News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No way can that 440 make 400+ HP!!

Started by RECHRGD, August 10, 2014, 03:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar4me

The guy said no big block Mopar could make over 400 HP. What about the Hemi it's a big block and it made more than the 425 advertised HP. Should of told him that,

Ghoste

Those kind of experts are never wrong, the best thing is almost always to ignore them.  Although I'm usually no good at following that advice myself.

twodko

Well hell, this clinches it! I'm selling my gutless 440 R/T.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

redmist

The best thing I ever did was bastardize the crap out of my engine. Half the people that see it think I put a modern Chevy LS in the car, and the other half think I don't know WTF I am talking about when I tell them it's just a basic .030 over 440.   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

69wannabe

I haven't taken my charger to any show's or cruise in's all summer and I haven't really missed it sad to say. I do drive it out regularly and get a bite to eat or just cruise through town and have enjoyed not to have to listen to all those comment's by those who think they know more about your car than you do ::) Maybe next year I will be brave enough to hit a few of the show's but I kinda doubt it

RallyeMike

It take all kinds. I see the humor in it and try and roll with it:

I once told a know-it-all guy my 60 Plymouth was a modified 57 Chevy and he walked away spouting that "he knew it all along", he could "see the lines.....blah blah blah..."  :lol:   Enjoy it.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Patronus

I told a guy once my Sunbird wagon had nitrous on it.  :yesnod:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Ghoste

I once told this girl I met in a bar...        oh never mind, we've all done that.

472 R/T SE

You didn't know that Bob?

That's why my #'s block is under my bench.  I just couldn't get more than 390 HP out of it.

Truth be told, I think the #'s motor is just as strong as what's in the car now.   :D

Lord Warlock

Its probably likely the guy remembers how the hp numbers went down dramatically when they changed the ratings from gross hp to net hp in 72? and they realized big blocks don't put 400 hp to the ground. At least not to the majority of cars out there.  These people haven't kept up with the times and how hp is often exaggerated on newer models.

I will say that the older guy is at least more fun to talk to at a meet since he may have actually drove one of our type of cars when they were new, I much prefer those over the new age enthusiast that thinks a cold air kit adds 100hp, slamming the car to the ground with wheels outside of the wheelwells claiming it'll run circles around a stocker, or those who think a sticker from a speed shop or manufacturer adds hp and torque.  The 90s and early 2000s with teens in hondas and supras thought they owned the roads in cars that topped out at 96mph.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Todd Wilson

I remember one time I had just got my 71 Charger done and was at a show and the car still needed some odds and ends and the interior (still isn't perfect) needed some door panels and a few other things anyways this guy who had just restored a 65 Mustang pulled me off to the side and was gonna share a secret with me. He is talking in a low voice telling me all about his mustang and there's this place you can call and I can order everything I need to finish up my car.........This place is called Year One.......... Call em they have everything............ I just laughed and told him yeah if you are restoring  Mustang but you cant get a damn thing for my 71. This was 10-12 years ago. HAHA!

Todd

6spd68

Quote from: Lord Warlock on August 12, 2014, 05:01:57 PM
The 90s and early 2000s with teens in hondas and supras thought they owned the roads in cars that topped out at 96mph.

I remember those days, fortunately I was able to straighten many with my T-Bird though  :nana:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

GOTWING

We have a 360 making 336hp to the REAR WHEELS and it is nothing super trick. Soooo at the flywheel that's easy 400hp..  :nana:

Tilar

You boys have to understand that at one time, nobody knew how to make HP match the Cubic Inches. And this has been in my lifetime. So if someone claimed to have a 440 that pushed 440HP, You were either a liar, on some sort of drugs or a fucking magician. You could get close, but not past it,
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ws23rt

Quote from: Tilar on August 19, 2014, 04:59:50 PM
You boys have to understand that at one time, nobody knew how to make HP match the Cubic Inches. And this has been in my lifetime. So if someone claimed to have a 440 that pushed 440HP, You were either a liar, on some sort of drugs or a fucking magician. You could get close, but not past it,

I remember them days :lol:    The street hemi did it (as advertised) and is a big block mopar. :shruggy:

Ghoste

As did the DeSoto 341 Hemi in 1956 and the 283 Fuelie Chev engines in 57.

Lord Warlock

The 327 did it in the 60s with the 350hp and 375hp 327.  And the 350 has done it.  improvements to motors has come a long way.  Smaller motors seem to do well with 4 valves per cylinder, wonder why they haven't implemented that on the larger motors yet.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Bob T

As did the Aussies with the 302 hp 265 cui 6cyl 71 E49 Charger
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

TUFCAT

Quote from: rt green on August 11, 2014, 03:22:20 PM
well thats just great.  now, how do i get the smoke back in the tires?

To make a point of recharged signature line of 13.53 @ 105.32, that's moving very good for a stock 440. For 1969, that would be considered very impressive!

Mike DC

QuoteSmaller motors seem to do well with 4 valves per cylinder, wonder why they haven't implemented that on the larger motors yet

There are some good reasons why the bigger motors aren't getting the development of the smaller ones.

4 valves per cylinder, multiple camshafts, etc . . . it's all about giving the motor the ability to make more power at a higher RPM.  But larger motors are typically used on vehicles that need low-RPM torque more than hi-RPM horsepower.  (If the vehicle could have been built with a smaller hi-RPM motor instead, then they would have do it that way.  Smaller motors lead to better gas mileage.)  The multiple valves also increase the size & weight & complexity of the heads, which becomes more troublesome & expensive on a bigger motor than it does on a small one.  

keith88

I don't worry about such claims i have a 318. But that being said nascar dose get that type of power out of there small blocks so i would imagine that it would be possible ...but it would cost a pretty penny.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.