News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torque Converter question...

Started by 72Charger-SE, September 28, 2014, 09:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

Ok...  I need your help again... 

The 727 (1972) trans has been rebuild with all new clutches including upgrading the front clutch from a three to a four disc setup.  Additionally I installed the TF-2 shift kit and internals.  My question is around the torque converter needed.

I am still in the process of designing and building the motor however I don't see anything close to 500HP (400HP prob max).  I have 3.55 gears on a sure grip 8 3/4.  I do plan to run it at the track a couple times a year but I am not trying to get a 12 second quarter...  I see mostly street driving and 'launching' at lights for fun and such but not actually racing. 

I am reading about torque converters and am somewhat confused...

Can someone give me the 'torque converter 101' education?  Also, any recommendations on torque converters for the above stated use would be greatly appreciated.

myk

I can't give you that recommendation, but I do know that your gears, converter and 'cam have to be properly matched together.  What are the 'specs on your engine build?  Someone else will chime in with a loose guess-timation for you...

72Charger-SE

440 (.030) with a steel crank.  I have 906 heads that are ported new hardened seats, valves, and springs.  Mildon deep oil pan & pump.

Everything else is unknown..   probably KB pistons with a purple cam but I am not 100% certain.

John_Kunkel

'torque converter 101' would fill a half-dozen pages but for what you're doing I would say an 11" factory hi-stall converter is all you need.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BSB67

Cannot really talk converter without knowing the cam.

FWIW, you can get a cam that will allow you to keep the factory converter you have now, get you on the sunny side of 400 hp, and run in the 12s.

Something like the Mr. Six Pack cam will work.  I did it with the MP 272°, 0.455" cam and a 12" converter.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph