ride. I appreciate every car but I notice the effort of the detail of both your cars.

nice touch with bumper spacing and the black edges on the hood indicator lens. I'm giddy just thinking of it.

ws23rt

What an ignorant statement.  People could say the same to you just for owning a classic car. Whether you go to a show or not.
[/quote]

Surly you have made a knee jerk response.  I saw this and expected you to come back to fix it. :shruggy:
Sometimes we see something in a post that is misunderstood and just fire back. (I've done it).
As others have pointed out this forum is international and their are potential language issues to be careful with not to mention the age differences and kinds of humor that differ.
We also deal with the feeble minded.---Oops is that politically incorrect?  Perhaps someone can help me on this? :cheers:

Hard Charger

ws23rt

"than its not broken"

should be:
"then its not broken"

Just saying. :shruggy:

ws23rt

Quote from: Hard Charger on October 08, 2014, 08:16:20 PM
ws23rt

"than its not broken"

should be:
"then its not broken"

Just saying. :shruggy:

:2thumbs:
See what I mean :lol:

70 sublime

Quote from: 6spd68 on October 08, 2014, 02:36:34 PM

No I think it is still there just a little farther out of my area and was not counting it because I have never seen it in my area ( I know of one out around Ottawa too :icon_smile_cool:)

Oh and I forgot the guy that does the refrigeration work on the farm milk tank has a 68 with a 6 pack on it
I have only seen it out once in 10 years but he still has it
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

polywideblock

Ignorant?
I was referring to car clubs not shows.
I'm afraid the ignorance is yours if you believe there is no envy among club members, that is always the first place I encounter it.  It's human nature after all.
I've lived long enough to have encountered envy and even vindictiveness. If you haven't then you are truly blessed

now I do    :slap:

Fred

Bit slow off the mark Poly but you got there in the end.  :2thumbs:  

moparnation74

Charger_Dart

Quote from: Hard Charger on October 08, 2014, 07:34:29 PM
Quote from: Charger_Dart on October 08, 2014, 07:31:56 AM
Central New York Mopar Association puts on a decent show every year in September at Lebanon Valley Dragway. I think I counted 9 second generation Chargers in attendance this year. They were all nice!  :2thumbs:

so you go to the Valley too. Now I recognize your car.
funny I went to your car 3 times and took a s'load of pictures at that show last month.

the wife and I thought it was an old farts trailer queen that was never driven, it was that clean. no points off for the modern AC.

outstanding car, one of the best I have seen. equal with turbin boy's mango ride. I appreciate every car but I notice the effort of the detail of both your cars.

nice touch with bumper spacing and the black edges on the hood indicator lens. I'm giddy just thinking of it.

Thanks Hard Charger for all the kind words concerning my car. Some would call me an old fart; our daughter seems to think so!!

I do own a open trailer, but the Charger or Dart only ride on it if whatever event we are going to is more then 3 hours away. To me the best times with the Charger are either driving it or working on it. It is just what I really enjoy doing for the past 24 years. She was built to be driven!  :cheers:

Dreamcar

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 08, 2014, 10:02:44 PM
Quote from: 6spd68 on October 08, 2014, 02:36:34 PM

No I think it is still there just a little farther out of my area and was not counting it because I have never seen it in my area ( I know of one out around Ottawa too :icon_smile_cool:)

Oh and I forgot the guy that does the refrigeration work on the farm milk tank has a 68 with a 6 pack on it
I have only seen it out once in 10 years but he still has it

Out around Ottawa...that woudl be me  :nana:

I've only ever seen one more 69 here...a black base model done up as an RT with a fuel injected 440. There's also a very nicely restored 70 (light blue or turquoise) that I haven't seen in two years, but it was around for a while.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

RIDELIKEHELL

I know of a handful near me in Southern Ontario
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Mytur Binsdirti

Dodge Don

I could pull by state but frankly it is a pain in the ass and will take too long.

70 Charger Registry by Country.....3,081 cars registered as of this second.

Australia - 17
Austria - 5
Belgium - 1
Canada - 150
Costa Rica - 1
Finland - 7
France - 1
Germany - 6
Hungary - 1
Iceland - 1
Italy - 3
Mexico - 3
New Zealand - 11
Norway - 14
Qatar - 1
Sweden - 18
Switzerland - 5
Netherlands - 5
UK - 17
USA - 2,813
Venezuela - 1

dodgey68

im in country Victoria Australia and there is 9 68 chargers  in this area alone,
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

TPR

Well I know of at least 233 Second Gens we've taken from you.
Imports seem to have slowed down in recent times, since your dollar has strengthened.
I'm guessing they very rarely go back once they are here.
Sorry :D
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

hydroforce2

Quote from: dodgey68 on October 10, 2014, 03:24:20 AM
im in country Victoria Australia and there is 9 68 chargers  in this area alone,

message me if you would like to be added..

69wannabe

X2!!! I agree completely  :yesnod:

ws23rt

Quote from: TPR on October 10, 2014, 06:11:38 AM
Well I know of at least 233 Second Gens we've taken from you.
Imports seem to have slowed down in recent times, since your dollar has strengthened.
I'm guessing they very rarely go back once they are here.
Sorry :D
TPR

No need to be sorry.  That they survived and are appreciated is what it's all about. :cheers:---It's a small world-- :lol:

familymopar

Hydro - I am on your map and think it is awesome.  I love seeing the disbursement of 68's out there and talking to the others.  You sir have done a service!

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

workworkwork

I have seen several in Maryland. I have a 68 and two 74s. They seem to come in two varieties. Either restored or in very bad need of restoration. Not too many in the middle that I have seen.

440 Fanatic

I went to a car show in Tupelo, Ms. last year that had almost 2000 cars registered. There were 3  68 Chargers there.. 2 in the show and mine in the parking lot (not show worthy, but I DROVE there in it :)  )   Also,  not a single 69 or 70 Charger in the show.  One of the 68s  was a RootBeer color factory 440  4 Speed.

xoman60

I've only seen a couple in my area, St.Pete, FL. I'm not into shows but I go to cruise nights and cars and coffee events. Mostly mustangs, Camaros and corvettes at those events. I drive my 69 several times a week so at least people know one old charger lives around here.

hydroforce2

Quote from: familymopar on October 10, 2014, 08:26:29 PM

Hydro - I am on your map and think it is awesome.  I love seeing the disbursement of 68's out there and talking to the others.  You sir have done a service!

Thank you!!!

F8-4life

wingcar

One of the major benefits to attending car shows (if you are into doing that) with a Mopar is that your car will not be lost in a sea of "the same make and model".  You will be unique for the most part....same thing when you drive on the streets...chances are you will not see another (older) Mopar for miles if at all.....Chevy and Ford owners can't say that.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

LaOtto70Charger

I'm in the Auburn, IN area.  I used to see a dark green '68 around quite often at the Monroe muffler shop in town.  I heard of a 1969 that needed body work recently.  Also saw NorthstarV8's car last year or the year before in Fort Wayne.  Plus there is at least one General Lee and a couple other 2nd gen's that show up to the ACD cruise in.

I did see a color silver 4 door 60's dart at the Kroger this Sunday when I had my '70 out for a grocery run.  Parked on the otherside of the shopping cart corral from it completely by accident.

jaak

Quote from: 69wannabe on October 10, 2014, 06:32:51 PM

X2!!! I agree completely  :yesnod:

X3, or that's my reasoning. When I first finished the 69 I drove it anytime I could. Now I get it out a couple times a month. So mine gets driven, but I don't do the car show thing. I like going, looking at cars and rummaging around swap meets, but don't get the 'fun' out of showing my car. After I finished it, I put it in a couple of shows raising money for charity, that was enough for me. That being said I know of 7-8 2nd gens within a 15 mile radius of me, all but a couple are running/driving cars, and I have only seen one of them at a car show (68 GL clone), so these guys don't show them either.

Jason