News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Abandonded drag strips

Started by Ghoste, September 21, 2014, 09:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I was reading that book "Lost Drag Strips" or whatever it is and thought about this one close to me so I went took a couple of photos.  This is Windsor Dragway which operated from 1968 to 1971 and given its proximity to Detroit and border crossing conditions decades before we knew what Muslim terrorists were, many of the greats had a run there.
This first pic is from the starting line looking down the track.

Ghoste

Here is the staging area.

Ghoste

And what's left of the timing tower.

Ghoste

And a gratuitous photo of my Charger at the old spectators entrance.  I took some others but this is a good start.
Any other members live near ghost (without an "e" haha) tracks that the general public have no idea about?

rt green

third string oil changer

el dub

A lot of them around. There was one just south of town called raisen city drag strip I went to as a kid but its gone now. Once the real estate started going up the strips started disappearing. 
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ghoste

Here's an opening day photo for Windsor Dragway.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: el dub on September 21, 2014, 10:27:51 AM
A lot of them around. There was one just south of town called raisen city drag strip

Famous for their four side-by-side Top Fuel racing long before Charlotte.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Drache

The one in my home town was abandoned simply because the Timing Tower was torn down by vandals who wanted the wood only a week or so after being built. The racing club didn't have the money to rebuild and the was left to be broken up by nature.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

mopar2

Sad but  :coolgleamA:  Kool Pics. Thanks For sharing

Aero426

I was at this one yesterday.    The track is called Meadowdale Raceway near Chicago.    Built as a three mile road course in 1958, it had a drag strip provision added for 1968.    It closed in 1969.   Plans to redevelop it as a two mile superspeedway never came to be.   The track property then laid dormant for 35 years and was purchased from the original owners family and converted to park use.   There is a once a year car show on the old main straight.     

The photo is near the finish line of the drag strip.   Return road and road course pits were off to the left.   Grandstands to the right.     The car is sitting on a newly paved walking/bike path laid through the old course.   Pavement to the outside is original. 

Aero426

This was a spectator entrance.   The Pure Oil lettering on the old farm silo was restored in recent years.   Although deemed structurally sound,  local government came "this close" to demolishing the silo to get rid of the liability.    It is the only remaining landmark on the site.   

Aero426

This is the silo in May 1969. 

Aero426

Drag strip timing tower and main straight where the car show is held today.  Photo is from the 1968 Trans-Am race which was the last pro event held there.  

Aero426

Rare shot of a funny car at Meadowdale in 1968.

Aero426

My car near the old staging area.

Aero426

Looking back towards the timing tower.

Aero426

Fuel station.   It used to be very easy to find ten years ago.    Trees are taking it over FAST.   

Aero426

Just to the right of the fuel stand was a food stand.   This is the concrete pad.  A piece of the roof visible as well.   I never knew exactly what this was until I bought a slide on ebay a few weeks ago. 

Aero426

From the grandstand, you can see the Pure fuel island, the concession stand next to it and the power pole feeding the concession stand.    I have often looked for evidence of the scoring stand, but have never found a trace of it.    Much of the infield which was been scraped clean in 1958 is now heavily wooded.

Ghoste

Those are great Doug!  I think I may have heard of that car show.

Aero426

The infield power pole visible in the last photo.    Looking towards the food stand.   Gas island is just to my left.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on September 21, 2014, 06:17:27 PM
Those are great Doug!  I think I may have heard of that car show.

Thanks, it is one of my favorite places to go.    I am sure I have posted some pics of it before.  

We got to take a "lap" of the road course yesterday.     The only down side to the new paving is the old surface to the outside got covered with dirt and grass has grown in.   On the other hand, it isn't a housing development.    It is now in a major suburban area surrounded by homes.   I think the reason it is still here is the heirs of the original owner wanted quite a bit of money for the property.    

Aero426

This was a drive over car bridge.

Aero426

View of the bridge in 1968.