News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installed my headliner today!

Started by svalkid, September 18, 2014, 10:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svalkid

I am stoked with how my headliner came out. After reading a bunch of threads. Checking out youtube videos. Getting an estimate of 6-800 bucks. I said heck, 85 bucks for headliner and insulation, 10 bucks for a tool, I CAN DO THIS. 5 hours later. Done.
Thanks for the input on all of my questions. Was able to fabricate a retainer wire for the rear that I was missing. Didn't have to remove any glass. Didn't take out the seats. Just crawled around a lot.
When I got the car it didn't have a headliner so it looks great. I think I will leave the visors off for now, it looks nice without them. Gonna look for a tinted window strip.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

svalkid

Shakey

Here's to you for taking on that aspect of the build!   :cheers:

While I have done a lot on my car myself, and surprised myself with the results (my first resto) doing the headliner and vinyl top was not something I was willing to take on as they are so highly visible.

As stated, post some photos when you can!   :thumbs:

CDN72SE

Good for you on taking the job on, looking forward to the pictures and any tips you have.
1972 Charger SE

green69rt

Yes, tell us how it worked out and the steps you took to make it nice and tight!!!  Pics would be great!!!

HANDM

Quote from: svalkid on September 18, 2014, 10:37:49 PM
I am stoked with how my headliner came out. After reading a bunch of threads. Checking out youtube videos. Getting an estimate of 6-800 bucks. I said heck, 85 bucks for headliner and insulation, 10 bucks for a tool, I CAN DO THIS. 5 hours later. Done.
Thanks for the input on all of my questions. Was able to fabricate a retainer wire for the rear that I was missing. Didn't have to remove any glass. Didn't take out the seats. Just crawled around a lot.
When I got the car it didn't have a headliner so it looks great. I think I will leave the visors off for now, it looks nice without them. Gonna look for a tinted window strip.

I thought so too, until the sun came out..........

Dino

Good job!

You need visors, the tinted window strip is not gonna cut it.  Besides, the headliner will still look just fine with the visors.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

PlainfieldCharger

I did only my sail panel area and it was very tedious. Love to see some pics of the full job :drool5:

svalkid

When I got the car, the visors were not installed but there was a pair in the trunk. I think they came off of a different car cause the visor part is too long. I know you can push to rods in on both sides but they are still too long. Have to find some other ones.
I was hoping the Arizona heat would suck some of the wrinkles out of the headliner, but no such luck yet. Thus the delay in pics. The job isn't perfect but I am happy with it.

svalkid

Oh, my sail panel doesn't snug up against the headliner. They were also in the trunk and I don't know if they warped out or what. I have about an inch and a half gap.

svalkid

Don't look at the waves,, I don't.

svalkid

I have never claimed to be a perfectionist. Cheap, yes. I saved at least 600 bucks doing it myself.

AZMoparboy

Hi, I too took on the headliner myself on my 73 charger, did my homework reading articles and the Internet. Don't know where I read it but taking a hairdryer very carefully, moving it closer and closer to the headliner material, you will be amazed as it will take out all of the wrinkles that we see in you pic's. It will come out just like the factory, just what I did  :Twocents:. I like hearing about guys taking on taboo jobs and it coming out looking and working just like the factory  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

How did they get them snug on the assembly line?