News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ram pinion crush sleave

Started by flyinlow, September 23, 2014, 09:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Replaced the bad pinion bearings on my 2004 ram. Trying to tighten the pinion nut to set the preload but i hit a stop. I bolted a piece of angle about 4ft. long to the flange and was tightening with a 3/4 ratchet.  I bent the angle iron. Still have about 1/8 inchfront to back play.  Took it back apart, don't see any thing wrong.

Suggestions?

toocheaptosmoke

Getting some new crush sleeves to start deforming can be a real bear, but once you get them started they go easier.  If you have 1/8" to go, put the sleeve in a press and crush it a 1/16" or so then try it again.  :cheers:

flyinlow

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on September 24, 2014, 11:32:13 AM
Getting some new crush sleeves to start deforming can be a real bear, but once you get them started they go easier.  If you have 1/8" to go, put the sleeve in a press and crush it a 1/16" or so then try it again.  :cheers:

Great idea!  After taking a break from it and a couple beers, I welded up a better wrench to hold the flange, with about a 4 foot length. Once the sleeve started crushing it went easier.
I think it set now .  It's just hard too believe how much torque you are applying too get things started.

thanks for the reply. :2thumbs: