News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A NASCAR CLONE?

Started by crj1968, September 26, 2014, 12:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crj1968

As some of you know I am trying to sell my 70 Charger. . . love the car, but I have my reasons, need some cash, but it's no emergency.

I was thinking how cool it might be to make some sort of NASCAR clone out of it if I don't sell it.  Being a 70, it's not exactly accurate, but it sure might be a cool route to go...thoughts?

JB400

Sounds like an alright idea.  Have you been following along in Indygenerallee's thread?  He's in the process of building a race Daytona replica.

pmike

Me thinks it would be cool, but whats under the hood should then match the looks :)

Mike DC

If you're gonna hack up any 1970-specific sheetmetal, make sure it's good and rusty stuff.   

Beyond that, I say go for it. 

crj1968

Quote from: pmike on September 26, 2014, 03:44:03 AM
Me thinks it would be cool, but whats under the hood should then match the looks :)

Well the 440 will have to do for now.

I wouldnt hack any metal up-  just thinking the lowered look with the painted steelies and some wacky nascar-like paint scheme.

crj1968

Quote from: JB400 on September 26, 2014, 12:46:35 AM
Sounds like an alright idea.  Have you been following along in Indygenerallee's thread?  He's in the process of building a race Daytona replica.

I havent seen it but will find it- thanks

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

RallyeMike

QuoteI wouldnt hack any metal up-  just thinking the lowered look with the painted steelies and some wacky nascar-like paint scheme.

Not exactly a Nascar "clone" in those circumstances. But I still think it would be neat with a race car-themed look.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Indygenerallee

QuoteI wouldnt hack any metal up-  just thinking the lowered look with the painted steelies and some wacky nascar-like paint scheme.

IMO they look a lot better like the race version, monster wheels, slammed....radius those wheel wells!!  :icon_smile_big:

Patronus

I've been toying around with an idea re: '70 race project like that. Searched and found your car, looks like a great start. Kinda close too... would she make it to Denver?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

crj1968

Indie- I checked out your thread- all I can say is WOW. That is going to be super cool. Talk about getting into detail....a touch above my tax bracket!

Patronus; Denver from Boise? Hell, it'd make it to Scotland.  Seriously though, runs fantastic....no worries.

tan top

:2thumbs: :drool5:   :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

You see so many photos of the superspeedway cars from that era that you sometimes forget there were MANY non-wing cars then too.

Dino

Making a race car is exactly what I would do to a 70.  With painted bumpers.   :yesnod:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Stevearino

Quote from: tan top on September 27, 2014, 05:02:00 AM
:2thumbs: :drool5:   :yesnod:
Check out the lower quarters how they flair out to the tires. That's cool and IMHO no vent windows makes an already great looking car look even better. Too bad the street car did not come that way. Would have saved me a lot of grief on my project.

crj1968

That's interesting the one pic of that car it has the vent windows....and the one you posted they are gone.  same car?  :shruggy:

Indygenerallee

No the pic you posted was a clone.. notice the twin turbo mill in it!!  :icon_smile_big: Also it does not have the same fender flares and no A-pillar trim just for a few things.

crj1968

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 27, 2014, 07:54:43 PM
No the pic you posted was a clone.. notice the twin turbo mill in it!!  :icon_smile_big: Also it does not have the same fender flares and no A-pillar trim just for a few things.

Gotchya- that is one cool looking clone- 

Patronus

Quote from: Dino on September 27, 2014, 08:11:21 AM
Making a race car is exactly what I would do to a 70.  With painted bumpers.   :yesnod:

This car has a nice style. Too clean though. My thoughts were more rough - rivets, window straps and clips, ext battery terminals etc. Maybe...just maybe.. with a Gulf Paint job?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Dino

Quote from: Patronus on September 27, 2014, 10:08:50 PM
Quote from: Dino on September 27, 2014, 08:11:21 AM

This car has a nice style. Too clean though. My thoughts were more rough - rivets, window straps and clips, ext battery terminals etc. Maybe...just maybe.. with a Gulf Paint job?

Very nice but yeah, too clean.  I like your idea.  :yesnod: 
I had another car in mind that has been posted here.  Also has a painted bumper but it may have been painted body color.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Indygenerallee

My Daytona the exterior will be exactly like the #71 K&K car all the way down to the riveted door handle deletes and rear bumper riveted aluminum plates for the aero. I think if your going to do a Grand National version it does not have to be as perfect because all race cars are "gritty" and not show perfect.  :2thumbs:

crj1968

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 27, 2014, 10:16:15 PM
My Daytona the exterior will be exactly like the #71 K&K car all the way down to the riveted door handle deletes and rear bumper riveted aluminum plates for the aero. I think if your going to do a Grand National version it does not have to be as perfect because all race cars are "gritty" and not show perfect.  :2thumbs:

My thoughts exactly for my situation...for your build I say..  :notworthy: :boogie:  and the salute guy too but I cant find him.