News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The 2X2 cars

Started by Ghoste, September 26, 2014, 06:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Why were they called that?

Baldwinvette77

you mean 2+2? 2 people up front, and 2 more seats in the back  :scratchchin:

Ghoste

Not 2 plus 2, 2 by 2.  It was a lowered NASCAR Charger that was banned.

Baldwinvette77

When the 1968 Road Runner/Charger wasn't fast enough, the aero program was started and ended up with the Charger 500 and the Daytona. There was also a chassis program that developed the 2X2 concept. The idea was to lower the front of the car by 2". This was both for aero and to lower the CG. The difficulty in doing this was the engine height. The engines were still wet sump then and we had as shollow an oil pan as we could make work.,That left the area from the CL of the crank to the top of the air cleaner controlling the height of the front portion of the body.The block and heads were pretty well fixed in height, so was the carburetor. There was a minimum height between the top of the carburetor and the inside of the air cleaner that would flow enough air to let the engine make the necessary Horsepower. If we wanted to lower the front of the body by 2", we had to sink the carburetor 2" into the manifold. Engine design designed such a manifold and the prototype was fabricated from plate and sheet steel by welding. To make this all work the plenum area under the carburetor was about 2" below the bottom of the inlet ports. This was barely acceptable for a race car but would never work on the street, Fuel would puddle up in the bottom the the plenum and the drivability would be unacceptable.

The 2X2 manifold just barely worked. The phony #88 has a stock manifold, and as Larry and I saw when we looked at it the air cleaner has been cut down to fit under the hood. OK for testing, but there would never be enough power to race that engine. At least three 2X2 manifolds must have been made. They were probably scrapped when the X2 cars were outlawed.

The 2X2 program was a major effort. Too bad it had such poor results. Cale won with a two lap lead. Derringer was three laps back with the first Mopar, the 2X2 Plymouth. I believe that NASCAR made us run the cars 2" higher than we had designed them to run once they figured out what we had done.

Copy and pasted from ze internetz  :popcrn:

Aero426

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 26, 2014, 06:52:04 PM
When the 1968 Road Runner/Charger wasn't fast enough, the aero program was started and ended up with the Charger 500 and the Daytona. There was also a chassis program that developed the 2X2 concept. The idea was to lower the front of the car by 2". This was both for aero and to lower the CG. The difficulty in doing this was the engine height. The engines were still wet sump then and we had as shollow an oil pan as we could make work.,That left the area from the CL of the crank to the top of the air cleaner controlling the height of the front portion of the body.The block and heads were pretty well fixed in height, so was the carburetor. There was a minimum height between the top of the carburetor and the inside of the air cleaner that would flow enough air to let the engine make the necessary Horsepower. If we wanted to lower the front of the body by 2", we had to sink the carburetor 2" into the manifold. Engine design designed such a manifold and the prototype was fabricated from plate and sheet steel by welding. To make this all work the plenum area under the carburetor was about 2" below the bottom of the inlet ports. This was barely acceptable for a race car but would never work on the street, Fuel would puddle up in the bottom the the plenum and the drivability would be unacceptable.

The 2X2 manifold just barely worked. The phony #88 has a stock manifold, and as Larry and I saw when we looked at it the air cleaner has been cut down to fit under the hood. OK for testing, but there would never be enough power to race that engine. At least three 2X2 manifolds must have been made. They were probably scrapped when the X2 cars were outlawed.

The 2X2 program was a major effort. Too bad it had such poor results. Cale won with a two lap lead. Derringer was three laps back with the first Mopar, the 2X2 Plymouth. I believe that NASCAR made us run the cars 2" higher than we had designed them to run once they figured out what we had done.

Copy and pasted from ze internetz  :popcrn:

Those are the words of George M. Wallace.

Once again, the first generation 1968 cars were already cheated up.  The X 2 cars developed by mid-season took another bite at the apple to lower the front an additional 2".     When they were caught, it all went out the window.   Translation: a lot of work for nothing.  

Ghoste

So this intake would be like the bathtub intake on steroids?

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on September 26, 2014, 09:24:03 PM

Bathtub intake with the carb sunk in further than normal. 

Mike DC

The main component of the 2x2 conversion was bodywork.  The severe "bathtub" intake was an additional item required to keep the engine fitting underneath the hood once all that bodywork was done.

They would separate the roof/sides of the body from the floors/rails as if it was a giant plastic model.  Then weld it back together with the roof/sides positioned differently on the undercarriage.  The outer skin was both lowered a couple inches and also raked a couple degrees compared to stock.

It seems like a load of work to lower a car.  But keep in mind this was right around the time when NASCAR teams were first starting to re-skin their aging chassis with the roof & sides of a newer model. 

I've wondered why the aero-car designers didn't slap a hood bulge onto the aero cars.  It seems like a very easy way to free up some extra HP compared to some of the other lengths they were going to for gains on that project.  Even if the 2x2 lowering was outlawed I'm sure the engine guys would have loved a couple extra inches to clear a higher-rising intake.

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

Quote from: Aero426 on September 26, 2014, 10:30:05 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 26, 2014, 09:24:03 PM

Bathtub intake with the carb sunk in further than normal. 

Yeah thats what I meant.  Interesting, I knew about the bodywork but not the intake and thats second "2" was what confuzzed me.  I don't know about adding a hood bulge, it would mean retooling for the stamping not to mention the red tape internally to do such and I don't think many intakes of the day had issues with clearance?
Do any of the 2X2 bathtubs exist today?

odcics2

Cotton had one in 2011.  It was off the '68 2x2 #6.
We were too far apart on $,$$$.   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

BPTRacing

something like this???
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

Ghoste

Isn't that a standard bathtub?

Indygenerallee

Looks sunk in where the carb sit to me!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

Aren't the standard ones sunk a little?  It doesn't look like a two inch drop to me I guess.  :shruggy:
Just asking as I was always a fan on the drag side so you need to indulge and educate me some.

tan top

picture below ,  of a Hemi nascar motor , was on ebay a few years ago , was said to be a spare Ray Elder motor  :scratchchin:   note the thickness of the top plate , (lid)of  the intake  :scratchchin:

(usless bit of info , I think this motor is now going in the Olympic express French  third generation  lemans charger )

second picture is  of the #6 buddy baker Daytona show car ,  looks the same intake as (BPTR ) posted  :coolgleamA:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

Those are both standard bathtub intakes.
"2x2" specific intake was sunk wayyyyyy lower in the middle!

"Fake 88" at the museum has a 'squashed' carb inlet on the air bonnet,
so the hood will close.

Ghoste

Do any photos of them exist.  :lol:
I've been searching the net and not having much luck.

BROCK

The 1st & 3rd pic show the lid sitting way down on the base compared to the middle pic.  That middle pic has a deep skirt to raise the whole lid!  Was there a single carb drag bathtub?

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Ghoste

I don't think the drag cars ever ran a bathtub?  They had the STR with interchangeable tops and a similar appearance but I don't know about an actual bathtub style. :shruggy:

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on September 27, 2014, 11:51:21 AM
I don't think the drag cars ever ran a bathtub?  They had the STR with interchangeable tops and a similar appearance but I don't know about an actual bathtub style. :shruggy:

:iagree:

Aero426

This is a later style manifold after Petty took over the Chrysler circle track parts operation.     Standard issue.   

I've never seen a photo of the 2 x 2 manifold.   If they exist, they are in hiding.

BPTRacing

Apparently there were a few different thickness's available.
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

Mike DC

Yeah thats what I meant.  Interesting, I knew about the bodywork but not the intake and thats second "2" was what confuzzed me.  I don't know about adding a hood bulge, it would mean retooling for the stamping not to mention the red tape internally to do such and I don't think many intakes of the day had issues with clearance?
Do any of the 2X2 bathtubs exist today?

I meant they could have added a hood bulge during the C500 or Daytona projects.  By that point the engineers had a green light to do anything they wanted for the slightest HP gains. 

I would expect a higher-rising intake on the race Hemis to add some extra HP over & above the regular NASCAR intakes, never mind the 2x2 ones which were compromised even farther for clearance.