News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hot trans hard to get into first

Started by Dmichels, September 22, 2013, 08:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

When the car is cold it shifts like a dream. After it heats up once in a while it is hard to get in first. Trans is rebuilt. Clutch is a stock McCloud unit. Everything is adjusted as it should be. Fluid is valvoline 80/90.
Thanks Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

ws23rt

Is there free play in the clutch pedal when it's hot?

Dmichels

good question. I will let you know the next time I have it out. I have been chasing this one for a bit. If I just drive the car around things are fine for a while. But as soon as I start hammering on it, It seams like it it gets harder to shift
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Dmichels

This is a random issue. I think it is either a internal issue or a funny lube problem
68 440 4 speed 4.10

ws23rt

I find it interesting that the FSM calls for 80/90 gear oil or ATF--Auto trans. fluid (dextron).
It also mentions s.a.e. 140 for warm climates. :shruggy:

Any one out there have input on this?   My 833 shifts fine with 80/90.

John_Kunkel

Thin oil when it's hot should actually make it easier to get into gear.

I'd look at the clutch; forget the pedal free play and measure the actual air gap with the bellhousing dust cover removed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dmichels

Thanks John
What is the correct air gap?
Also this is a random problem. When I can not get into first I shift into rev and it does not grind. This is a strange one I wonder if the clutch is stuck on the spines
68 440 4 speed 4.10

John_Kunkel

I would want a minimum air gap of .060" with the pedal fully depressed; at the same time it's easy to check the disc for freedom of movement by rotating it with a long screwdriver.

If it won't go into 1st but will go into Reverse the clutch isn't the problem. You say everything is adjusted correctly but the shifter adjustment seems the logical culprit at this time.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dmichels

Well after a year of dealing with this I am going to pull the trans. There is nothing more I can do without digging in. Clutch and shifter linkage has been checked and rechecked. I have the correct air gap on the disk as John instructed. I am not enjoying the car because of this and that is not right. I have studied this kept notes. There is some drag then the clutch is disengaged. When the trans oil is cold the trans goes into first and reverse fine. I believe this is because the slight drag cannot overpower the thick oil. When things warm up that's when the problems start. The other gears up and downshift fine. Takes longer for the problem to start on cold days. This was a 4 speed conversion and I never checked bell housing alignment so that is the first thing I am going to check. I really think this is the problem. I am also going to check the clutch disk to see if it is warped or bent. I did the trans myself and believe it is not the issue, but i may open it up again. Any other things I should check will I have it apart.
Thank you for all the help
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

c00nhunterjoe

As far as i know, the valvoline gear oil is gl5 which will cause all kinds of hard shifting problems.

Dmichels

I drained that out and found some GL-4 at Napa still had the same issues
68 440 4 speed 4.10

c00nhunterjoe

Napa stocks gl4? What was it for my own curiosity?

Dmichels

68 440 4 speed 4.10

Charger-Bodie

Brad penn makes gl 4 again too. That what I have in both of mine.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............