News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Challenger #'s matching 340 non #'s 4 speed WIW

Started by E86/A47, September 17, 2014, 11:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E86/A47

I am going to look at and possibly purchase a 72 Challenger this afternoon. I only noticed a couple things but maybe you all will see things I missed. What I noticed is that plum crazy was not a color option in 72 and the bumpers should be chrome. I posted at a challenger forum but it doesn't seem to get as much traffic. Hoping you experts might have some input even though it's not a charger.

Below is the description from the ad and some photos. What do you think it's worth? Is 25K reasonable?

1972 Dodge Challenger 340 4 speed. Matching #'s engine, 72 dated transmission. Build sheet, fender tag, all body #'s match. I have had this car since around 2009 and bought it as a roller with new paint. I have since rebuilt pretty much everything front to rear. Probably easier to list what I didn't do. But to give you a quick idea: Rebuilt the original 340 engine to 68-71 specs with a true 10-1 compression, bowl ported 2.02/1.6 J heads. New pistons/rods/rings/bearings HV oil pump etc. Original cast iron 340 TQ intake and early exhaust manifolds. Correct 72 4 speed carb all rebuilt. Rebuilt transmission with tons of new parts. New center force clutch, new pilot and throw-out bearing. Original 72 4 speed bell housing and inspection covers. All new 4 speed linkage from Brewers performance including z-bar, clutch rod, adjuster kit, and pivots/seals/clips. Everything painted with single stage enamel or urethane paint and detailed. Turned and balanced flywheel. New engine and trans mounts. New u-joints and balanced driveshaft. 3.91 sure grip rear end that was rebuilt a few years ago but had little miles on it in my last car. New gas tank, sending unit, and 3/8" fuel line front to rear. Every brake line on it is new as well as every part in the rear drums from wheels cylinders to adjuster. New master cylinder, new brake booster you name it. Rebuilt power steering box, new pitman arm. Front end redone before me about all I didn't have to do! New mopar superstock leaf springs and hangers. New 15x8 and 15x7 steel wheels and cooper cobra radial tires. Full true 2.5" dual exhaust with TTI head pipes, the rest custom bent with flowmaster mufflers. Sounds great! New front calipers, brake pads you get the picture. Its a new car mechanically. New aluminum radiator, runs cool. Aluminum high flow water pump. Everything new under the hood as well including wiring harness for engine and lights, all electronics like ignition box, starter relay, ballast, battery cables, starter (mopar mini high torque) rebuilt and detailed wiper motor, original style wire looms. New washer bottle (manual foot pump) Original air cleaner redone, k&n filter. New PS pump and alternator. New mopar adjustable distributor and MSD plug wires. Engine broken in and only ran on high ZDDP cenpeco oil. Car has maybe 200 miles on it. When I bought it had new paint in plum crazy purple. Was black originally with the white interior, pretty rare combo. Also had a white pin stripe down the side. I was told it had new quarters and trunk pan done, not sure who painted it. Car is not perfect but a very nice driver. I also redid the interior front to back with new legendary door panels, carpet, seat covers, sill plates etc. Over $2200 in parts alone inside and it looks great if I do say so. Original console 4 speed car. Original floors were/are excellent. Car is pretty much fresh front to rear. Needs a few very small finishing touches like a choke timer for the carb, and maybe some new door handles which is about all I didn't replace. Also has a new remote drivers mirror and pit stop gas cap. The list goes on but you get the picture. Runs and drives excellent, everything works (forgot to mention all new e-brake cables and parts from pedal back) from reverse light in dash to original AM radio and door buzzer.

E86/A47

More pics.

E86/A47

more pics

ACUDANUT

Damn, that's nice. But imo, a 72-74 Challenger ain't worth 25K.  If it was a 70-71 than, hell yea.

E86/A47

Thank you! I know the 70-71 are more desirable, probably a lot to due with the larger motor availability. 340 being the largest starting in 72. I am still interested in this car mostly because it is basically brand new but I don't want to over pay. Any suggestions on what to offer?

wingcar

IF the car runs as well as it looks, everything works, and there is no rust hidden anywhere....that is not a bad price.  Yes, a bid high for a post 71 Challenger, but you have to consider...what would it take both in money and your time to build another as nice.  Do a search on the net and see what they are selling for, then offer perhaps a bit less than the going rate....just don't insult the guy....remember he had to put money into the car in order to get it that nice.....(how bad do you want it, is the real question)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Bob

It's somewhere in the middle of average and high retail according to NADA. Not a reliable source but maybe a reference point.
Very nice car.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1972/Dodge/Challenger/2-Door-Hardtop/Values

Average $21,465

High $32,265

E86/A47

Troy

I like it! And I'm not really a fan of any Challenger after 1970. I'm partial to small block E-bodies, 4-speeds, and white interiors. This car is basically new and I doubt you could build it for anywhere near the asking price. I do see some areas where corners were cut (painted trim and bumpers etc.) but, overall, most of the slight modifications make it look better than stock (to me). I see it was originally black with a white interior. Damn that's rare and there's no way I'd have made it purple - but it still looks good. Building the 340 to earlier specs is way better than stock. It should really like the 3.91 gears but will likely be a bear on the highway. If you want something cool and fun to drive *today* that doesn't cost a fortune then there probably aren't a lot of better choices. If you want an "investment" or show winning car this isn't it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

E86/A47

Thanks Troy! I want something to drive so maybe it's the one. More feedback is appreciated but I'm going to the bank before I go see it so I might have a Challenger later....?

ACUDANUT

I don't know how Troy can dismiss a 71 R/T.  The grill and side scoops are far too cool.

Indygenerallee

IMO a 71 Challenger was the pinnacle in 70-74 Challenger styling. That 72 is more like a 18,500 car
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 17, 2014, 12:32:12 PM
I don't know how Troy can dismiss a 71 R/T.  The grill and side scoops are far too cool.
Because I think they look ugly? Hate the grill, hate the scoops, hate the taillights. Really, it's not like I'm on the fence about them - I truly hate the design. I'm very picky!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

73rallye440magnum

Reminded me of this car. Compare with this 1970 in lesser condition.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/4618082130.html

I think the e-body market is weaker than the 68-70 Charger market right now. I'm surprised to say that. I'm not a fan of painted trim, but that looks like a very clean car. If it runs and drives as good as it looks I think the price is fair.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

TUFCAT

Not worth the money.  Its a freestyle restoration...and a sloppy one at that.  :Twocents:  :Twocents:   The trunk floor looks horrible, and I'm sure that only the beginning.  Those are probably Sherman quarters. The character lines looks wrong (thick). I have a feeling you'll be fixing/chasing problems for years....are those dents on the drivers side fender apron?  :shruggy:  

fy469rtse

Nice car ? How many reasonable ones are out there,
I like it, when you go look at it , get him to pull out all the photos he has , ! Had photo of floors so he's got more
I thought something was wrong with the trunk floor as well, has it been high filled to hide things ,
Again photos from before, and receipts of all work done car .
Has a lot of paint on it, or beater didn't pay attention when blocking body lines ? You will have to make up your own mind when you see it in person
Lots of work already done , and looks like it might have been in reasonable shape to start with

6spd68

Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on September 17, 2014, 08:52:34 PM
Reminded me of this car. Compare with this 1970 in lesser condition.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/4618082130.html

I think the e-body market is weaker than the 68-70 Charger market right now. I'm surprised to say that. I'm not a fan of painted trim, but that looks like a very clean car. If it runs and drives as good as it looks I think the price is fair.

I'd take that one over the 72, but I think you've got a decent car there.  Tufcat makes some good point though.
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

73rallye440magnum

WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Troy on September 17, 2014, 02:03:19 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 17, 2014, 12:32:12 PM
Because I think they look ugly? Hate the grill, hate the scoops, hate the taillights. Really, it's not like I'm on the fence about them - I truly hate the design. I'm very picky!

Troy

To each his own.  I am the opposite.  71 Cuda's and Challengers are the best.

RJS

E86/A47

I've not fully decided to pass yet but am leaning that way. Maybe you guys can encourage me to go for it. The guy was very nice and took a bunch of time to show me the car and what he had done plus showed me his cars, a 74 cuda and a 67 GTX hemi car with a 440 now. He had some others too.

My biggest issue with the car was there appeared to be a decent amount of bondo right behind the driver side window between the 1/4 and the sail panel, there were lines from where it wasn't sanded good enough. There was a small area of paint flaking on the passenger fender. The rest of the things were fairly small: trim was dented and not polished, headliner was new but poorly installed and it looks like a mouse got at it and chewed a small hole (located right under the passenger visor,) needs an electric choke switch which apparently are hard to find, he wasn't sure why the previous owner who did all the body work painted the trunk the way it was but it was a new trunk pan, the rear spoiler seemed a little uneven, the door gaps too and the trunk and hood very slightly off.

The positives: like some have said you couldn't build a car this nice for the money, he had a big stack of receipts and as you can see from the pics almost everything mechanical (the work he did) was new or reconditioned, the car ran nicely, sounds really mean!, it looks very nice (except those two spots I mentioned which you need to be up close to see,) #'s matching (except the tranny) with build sheet, 4 speed, turn key car (with a few minor things that need to be done.)

Another positive for me is that it is local, I could probably find a more desirable 70 or even a 2nd gen charger for a bit more money but am not seeing anything locally and I don't want to travel 1/2 way across the country to look at a car that I may not purchase.

I am not 100% out yet but I will share the eBay auction link with you all, it has more pictures, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Challenger-340-1972-dodge-challenger-340-4-speed-matching-s-pistol-grip-plum-crazy-white-/221549684627?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339563e793&item=221549684627&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I don't need a show car, just something I can drive and take to some local car shows. Let me know if I am a dumb ass for letting this one slip away.

Thanks for all the input!

crj1968

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 17, 2014, 09:25:45 PM
Not worth the money.  Its a freestyle restoration...and a sloppy one at that.  :Twocents:  :Twocents:   The trunk floor looks horrible, and I'm sure that only the beginning.  Those are probably Sherman quarters. The character lines looks wrong (thick). I have a feeling you'll be fixing/chasing problems for years....are those dents on the drivers side fender apron?  :shruggy:  

Cool car, I thought the same thing that rear quarter body line looks weird.  :shruggy:

But you saw it in person so there ya go.  I think for $25K though...there's a lot out there to look at.

TUFCAT

Quote from: E86/A47 on September 19, 2014, 10:05:01 AM

The positives: like some have said you couldn't build a car this nice for the money, he had a big stack of receipts and as you can see from the pics almost everything mechanical (the work he did) was new or reconditioned, the car ran nicely, sounds really mean!

Just because there's a stack of receipts - it means absolutely nothing compared to what the car's actually worth. Those receipts could equate to three times the market value and it wouldn't matter.  The money spent on a restoration should not dictate the selling price.

Whether or not you could build one for that price also means nothing. You are not building one...you're buying one.  Build price and market value, once again means nothing in the real world.

Quote from: E86/A47 on September 19, 2014, 10:05:01 AM

Let me know if I am a dumb ass for letting this one slip away.

Thanks for all the input!

No...you're smart!   From the pictures I could already tell the body work sucks!  Its an amateurish restoration at best.....its time to pass.  Not worth the money.    

Indygenerallee

Those are old cheap quarters (even before Goodmark) I installed a set of those quarters on a 71 Challenger back in 1997 and the body lines were horrific especially on that main body line, I would definitely pass on that 72.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.