News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Abandonded drag strips

Started by Ghoste, September 21, 2014, 09:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Deep into the back side of the course, we are now on the original track pavement.  

Aero426

Back in the 1990's,  I found pieces of bleachers in the field.   I'll bet they are gone now.

Aero426

Also taken back in the 90's,  the drive through tunnel under the main straight has now been completely filled in. 

charge69

Great pictures of the remains of an "era-gone-bye" and the remnants of the old raceway, Aero426  !!  It must be amazing to explore the area and attend the car shows held there !! :2thumbs:

Aero426

Turn one at the end of a VERY long downhill straight was a banked corkscrew.  

Aero426

Quote from: charge69 on September 21, 2014, 06:57:42 PM
Great pictures of the remains of an "era-gone-bye" and the remnants of the old raceway, Aero426  !!  It must be amazing to explore the area and attend the car shows held there !! :2thumbs:

It was probably a little more fun when it was in a feral state and you had to sort of sneak in.    The property was definitely a hangout and a dumping ground for many, many years.    I never had any trouble, but visiting near sunset by yourself could be a little spooky.   It is a big property with hills and some rough terrain.   Late fall is the best time to see it when the leaves are down.  

Here's a good example of nature taking its course.    There is a small stream running through the property.     I believe it had been filled in when the track was built.   Eventually, it eroded the front straight leading to the collapse you see here.   Vandals would dump cars down in the gully.   This is another old pic from the 1990's.   It has all been cleaned up and a large pedestrian bridge has been placed over the chasm.  

Drag strip return would be to the right of the photo under the bridge.    This bridge was removed a five or so years ago.   

Aero426

Down the front straight in 1959.  The 2nd, 3rd and 4th cars are what became the washout area.    You can see on the sides how the dirt was piled up by man.   Nature eventually fixed that.

The front straight was very, very, VERY high speed.   You ran flat for the drag strip portion then plunged downhill as shown here.   Just out of view is a small rise and another plunge into the banked turn one right hander.     There was little to no run off area designed into the course.

Aero426

There was a short course cutoff turn from the main straight.   Sports car clubs and some stock car races used this.  This photo is from a 1963 USAC stock car race won by Curtis Turner #26 leading Norm Nelson in #3.   

Aero426

I am running 51 years behind Turner and Nelson.   How many laps down am I?

Ghoste

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on September 21, 2014, 07:26:38 PM
Wow, that was quite a track!

The full course was a very hairy in a big HP car.   Little to no run off anywhere.    Lots of embankments to run into.   That played a role in the downfall of the course eventually.   It was never a money maker for several different promotors and politics played a role too.    

Here's a short video clip from 1962 that isn't bad to give you the flavor of the course.     You will see a high banked corner called the Monza Wall dumping onto the front straight where the drag strip timing tower was eventually placed.   Probably the most famous feature of the track, it predated Daytona by a year.   It was very rough and a known as a car breaker.   It was leveled for that 1968 Trans-Am race in a flat left hander.     

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CZ_rYtwW8

hemi-hampton

I took a visit to the old MOTORCITY Dragstrip in northern Detroit area about 5+ years ago. It's located near expressway I-94 & 26 mile rd. It was all weeds & run down, not much left of it. My old uncle in his 70's told me some cool stories about it from the 1970's. I'd post some Pictures but they are on my old computer. LEON.

tan top

interesting  , stuff ! thanks for sharing  :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

rt green

how a guy would like to take a metal detector through where the consession stand and pits were.
third string oil changer

Ghoste

I have to go up by the Motorcity one later this week, I should try and get some photos if I can.

66FBCharger

Great topic! Thanks for posted the pictures.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Highbanked Hauler

WOW great pix. Doug, thanks for posting.  North Carolina has a lot of abandon tracks to find and check out. :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 29, 2014, 09:57:05 PM
 WOW great pix. Doug, thanks for posting.  North Carolina has a lot of abandon tracks to find and check out. :2thumbs:

Thanks Al.   Here's another local site a few minutes from home.   It was called Lynndale Farms Road Racing Course.     It operated 1963-1966, then closed.  It was a nice facility that failed financially.   The owner ultimately developed it for housing.  A lot of the original track layout was used for streets in the subdivision.

The original tech barn had been repainted years ago.    That paint is now failing and has revealed the original Sinclair Oil advertising underneath.    The pic with the Superbird was taken a couple of weeks ago.

Aero426

One of the last races in '66.   

Aero426

The same spot today.   I am "spun out".

Aero426

What it looked like in 1964

Aero426

A rare poster.    Great graphics.

Ghoste

I wonder if those are any of the same trees in the before and after.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on September 30, 2014, 12:35:59 PM
I wonder if those are any of the same trees in the before and after.

Have wondered the same thing myself.    They separate the former track property from the farm field that is still behind the trees to this day.    I don't think they were ever cleared.   

Aero426

Going back to Meadowdale, here is a shot at the bottom of the monster front straight.   What you can't see is the dip back by the third car in the line.      You shot down that big hill WFO.   Then you hit the dip and bottomed out.  The third car is just emerging out of the dip, suspension getting light and then about to plunge down the last hill towards turn one.   Nuts.