News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator wiring....another question, with pic

Started by Shredthepow, October 04, 2014, 11:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shredthepow

Finishing up the wiring, never attempted this before.  New everything so I don't have anything to compare to.  Got everything connected with info from FSM, stuck on these last few wires.  Here are the details:

Switched to electronic ignition & new harness from YO.  Dual Field alternator - New from NAPA.

Trying to connect the following wires in the picture:
A - Solid blue - lower tab on alternator?
B - Black with yellow tracer - ?
C - Solid blue wire - top terminal on alt?
D - Purple/Black - Bottom terminal on alt?
E - Solid Green - top tab on alternator?
F - I grounded the top terminal to the bottom tab on the alternator at the advice of the guy at NAPA.  Not sure if this is correct for my application.

Any & all help is much appreciated!

Pete in NH

Hi,

I don't have any direct experience with the YO reproduction harnesses but, the first question I would ask is what voltage regulator are you going to use. I suspect if the new harness is set up for the Mopar Electronic ignition system, it will also have the new wiring for the 1970 and up Mopar electronic voltage regulator. Knowing what regulator you have will guide you in what to do with the green and blue alternator field wires and whether you need to ground one side of the alternator field. The NAPA counter guy is only right if you have the stock 69 type regulator. The other question I have and don't know the answer to is- does the YO harness follow the factory color codes exactly?

Shredthepow

From what I understand, from researching on this site, yes the YO harness (M&H) follows the color coding on the original harness exactly.
I do have the stock voltage regulator but the harness I got calls for a 4 pin voltage regulator (70 and up?), so I also have one of those.
I'm also installing the Electronic ignition (orange box) & MSD Blaster2 coil.

A383Wing

Quote from: Shredthepow on October 04, 2014, 03:22:45 PM

I do have the stock voltage regulator but the harness I got calls for a 4 pin voltage regulator (70 and up?), so I also have one of those.

regulator is only a 2 pin style....you must have something wrong with harness then. There was never a 4 pin regulator on our cars....Chevy & Ford, yes, not a Mopar

Shredthepow

I have both ballasts, original 2 prong & 4 prong.

I checked the packaging on my harness & called to verify that I have the correct harness for a 69.  I also found this post confirming that the new harness' from M&H for 69 modified to 70 electronic ignition come with the 4 point ballast connector.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,5195.0.html

I hope I don't have the wrong harness.

Here is a pic of the ballast connections I have.

will

Canadian1968

Quote from: will on October 04, 2014, 06:11:00 PM
C AND B are for the coil,

Thats right B goes to the negative side and C goes to the postive.

D should have a 10g black wire and smaller purple. This goes to the big nut on the alternator ( but looks like you have a spade connection in your picture, so hopefully there is one on your alt)

E - tab on alternator

A-  I am pretty sure this should be the other tab on the alternator.

F-  I am not sure where that goes, is it part of the harness? it doens't look like it in the picture

Shredthepow

Excellent, Thank You!!

F is a ground wire that I made on a recommendation from the counter guy at Napa.  It jumps from the small post on the alternator to one of the tabs.  I take it I dont need this with my set up?

Canadian1968

Quote from: Shredthepow on October 04, 2014, 06:41:05 PM
Excellent, Thank You!!

F is a ground wire that I made on a recommendation from the counter guy at Napa.  It jumps from the small post on the alternator to one of the tabs.  I take it I dont need this with my set up?

No you don't need it. I have seen people run an extra ground to the alternator . But it's just connected to one of the random bolts on the alternator just ensure that it has a good ground. But the bracket bolt should be more than enough.

Pete in NH

Those ballast resistor connectors are for the older 4 pin ballast resistor. You can use the older 4 pin ballast with the orange box ECU, one section of the resistor just will not be connected to anything in the ECU.

I think you may be confusing the 4 pin ballast connectors with the 4 pin voltage regulator connector you mentioned. I've attached a picture of the Mopar electronic voltage regulator and you should have a connector in the harness that matches the connector on the regulator.

Nacho-RT74

the F jumper you made to alt prong is just if using mechanical regulator for one field charging system

rest... well, pretty much covered

C + lead and B - leads of coil

A will be in place when you fit the F, however A and E can be indistinctelly interchanged. Its used to be fit to the closer to the main stud for safety reason... A ( blue wire ) drives positive, and being closer to the main stud won't short out in case of an incident, just will full feed the alt.

D of course, main stud for charging system ->ammeter ( violet wire is source for horn relay on radiator core support )

ballast plugs... of course, double prongs ( 4 prongs ) setup. Will match any 4 or 5 pins ECU. But if using 4 pins ECU which USUALLY is matched with single ballast, and want to use single ballast, will need to use one of the blues ( anyone ) of the double blue plug, and the one which gets brown and blue ( coil ballast bypass ). Despite the other blue and the green traced red. These last are to source the 5th pin removed on 4 pins ECUs.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html