News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General lee exhaust

Started by keith88, September 19, 2014, 07:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

Hi next spring i will being replacing the exhaust on my charger. Would any one know what was used on the General Lee on the TV show i always loved  the sound of it,i thought i remember reading that it was flowmasters but i dont think they had them back then.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Charger-Bodie

Most likely glass packs. I'm not positive on that but it's my guess.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

I would think glass packs too, certainly not Flowmasters.

Indygenerallee

The sound was just edited into the show, the actual sound is not what the actual car on screen sounded like. But yes for late 70's I would go with glasspacks
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Mike DC

No flows in the early 1980s.  

They used glasspacks when they did replace any mufflers on the cars.  

More than anything else though, The GL was a variety of different car sound effects being dubbed over the footage during editing.  It was not typically what was heard at the time of shooting.  

Remember in the 2nd episode "Daisy's Song"?  
Remember in the junkyard, when the boys & Daisy ram the FBI guys from behind, and run them into another parked car?  That's a real glasspack sound.  

Or at least that's a fresh glasspack sound anyway.  

After a few months a set of glasspacks will sounds different (louder) than when you first get them.  The prop-car GLs would rarely have ever seen enough miles to "break in" their glasspacks before the car was totaled.  

knightprowl

That is correct. The vehicles used on the show where stock 1969 dodge chargers and all sounds where edited in such as the dixie horn, engine, landing noises and etc. However they did use a real dixie horn for the early episodes and just used editing for the rest as it was cheaper. Same for the sounds of the engine and landing noises and etc. Most where stock however if some did need a new exhaust they would use glass packs or even put on a stock exhaust from another second unit car but no headers or custom exhausts like flowmaster. They did use custom parts for the first unit cars that where for up close shots.

Which is why they had the engine bays and trunks painted as well as the exterior. Which is why Wayne Wootens real late series first unit general lee has custom headers, moroso valve covers, chrome air filter, the blue radiator hose from the real new york police cars used on the show and etc. However all second unit cars such as LEE 1 where not custom and only used stock parts or whatever the vehicle came with. Which is why LEE 1 has the bronze color underneath and LEE 2 had the blue color because that was the factory color those vehicles had. Which is why they had full roll cages and a removed rear bench seats and only the single three piece roll bar for first unit cars.

The just painted over those second unit cars as they where only for stunts and driving scenes and not for up close parked scenes because they knew they would be wrecked or need repairs more then first unit cars. So other then some cosmetic changes and maybe a little mechanical or electrical to get them up and running for a scene most to all second unit cars where as is. Only first unit cars Like LEE 3 as Mike said was used during the junkyard scene in the second episode where painted all over including the engine bay and trunk and where updated with custom headers, valve covers, hoses, carburetors, glass packs and etc.

Because they only had a few first unit cars throughout the entire series and mostly second unit ones. which is why there are so few remaining original general lees. They where almost all destroyed because of jumping or wrecks and other problems. And the ones that survived and fixed and reused where crushed after the series ended anyways or just left in a junkyard like LEE 1 and forgot about. Until someone finds them or kept them after the show ended or was given to Warner Brothers as most of the 17 remaining general lees where.

Which is why only a hand full of real general lees are in dukes fans hands. Because the rest that did survive where given to cast and crew and to Warner Brothers and used in the reunion movies and 2005 and 2007 movies where they where also wrecked as there second unit car brothers before them where. In other words there are very few surviving general lees out there and that is why they cost so much. It is why LEE 1 even though it was a replica and not the real thing sold for $121,000. Not because it was real which everyone knows now it isn't. But because it was claiming to be real and was once real.

And with no real proof to confirm or deny these claims is why people like Bubba Watson who cares nothing about the dukes of hazzard and has further ruined the once real LEE 1 spends what most of us make in two years on a car at an auction in one day. Because they have the money and are rich but mostly because they want to own something that was real. Not some replica. Be it a car or something else. And that is the main reason someone can sell a general lee on eBay and claim it to be real and produce fake papers saying its this car from this episode or this movie and etc and sell it for 5x what it is really worth.

Because there's no way to prove that it is or isn't the real deal or that the paperwork they have is real or fake. Its what con artists live and thrive on. And why this hobby is going to hell in a hand basket so to speak. Its people like these with all there money and fame that ruin it for us simple folks who just want to own a piece of history be it real or replica and not buy something claiming to be real and ruin it like Bubba Watson has and is doing to LEE 1. As if Travis Bell didn't ruin it bad enough already. Its really sad to see things like this happen. Anyways I have said enough. Sorry for going a bit off topic. It wont happen again.

Thank you and Peace.

lukedukem

I too am looking for general lee exhaust. But I would like to know what they use in the 2005 movie. The sceen when they pick it up from cooters and when rosco opens the gate at night and they fire it up. The lights come on and they come sliding out of the tow yard. Anyone know what they used there. I know it's a long shot.
I also didn't mean to hijack this thread. Sort of.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

knightprowl

As far as I know they used glass packs or custom exhausts like flowmaster or both. Plus they used the 426 hemi in the 2005 and 2007 movies and not the 383 or 440 as the show and reunion movies did minus John Schneider's personal general lee which has the 426 hemi as well or at least did back when the second reunion movie was made in 2000. No show general lees ever used anything bigger then the 440. I am not even sure if they used anything bigger then a 440 four barrel.

I don't think they used the 440 six pack or if they did not to much. Most general lees had a 383 which where for driving scenes and most jumps. A 318 for stunt cars such as the ski mode general lee and possibly small jumps and a 440 for longer and higher jumps because of added power and torque. they also used manual transmissions sometimes especially early on which is one reason you can hear the sound of shifting during driving and jump scenes on some episodes.

Of course this is not news as any dukes fan knows these things and more then I do about them. But for those that are curious I am posting the basic details that I know. Anyways I have explained enough dukes of hazzard history for tonight. Someone with more knowledge on this subject can explain better then me. I mostly know about LEE 1 and not much else as that is the only general lee I really like and care about.

Thank you and Peace.

lukedukem

Thanks for the info. I figured it was a hemi. I'm gonna try to get as close to it as I can. Just love the way it sounds.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Indygenerallee

They would have never used a 528 Hemi in a movie car.. :Twocents:

knightprowl

knightprowl

ws23rt

No questions from me-- :2thumbs:  You are welcome and peace.

Indygenerallee

QuoteWell they did use the 528 hemi. I know because one of the surviving ones used in the movie that was also a close up car had one. Now whether or not the used the 528 hemi in the second unit stunt cars is beyond me. But they did use the 528 hemi in the first unit ones or at least some of them. So yes they did use the 528 hemi.

I can guarantee they did not, Movies are made to make money not spend ridiculous money on a engine for a prop. without pics and proof your argument is invalid.

knightprowl

Well okay then. But If you got any dukes related questions and If I know the answer I will answer to the best of my knowledge. If not then I don't know what to tell you(No Pun Intended). Either way I am just doing my part or at least trying to. Anyways good luck again with your general lee Luke. Best of luck to you.

Thank you and Peace.

knightprowl

Maybe I am wrong then. Well if it isn't the 528 hemi then it was the 426 hemi because they did use a hemi for the first unit cars. My apologizes on that. Never mind on the 528 hemi. That isn't correct so I will edit my posts to reflect it. Not sure where I heard 528 hemi but I though I did somewhere. Then again that was years ago when one was for sale that survived the movie and it said 528 hemi on the listing. For all I know it was a typing error or something. Oh well my mistake. But hey by all means use a 528 hemi if you want. Its a monster engine with tons of power and torque but its up to you. Anyways again my apologizes for the mix up.

Thank you and Peace.

ws23rt

Mike DC

Hemi GLs:

Hollywood doesn't spend that kind of coin for prop cars unnecessarily - but somebody like Chrysler might loan them some real 528 motors just for product placement reasons.  This happened in the 2005 movie.  

In the old TV series they never used a real Hemi.  Just dressed up 383s in the closeup cars and occasionally a 440 in the 2nd-unit cars.  

They really didn't need a ton of horsepower for that kind of dirt road action.  Handling upgrades paid off a lot better for what they were doing.

The engine noise when they roar out of Cooter's in the 2005 movie:

Hate to break it to you, but . . . I recall hearing that the sound used for that was recorded off a hot smallblock Chevy.   :eek2:

keith88

I was thinking glasspacks as well I have a 318 so its not going to be the same sound as a big block,and i kinda figured that it was a edited sound but still liked it anyway.Even if it is a edited sound wonder where it came from and what they used. As for the DOH info i cant get enough of it you can keep that coming the show is what got me interested in cars when i was a early teen back in the day also responsible for my 1st 3 cars being 70 chargers after the frame rotted i bought a 69 camaro which i had for over 20 years and sold to buy the 69 charger that i always wanted to begin with  and have now.
Although it was not in the shape claimed by the guy i got it from I now have my dream car...with a little work to do. :cheers:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Ghoste

I wouldn't worry about the 318, I doubt there are many who can pick your 318 or a big block by the sound and the glasspacks will make that even more so.

Dreamcar

After hearing Bubba Watson drive Lee 1 with Carl Edwards (watch it on youtube) I asked Jim Shine and he was kind enough to check the receipt for me...Flowmaster 50's with that 383 motor
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

mopar2

Hate to break it to you, but . . . I recall hearing that the sound used for that was recorded off a hot smallblock Chevy.   :eek2:

[/quote]

Yes that killer sound in the 2005 was a small block Chevy in a Camaro  :'( Bites but true.
Glass packs during later years when they finally started standardizing the GL's some.
What's left of Lee 1 Flowmaster 50's Listen to the video of Watson taking some guy for a ride, car sounds good.

I was running Flow master Supper 44's on mine (I love the sound of Flows, Outside a car LOL) But have changed to Dynomax, which is a glass pack. It's the one Ron Fierfigeter recommends for performance. It's a straight through design unlike the turbulence glass packs with louvers in them.

knightprowl

Thank you for posting that information Dreamcar. I didn't know LEE 1 had custom exhaust mufflers. And flowmaster 50 series at that ;D. And since Jim Shine told you then I know it is correct. I guess I am still learning more and more about LEE 1 everyday. Hopefully Jim Shine will get back to me on my list so that I can fix any errors that I have and can make my LEE 1 list even more accurate. So wish me luck on that and we might have the ultimate definitive LEE 1 information list before you know it :icon_smile_big:.

Thank you and Peace.

Dreamcar

Quote from: knightprowl on September 20, 2014, 02:55:43 PM
Thank you for posting that information Dreamcar. I didn't know LEE 1 had custom exhaust mufflers. And flowmaster 50 series at that ;D. And since Jim Shine told you then I know it is correct. I guess I am still learning more and more about LEE 1 everyday. Hopefully Jim Shine will get back to me on my list so that I can fix any errors that I have and can make my LEE 1 list even more accurate. So wish me luck on that and we might have the ultimate definitive LEE 1 information list before you know it :icon_smile_big:.

Thank you and Peace.

You're welcome. FM50s is what they put on during the rebuild (according to Jim), but that doesn't mean Lee1 had somethink like those during filming. However, i figure they installed something similar to what Lee1 had back in the day, and FM50s are probably similar.  :Twocents:
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Mike DC

Yeah, AFAIK Flowmasters did not yet exist until closer to 1990.  I dunno what year they first hit the scene but they were not on the map in the fall of 1978.