News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A little troubleshooting help...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, September 14, 2014, 06:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

The other morning I went out to start my car and well it would not turn over, but just crank all day long.  I checked:
battery-good
V.R.-good
ballast-good
ECU-good
coil checks-good

Then did some troubleshooting and took out my air filter.  I tried to turn her over again and noticed gas gushing out the vent tube like a geyser.  Last time this happened to me was when the dizzy was not connected to ECU. Checked the connection and this time it was connected.  Checked and took apart the front floats for needle and seat and looked clean, but did not spray any carb cleaner on it since the float freely moved.

So now im thinking Dizzy is bad so I open it up and everything looked good, but changed the rotor and cap anyways.  Did my checks on the coil pickup on OHM check and it came to 350ohm which is good.

One thing I did do that was suggested was to mash the gas pedal all the way down while cranking and see if it fires.  Well I did that and it actually did fire and some smoke came out of the carb and it idled, weakly, for 30secs and BAM the geyser came back.

So is this a needle and seat issue or a dizzy being weak? 

firefighter3931

A weak spark or gas fouled plugs will often produce the difficult starting issues you're describing. While cranking the engine you should see a nice blue/white spark....a dull orange/yellow spark indicates excessive resistance in the ignition system somewhere  :scope:

Plug wires should have less than 300 ohms/ft of resistance so check that out as well  :yesnod:

Heat range on the spark plugs can also cause problems.....if the plugs are too cold they will foul out.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BSB67

Yes, the evidence strongly suggests that it is the carb float/needle and seat.

When you get that fixed you should install new plugs.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

1974dodgecharger

will go home and clean the needle/seat setup with carb cleaner now since I bought some and retest it.  If this does not fix it I know its the dizzy for sure.  Either way Im gonna ditch this dizzy the MP electronic since they don't even make it anymore after I did a quick google gonna do another route.  :icon_smile_big:

1974dodgecharger

did a voltage test on the reluctor and it seems I get no signal when its cranking so that's bad also did a spark plug test. Took a boot out grabbed a spare spark plug and cranked her and tried to watch if I was getting any spark and nadda.....seems reluctor is bad, but still im going another route and in 3 weeks I will post pics on what it is....pretty exciting since this person told me something I liked to hear.  :icon_smile_big:

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 14, 2014, 07:17:48 AM
will go home and clean the needle/seat setup with carb cleaner now since I bought some and retest it.  If this does not fix it I know its the dizzy for sure.  Either way Im gonna ditch this dizzy the MP electronic since they don't even make it anymore after I did a quick google gonna do another route.  :icon_smile_big:

Time to go Firecore...