News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For those with aftermarket wiring harnesses

Started by Dreamcar, September 18, 2014, 12:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I'm not sure what it's called, but near the brake booster the factory wiring comes through the firewall via a black square connector. I believe there's space for three harnesses to hook up to it but I could be wrong.

Anyway, what do you do with the connector when using an aftermarket harness? Do you re-use the connector? Pics are welcome to see what it looks like.

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

comet_666

Bulkhead connector.
I believe with a Painless wiring kit it comes with a grommet that replaces the bulkhead connector but I could be wrong.

myk

Quote from: comet_666 on September 18, 2014, 01:18:11 PM
Bulkhead connector.
I believe with a Painless wiring kit it comes with a grommet that replaces the bulkhead connector but I could be wrong.

Exactly.  On my car the bulkhead assembly is removed and a plate with a hole is installed.  The wiring harness passes through this and leads to the fuse box under the dash...

Dreamcar

Are stock gauges able to work with an aftermarket harness? I'd like to keep those if I went with an aftermarket harness.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Ghoste

You wire it up yourself so thats up to you.  Its kind of a kit that you put together.

myk

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 19, 2014, 01:35:57 PM
Are stock gauges able to work with an aftermarket harness? I'd like to keep those if I went with an aftermarket harness.

Yes, my stock gauges are wired to my aftermarket harness.  Electricity knows no brand-names, so as long as it's hooked up properly it will work...

redmist

I my setup (I am rewiring the whole car now) I went low on the firewall, and close to the inner fender under the booster. I put the pass through grommet there. I am trying to hide my wires some though. I will make a simple block off plate for the factory location.

On a side note, after diving into the wiring, and re-doing it with the Ron Francis EXPRESS Kit, I realize how craptastic the factory configuration is.
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

myk

Quote from: redmist on September 20, 2014, 11:16:21 PM
I my setup (I am rewiring the whole car now) I went low on the firewall, and close to the inner fender under the booster. I put the pass through grommet there. I am trying to hide my wires some though. I will make a simple block off plate for the factory location.

On a side note, after diving into the wiring, and re-doing it with the Ron Francis EXPRESS Kit, I realize how craptastic the factory configuration is.

Damn that's a good location...

Dreamcar

How do you like the RF kit?

TexasStroker

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 21, 2014, 06:03:57 AM

How do you like the RF kit?

Finally, first hand feedback!  I am planning to order an Express myself...Curious how you like it with your first hand install.  Any info will be much appreciated.  It is what I was leaning towards, what Ron recommended, and as much as I hate going against the board's expert opinion, I just think for what I am doing it would be better than modifying the M&H offering.

I also thought of doing what you are talking about with routing it thru the inner fender area...I was planning to put some conduit in to shield it.  Super trick, hidden wiring, that is pretty easy  to pull off  :icon_smile_cool:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!