News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 rear tail light socket changing do I have to remove whole bumper?

Started by WH23G3G, October 02, 2014, 09:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

Do yourself a favor and use die electrical grease on your sockets/bulbs. Makes it easier to remove the bulbs when it comes time to replace them.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

E5 Charger

Interesting. My tabs are broken and I don't have the fasteners. I guess both are correct. I'm sure the correct plastic fasteners are impossible to find, so bolts it is! What size and length are they?

1973rallye

I installed the housings on my white charger with the c nuts and smaller bolts. You have to be careful not to over tighten or you will snap the plastic tabs. Still run the risk of breaking the tabs installing the c nuts. My silver car has the push pins that hold the housings in place and that car has been pretty much untouched. Did you want me to snap a picture of what they look like Bryan?
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

E5 Charger

I think that would be a great idea 1973rallye. I've seen this discussion in the past, but no one had a photo of what they looked like.

ODZKing

I wonder if it is another St Louis vs Lynch Road thing.
Did you know the bumper/grille assembly is assembled differently depending on where the car came from?  :yesnod:

E5 Charger

ODZKing

OK, let me see if I can explain this properly. In the two pictures, you'll see one bracket has the bolts up with the nuts showing (St Louis) and in the second bolts down with the head showing (Lynch Road). That requires the four brackets that secure the grilles to be mounted in such a way so they have an even amount on either top or bottom of the grille.  They can be mounted either way and one way it will sit tight to the bottom or not depending on how the bolts go in. Mounted down they will hit the grill, again, if not mounted correctly.  I know it sounds stupid but when I was assembling my bumper and brackets I discovered this and asked for pictures from several members. Comparing the pictures I could see there was a difference in the way the were assembled, visibly by the bolts up or down.  Then discovered the square holes in the brackets where the plastic mount goes is ever so slightly higher or lower on the bracket, thus making the grille sit differently.
Another note, by adjusting these you can also install the grilles reverse - left/right - right left.

E5 Charger

1973rallye

Quote from: E5 Charger on November 04, 2014, 09:58:35 AM
I think that would be a great idea 1973rallye. I've seen this discussion in the past, but no one had a photo of what they looked like.

Well Bob. May have jumped the gun on this topic. The bumpers have been rechromed on this car, which means that the original method of securing the housings would have been removed. I had a look underneath and each of the two housings have a different style black nylon push retainer. I can't be sure if any of them would be original, but they hold the housings in place nicely. Ray
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker