News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need help with 69 charger

Started by tucknroll, September 15, 2014, 05:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

hey guys, my car has run good for 2 years until the last few weeks i noticed a miss when going up hill. sunday morning it barely ran and acted like it was running out of gas but it has a full tank. it misses something awful. i put new plugs in and no change. any suggestions. thanks

fy469rtse

Just with what you have listed,
having trouble getting fuel up to carby, i would look at fuel filter, float level in carby ,
then if having no luck,
would connect gauge to fuel line and see what pressure I'm getting from pump,
if pump suspect, also inspect fuel pump rod , seen a few of these worn down, if worn wont activate pump fully and will seem like pump is tired ,
good luck see how you go,

Hard Charger

tucknroll

one more thing, i got it running pretty good and ran it hard for about ten minutes, parked it and tried to drive it again a few hours later and it was back to barely getting out of the driveway.

stripedelete

tucknroll

i put a new ballast resistor on and started it up. it died and i left the key on and the resistor started smoking. it wasn't real tight against the firewall. does it have to be? thanks

tucknroll

and the new resistor looks different from the old one. is that ok?

69wannabe

You running point's or is it electronic ignition?? Would be good to know what kind of carb you are running and maybe need to check fuel pressure. If you still running points it may need a new set of points and a good condensor and be sure to get a premium set and not the cheap ones or you will be back in a day or two for more of them. The standard brand blue streak points and condensor's are pretty good but may prove hard to come up with. Point's are kind of out dated these days unless you just want to keep it original. The coil can also give you some rough running issues possibly...

tucknroll

points. im hauling it to a friend of my dads today. a drag racing guy named johnny laboose that is supposed to be mopar guru. hope to have an update later today!

tucknroll

its fixed. the points were bad. he wants me to put a 4 barrel on it. its all original now with a 2 barrel but hes got the stuff to change it. what would you guys do?

69wannabe

That's the first thing I did to my charger when I got it home, ordered me a carb and intake and got that 2 barrel off there!! :yesnod:

tucknroll

did it give you more power? ive read other threads were guys said it wont.

Dino

The cam is different on 2 barrel cars so you'd have to change that as well.  Do you feel you need a 4 barrel?  I'm so tired of mismatched parts on my car that I am geting it back to stock or very close to it.  They tuned these things as is for a reason.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tucknroll

im leaning towards keeping it original. im not going to be racing or anything.

Dino

Quote from: tucknroll on September 18, 2014, 03:15:46 PM
im leaning towards keeping it original. im not going to be racing or anything.

I think that's a wise decision.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69wannabe

Quote from: tucknroll on September 18, 2014, 03:02:17 PM
did it give you more power? ive read other threads were guys said it wont.

It ran fine, I just put a 600 cfm on it. Not overkill on a 383 at all. The 383 heads and 440 heads from 68 and up are all the same doesn't matter if it came with a two or four barrel. The two barrel carb that was on my car when I bought it was pretty much junk so I had to do something so I swapped it to a four barrel. If your car runs good like it is then you may just drive it awhile until you decide to make changes later. :yesnod:

tucknroll

well, the car is running great on level roads or down hill but up hill or taking off fast at red light it still has a miss and a big one. its driving me nuts!  also, what is the black wire that went to the plate under the passenger side dash that goes to the heater control valve? seems like all my trouble started when i pulled the hcv off the car.

tucknroll

i kept hearing a pop under the dash where the plate that goes to the hcv so i checked it out and that black wire wasn't grounded so i grounded it and haven't had a miss since.

c00nhunterjoe

while the cams are different between 2 and 4 barrel engines, i think its safe to say that going from a 2 to a 4 and getting a better intake on it will make more horsepower and torque. no, it wont be a race car, but a 650 and a performer intake would wake it up. you have 2 tons of fun that you are trying to get moving.