News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car Stolen 46 Years Ago Returned.

Started by Old Moparz, September 18, 2014, 03:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Another happy ending to a stolen car & it only took 46 years to recover.  :lol:

Along with a few others, this old Jag was on it's way to the Netherlands. I wonder how many "owners" this car had over the years?  :shruggy:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-jaguar-stolen-manhattan-recovered-20140918-story.html

Jaguar stolen from Manhattan in 1968 recovered from cargo ship

A lawyer whose 1967 Jaguar XK-E was stolen outside his Manhattan apartment 46 years ago says he plans to completely restore the classic two-seater after customs officials found it on a cargo ship en route to the Netherlands. The Jaguar and four other missing cars were discovered in late August by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents, who were assigned to inspect cargo leaving the Port of Los Angeles.

Last month, Ivan Schneider got a call from the agency informing him of the discovery. "Who would figure a car would show up 45 years later," Schneider, 82, said.

The other cars recovered through the operation included a 1969 Corvette taken during a burglary in Portland, Ore., 26 years ago, a 1976 Mercedes 280 fraudulently obtained through a real estate scam in 2002, a 2007 Mercedes E350 fraudulently leased in Glendale in 2008 and a 2014 Camaro ZL1 with illegal paperwork. They were all put on display Wednesday inside a Carson warehouse.

Schneider said he plans to have the Jaguar shipped to New York for painting and restoration, which he expects to cost as much as $100,000. He purchased the car for $5,000 after winning a big case. The car was painted a shiny gray and shaped like "a bullet," Schneider said, with a sleek body and oversized headlights. In its current condition, the Jag is worth about $23,600, according to customs estimates.

Schneider said he hopes the fixes will be made by the end of the year. "My Christmas gift," he chuckled.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

JB400

Too bad they didn't find Kenny's Charger along with it.  At least this guy got his car back

Dino

Quote from: JB400 on September 18, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
Too bad they didn't find Kenny's Charger along with it.  At least this guy got his car back

Kenny's young, there's still hope.   :icon_smile_big:

Nice Jag, I bought a 73 E type while in England in '96.  I trailered it to the hotel before leaving for home and some guy offered me more than 10 times what I just paid an hour ago so off it went!  That was one hell of a sweet looking car.  I hope he got it restored as he wanted to and I hope the lawyer will have his back in pristine condition before long.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Dino on September 18, 2014, 03:32:23 PM

Nice Jag, I bought a 73 E type while in England in '96.  I trailered it to the hotel before leaving for home and some guy offered me more than 10 times what I just paid an hour ago so off it went!  That was one hell of a sweet looking car.  I hope he got it restored as he wanted to and I hope the lawyer will have his back in pristine condition before long.

Ever since I was a kid I loved the E-Types & still have a Matchbox car of one.  :icon_smile_big:

Can't say I blame you for selling it at 10 times the cost. I'd probably have done the same.  :scratchchin:  I'd really like to know what the deal was on this car to have gone unnoticed for 46 years. It sure looks like it was driven & not stored away & hidden.   :shruggy:

Found a few other photos & it appears that it's really not in bad shape, but who knows without crawling around in it?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Dino

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 18, 2014, 04:07:25 PM
Quote from: Dino on September 18, 2014, 03:32:23 PM

Nice Jag, I bought a 73 E type while in England in '96.  I trailered it to the hotel before leaving for home and some guy offered me more than 10 times what I just paid an hour ago so off it went!  That was one hell of a sweet looking car.  I hope he got it restored as he wanted to and I hope the lawyer will have his back in pristine condition before long.

Ever since I was a kid I loved the E-Types & still have a Matchbox car of one.  :icon_smile_big:

Can't say I blame you for selling it at 10 times the cost. I'd probably have done the same.  :scratchchin:  I'd really like to know what the deal was on this car to have gone unnoticed for 46 years. It sure looks like it was driven & not stored away & hidden.   :shruggy:

I'd like to know the full story as well!

I stumbled onto the jag while looking for something else.  The owner almost begged me to take it as he was a hoarder and the county threatened to take it all if he did not clean up.  I really didn't want to sell but I was 22 and the funds were welcome.  I never regretted selling but I sometimes wonder what became of it.

Old Moparz

If you have the VIN can you research it where you are?   :shruggy:

Maybe even look at a Jag forum or club.

That sounds like work, never mind.  :smilielol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Dino

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 18, 2014, 04:19:00 PM
If you have the VIN can you research it where you are?   :shruggy:

Maybe even look at a Jag forum or club.

That sounds like work, never mind.  :smilielol:

:lol:

No I lost that VIN ages ago but that's okay.  I just hope it got saved, it needed quite a bit of work.

stripedelete

Anyone find it unsettling ( in a star chamber kind of way) that a group of cars stolen in different decades end up on the same ship?  I guess I always thought stolen cars were washed or parted out. I never considered an underground market connected enough that they could all end up on the same ship via some kind of international stolen car wholesaler.

Guess I'm a bit naive.

myk

Quote from: stripedelete on September 18, 2014, 10:08:45 PM
Anyone find it unsettling ( in a star chamber kind of way) that a group of cars stolen in different decades end up on the same ship?  I guess I always thought stolen cars were washed or parted out. I never considered an underground market connected enough that they could all end up on the same ship via some kind of international stolen car wholesaler.

Guess I'm a bit naive.

Yes, there's quite the black market for cars being sold overseas.  Honestly it ticks me off that there are people across the globe that are willing partake in something that criminal.  I have to say that the 2014 Camaro is strange to me.  How does a brand new car wind up in that sort of a situation?  Sounds like it went from the plant or the dealership and right into the cargo ship...